• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Seen nothing this morning wind picking up here.But every night see deer crossing road form corn feild to corn feild .

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Seen nothing this morning wind picking up here.But every night see deer crossing road form corn feild to corn feild .

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Had 15 turkeys walk up on my blind this morning could only get a quick pic of a few of them. No bucks this year. 7 different doe in a group of 3 and a group of 4. Very unusual firearm season for me.

Attachments

• 20211117_103241.jpg
      20211117_103241.jpg
      1,009.6 KB · Views: 7

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Had 15 turkeys walk up on my blind this morning could only get a quick pic of a few of them. No bucks this year. 7 different doe in a group of 3 and a group of 4. Very unusual firearm season for me.
    i think everyone seeing a unsual season this year seen several does but bucks here seem only to be moveing at night .Hope it get s better with the cold snap comeing.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Enjoying first fruits right now typing this. Barbequed ribs hot off the grill.

It came off the basket rack my son in law took on Saturday evening. Was hanging in the barn until we processed it last night.

It eats like a suckling pig, dry rubbed it and wrapped it tight with foil on the broiler pan in the oven at 170 degrees for 10 hours then take the foil off and let toughen up for 1 hr. Put it on the grill and BBQ sauce of your choice and hand out wash cloths...

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Dam thats makeing me hungry just reading that Mongo will have to try that for sure. Wife just finished some jerky from last years deer meet so will have snacks in the woods .

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Only hunted the Michigan cabin two days. Hard for me to hunt alone.
    I yelled at a guy on Federal land thirty yards behind my crapper. He moved on later.
    So quick question...

I've been looking to find decent spots the last 3 years. This year I was somewhat optimistic because a friend had a 15 acre hay field in the middle of bean fields and told me I could hunt it. Scouting the property with him we bumped a doe and a fawn from a strip of woods behind the field. Woods are about 30 yards deep with a creek. I knew the place could be a good transition zone for deer, and banked on seeing at least that doe and her fawn there bedded down consistently.

So opening morning/afternoon saw absolutely nothing. Wind was blowing, so my expectations were low. Sunday I did see a small doe (the fawn from earlier) walking alone 260 yards out but didn't have a good shot opportunity, and it left after about 15 seconds. That was it all afternoon. Nothing Monday, and nothing Tuesday morning.

I found out Sunday that the owner's grandson has "beaver traps" in the creek and has been "checking his traps" fairly often. Don't know how often, but the young one told me I'd left some gloves in the blind Saturday afternoon. So I'm guessing very frequently. The kid is 10 and doesn't know what he's doing. The friend should probably know enough to tell his grandson to stay out, but he's not a hunter at all so he probably doesn't. I'm not even mad, since the guy is just being nice to me letting me hunt there.

Is the place a lost cause for this year? I took out my hunting gear this morning out of frustration. I just don't have the time to invest in sitting by myself another 8-12 hours this year with nothing to show except some character.
    I've seen my biggest bucks in places like that. They were just cruising through.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very little shooting around here again this year and like last year the drug dealers have chased people out of the HNF.

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Sometime traffic like that kid can be a good thing as I have had people jump up deer and they ran right to me. Yes its upsetting but sometimes it works in your favor also.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Care to elaborate? Didn't know about this.

Drug dealers on the road don't like company when they do their transactions so they put up signs where the hunters park to enter the HNF. The signs run from No Trespassing to I'll shoot your ***. You wouldn't want to leave a car there unattended, so they just go to another section of the forest.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Well a change of venue turned out to be the best thing.

Found this 8 point about 35 minutes after I saw a younger buck chasing hot after a doe. This guy was on their trail, but I was able to make him hesitate long enough with a grunt. Did not have time to get my call out, basically just grunted like I was scolding my kids...

About 150-160 yards with 450 bushmaster. Ran about 20 yards. One lung was basically half shredded, and the other had about a half dollar hole in it. No exit wound. Rifle is Ruger American Ranch, with Silcencerco Hybrid.

JiOgg6p.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Finally saw my first doe in 7 hunts along with does number 2-12. Only two young bucks before I couldn't take that wind any longer. Five minutes before the end of legal shooting time a shooter walks in front of a trail cam 60 yards from where I was hunting. :ugh:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nothing again this morning, but it was a good morning to be in the woods. Lots of animals moving around to observe, just not deer.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I sat this morning. Was climbing out of the blind about 11:15 and saw a doe. Sat back down and saw seven more in the next half hour. No bucks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    basically just grunted like I was scolding my kids...
    Huh. Who would've known that "Get these toys picked up and put them back where they belong! And stop jumping on the beds! And get back to the table and finish your breakfast or I'm shutting off the TV and you'll go back to bed!" would be effective on deer? :):

Top Bottom