• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Getting ready for the weekend tonight. Hunting with my kids this weekend then heading north Sunday night. Hitting the Michigan opener on Monday. Then do some repairs on the cabin. Some chances of snow.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Well. I don’t get to go out opening gun day. I brought our pig back from the processor tonight and could barely close the freezer door. Next beef will be in spring - this fall beef just kills deer hunting!

Time to spend a day canning and making freezer space. I got my buck already.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    We'd update. Sat all day. Saw an 8 pointer just inside the ears at 20 yds at 1130. Just cruisin through. Sat out Thursday. Hit it again fri. Good luck guys

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in, cold and windy. Noticed no small animals or birds were out. Deer that were moving were acting more like they were pushed than feeding and all moving south to north so I'm guessing my southern neighbors got a later start. Not many gun shots heard.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Skunked for me this morning, around Clayton IN. Didn't see or hear anything. Heard a few gun shots from far off.15 mph windy, and not in my favor.

Still had a good time introducing my 7 year old to the reality of deer hunting - sitting in the blind waiting for something to happen.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Still in the stand. Watched a few birds and squirrels. Haven't seen any deer. Heard a few shots, 1 was pretty close. Watched the neighbor do something in the woods, then tried to leave and got his truck stuck. Pretty sure that ran everything out of here.

Cold and windy. Got some sleet for about 30 seconds a couple hours ago.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Had a big 8 stand in front of the blind for over a minute, broadside, grandson didn't shoot.

Big doe came running after the buck, stood broadside for 30 sec, grandson didn't shoot.

I told him if he is waiting for a bigger buck than that for a first deer you might be waiting a long time.

I am going armed later, if he doesn't shoot, I will. My trigger finger is tired from pulling the imaginary trigger 150+ times while the buck was standing there...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Just happened to be walking the trail in the opposite direction this guy was on this morning. Ok there was a little more planning than that. But not much. State Forest land Morgan County. Rossi 92 16” in .45 Colt. 250gr XTP over 18gr 2400. (Ruger Only!)

Attachments

• 60C1F2D0-9C33-4601-961A-5918CEE229DE.jpeg
      60C1F2D0-9C33-4601-961A-5918CEE229DE.jpeg
      4.6 MB · Views: 42
    • 551307E0-2E38-47A4-B701-55565227FD04.jpeg
      551307E0-2E38-47A4-B701-55565227FD04.jpeg
      4.2 MB · Views: 42

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    OK, second trip to the blind. Grandson still primary shooter.

After about 45min in the blind the same buck comes back out where he had gone in earlier and traverses the whole 70 yards from right to left at a slow meandering walk. Walking in grass with the tree line behind him. Again, no shot.

Tomorrow, I am the primary shooter...

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Around 11:15 this guy ran across a patch chasing a doe. She stepped off into the tree line and he decided to take a break and nibble on some pine boughs for a bit. Had him dead to rights, broadside at 46.5 yds, let an arrow fly and missed him too low. Broadhead must have nicked him judging by the pile of white hair and few drops of blood. No blood on the arrow or fletchings. Biggest buck I've seen in a few years.

Attachments

• IMG-20211113-WA0003.jpg
      IMG-20211113-WA0003.jpg
      251.6 KB · Views: 48
    Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    twice passed on a 4 point today, once this morning and then again for the afternoon hunt. saw a few doe but none within range of the 12 gauge. heard 4 shots on neighboring properties around 30 minutes after sunrise and worried about the big ten point ive been watching on my cameras but talked to the neighbors and no one took anything bigger than an eight. getting back after it tomorrow. good luck out there everyone

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Opening day I saw,
    3 squirrels, a bald eagle, an owl (not at the same time as the squirrels, 5 wild turkey, and 7 deer, but none offered a decent shot.
    All of this before noon.
    Afternoon, nothing.

Today,
    Nothing but a single squirrel until 11am, then a lonely doe, then a button buck.
    At 11:30 a nice 8 pointer stepped in and gave me a broadside shot, so I took it.
    Just over 100 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Field dressed him, then it took me almost an hour to drag him up the hill from 100 yards out.
    Loaded him in the truck and took a break while I filled out the transport tag.

Tag done, I returned to my shooting shack to gather my things.
    Looked out the window and there's a doe about 125 yards out!
    Picked up the Creedmoor and squeezed off another shot.
    She ran south for about 20 yards, then did a 180 and turned back on her tracks heading north.
    Jumping and running, I knew I had hit her, but I lost sight.
    I let her settle down for about 20 minutes and then went looking for a blood trail.
    Problem was, I shot her on the same path that I shot the buck on, and only about 20 feet from where I shot the buck, so there's already blood everywhere.

I went past the gutpile from the buck and started doing sweeps back and forth.
    Sure enough I found a new blood trail.
    Followed it until I lost the trail, but I could see the general direction so off I went.
    Another 200 yards and there she was.
    I got to drag her up the same hill as the buck, but she was 300 yards out instead of 100.

I'm one tired puppy tonight, but I'll be eating good for some time to come.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Opening day I saw,
    3 squirrels, a bald eagle, an owl (not at the same time as the squirrels, 5 wild turkey, and 7 deer, but none offered a decent shot.
    All of this before noon.
    Afternoon, nothing.

Today,
    Nothing but a single squirrel until 11am, then a lonely doe, then a button buck.
    At 11:30 a nice 8 pointer stepped in and gave me a broadside shot, so I took it.
    Just over 100 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Field dressed him, then it took me almost an hour to drag him up the hill from 100 yards out.
    Loaded him in the truck and took a break while I filled out the transport tag.

Tag done, I returned to my shooting shack to gather my things.
    Looked out the window and there's a doe about 125 yards out!
    Picked up the Creedmoor and squeezed off another shot.
    She ran south for about 20 yards, then did a 180 and turned back on her tracks heading north.
    Jumping and running, I knew I had hit her, but I lost sight.
    I let her settle down for about 20 minutes and then went looking for a blood trail.
    Problem was, I shot her on the same path that I shot the buck on, and only about 20 feet from where I shot the buck, so there's already blood everywhere.

I went past the gutpile from the buck and started doing sweeps back and forth.
    Sure enough I found a new blood trail.
    Followed it until I lost the trail, but I could see the general direction so off I went.
    Another 200 yards and there she was.
    I got to drag her up the same hill as the buck, but she was 300 yards out instead of 100.

I'm one tired puppy tonight, but I'll be eating good for some time to come.

Just curious where you hit the doe? Last year I took 2 does with my 6.5 creedmoor, both 100-125 yard double lung shots and both deer still ran over 100 yards.

Top Bottom