• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay...the long lived question on INGO has been answered today!!!!!!!!...this should probably get its own post so if the admins feel it important please do.

Today I got the answer that everyone has been pondering. If you own 5 acres of wooded land that DOES NOT make you a "Land owner" for deer permit items.

I met a very nice DNR C.O. today that stated he understood the confusion and after we talked he read the regs three more times and did additional research to confirm his case.

The original "land owner" regulations were put in place for crop/timber damage caused by deer as a way to "reduce" the damage. NOT as a way for a person who hunts their own land to hunt without permits even if the land may be logged at a later date and time.

The conversation was very cordial and informative. I was issued a warning ticket and required to purchase the proper permit after the fact as a good faith as to the misunderstanding and grey areas of the laws.

I am only posting this because I know it has been discussed on SEVERAL posts on INGO and thought I would share my experiences.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I am hunting on 8 acres in madison county, trail cam has picked up 1 buck & 2 does after 6 pm since early december. I was out yesterday and decided to walk the property after about 10 am. I saw a couple deer tracks, several rabbit tracks & a yote track. I have yet to see a deer when I have been there during hunting times. The neighbor must have seen deer on his property because I heard a couple of shots. Hoping for better luck next season.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Got a good buck at the end of gun season and a doe from "bonus" season.

Debating on whether or not to hunt tomorrow. I know I don't need the meat, but I have a buddy that has not been able to get out this year due to family issues and I have a tag left.

Hopefully I will at least get out for a walk in the woods to see if I can jump something up.

The end of deer season always makes me melancholy.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    bobjones223,

If you are talking about the nuisance deer permits you are right. Landowners of any size land particle that qualifies as "farmland" do not have to purchase deer hunting licenses.

Land Owner Question part 2 | HUNTING INDIANA (hunt-indiana.com)

The Indiana Code, posted below, states the owner of farmland, the owner's spouse, and the owner's children living with the owner are exempt from needing a license when hunting the farmland that is owned. You daughter, although staying at college, would be considered to be living with you which is evident by you claiming her on your taxes.

IC 14-22-11-1"Farmland"; license requirements and conditions; public use airport manager reporting requirements

Sec. 1. (a) As used in this section, "farmland" means agricultural land that is:

(1) devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber, and the raising of livestock; or

(2) assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.

(b) An individual may not take or chase, with or without dogs, a wild animal without having a license, except as follows:

(1) An individual who is a resident or nonresident of Indiana while participating in a field trial that has been sanctioned by the director is not required to possess a license while participating in the trial.

(2) Subject to subsection (d), an owner of farmland located in Indiana who is a resident or nonresident of Indiana and the spouse and children living with the owner may hunt, fish, and trap without a license on the land that the owner owns.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Venison backstrap is getting close to being ready with some roasted root veggies and potatoes. Wood burnner has been fired up and the fire is running smooth.

A little enjoyment following the enjoyable days in the woods.

I ask you, is there anything better than deer hunting?

I am sure there are many things, but in the balance of life deer hunting is high on the list!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Watched five does run across the field next to my house this afternoon. That's more deer than I saw from a stand all season combined lol.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    (2) Subject to subsection (d), an owner of farmland located in Indiana who is a resident or nonresident of Indiana and the spouse and children living with the owner may hunt, fish, and trap without a license on the land that the owner owns.
    I would like to see those two words dropped from the code. In addition to some of the cheapest fees for non residents, Indiana is one of a few who allow non-resident land owners to hunt without a license.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2021
    Brazil
    My season.

Attachments

• 61559237-DA64-4960-BBAE-0AAA667A99E4.jpeg
      61559237-DA64-4960-BBAE-0AAA667A99E4.jpeg
      727.4 KB · Views: 14
    • 67F846B3-BFDF-4179-BC72-4C7586B7DAC8.jpeg
      67F846B3-BFDF-4179-BC72-4C7586B7DAC8.jpeg
      688.7 KB · Views: 14
    • 5F2BD41E-1699-4F60-8F60-1EC046E0185B.jpeg
      5F2BD41E-1699-4F60-8F60-1EC046E0185B.jpeg
      317 KB · Views: 14

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I went to the field one last time tonight. No deer, and two cameras stolen. That's $600 worth of cameras stolen from the same place. I have learned my lesson.

Top Bottom