• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Wabash. But I guess according to ironlike I'm a liar and no one paid higher taxes up to and including 300%, guess people just made crap up and sent too much $$$ to the court house. I don't know why they went up, I don't know about classifications I just know people are outraged and paid a crap load in taxes this year. I even asked my sister the neighbor of the guy paying out....she told me its the truth, but she didn't haven't to pay out more because they got farm land.....she probably lied also, we are all liars.
    Dont all counties have the GIS online where you can look up any property in your county and see what the taxes are. Shows appraised values, etc. Easy to verify.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Dont all counties have the GIS online where you can look up any property in your county and see what the taxes are. Shows appraised values, etc. Easy to verify.
    I can't make heads or tails out of it, but I can see the taxes paid and my son was right...my ex FIL for years and years and years paying only around $500 a year on his land, nothing on that land has changed, same property same everything and now his taxes jumped to over $3000 a year now.....I was just about to post this and went back and took another look.....holy crap I know now what happened.....that land taxes of around $500 was for his property value of around $60k.....they just up the property value to almost $180k !!!!! Holy Crap.....so that might be what they did...up peoples property value up 3x and get more tax $$$$...lousy ^$^*))&^%$@@^*!!! My son probably wasn't aware of that, just knew it had gone high....this county probably did the same to the others.....up the value 3x and whamo, 300% higher taxes. Well isn't that wonderful.....yet farm land didn't go up.....can't have angry farmers, too many of them and you get voted out of office maybe....?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I can't make heads or tails out of it, but I can see the taxes paid and my son was right...my ex FIL for years and years and years paying only around $500 a year on his land, nothing on that land has changed, same property same everything and now his taxes jumped to over $3000 a year now.....I was just about to post this and went back and took another look.....holy crap I know now what happened.....that land taxes of around $500 was for his property value of around $60k.....they just up the property value to almost $180k !!!!! Holy Crap.....so that might be what they did...up peoples property value up 3x and get more tax $$$$...lousy ^$^*))&^%$@@^*!!! My son probably wasn't aware of that, just knew it had gone high....this county probably did the same to the others.....up the value 3x and whamo, 300% higher taxes. Well isn't that wonderful.....yet farm land didn't go up.....can't have angry farmers, too many of them and you get voted out of office maybe....?
    The state did a reassessment several years back and there were a LOT of people paying rates that were very low for many years. I know people in our county who were not being taxed correctly and when the county discovered the mistake, they got huge increases like this. I know a guy who was being taxed for just part of his property. He has two parcels. One with the house and another adjoining parcel with the barn. The county was only billing him for the portion with the house and he never caught it. When the other parcel was listed for tax sale and his house showed up on Zillow as a foreclosure, a friend called him and asked if he was having problems, needed help, etc. He thought the guy was joking until he went online and saw his house listed. That was ugly.

We bought 6 acres that adjoins our parcel several years back. The property had been an 11 acre parcel with a house on it. The seller decided to split it before they sold the house. So the house went with 5 acres and the 6 acres was left as vacant wooded property. A few years after the house sold, they decided to sell the wooded parcel and we grabbed it. We got the first tax bill and it showed the house on our parcel....it was not. It turned out that whoever did the split, made a big mistake. The other people were only paying taxes on the property and when that got corrected, they owed a bunch of back taxes.

Mistakes happen all the time in these county offices. You have to pay attention to those assessments and tax bills for sure.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wabash. But I guess according to ironlike I'm a liar and no one paid higher taxes up to and including 300%, guess people just made crap up and sent too much $$$ to the court house. I don't know why they went up, I don't know about classifications I just know people are outraged and paid a crap load in taxes this year. I even asked my sister the neighbor of the guy paying out....she told me its the truth, but she didn't haven't to pay out more because they got farm land.....she probably lied also, we are all liars.
    I never said that. I said it is not possible for the politicians to raise the taxes. Then gave you examples of what likely happened but you were so focused on blame rather than the what actually happened

This is what you said: “At least they didn't raise it 300% like my County republicans did to our land taxes.”

I said that did not happen as it was not legal and it doesn’t work that way.

Now let’s keep digging and learn why the taxes were raised…

Last edited:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Now we are getting somewhere. How many acres? What was the category? What is the new category?

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Sent my state rep a email. Saying how the dnr was out of line with price increases. My state rwp pushes for constitutional carry cause ya cant charge for a right. So i said we made hunting a individual right under our state constitution so why we charging for it?
    Ummmm...because it costs real dollars to manage the resource, and fund Conservation Officers to potentially go after the goons who believe they deserve and are entitled to kill everything they see, by any means necessary...

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    As I read it and seen the charts they are raising them for all residents and non residents. My bundle cost 68.75 will be 91.00 plus whatever tax on top of that. That’s not including any process fees after the fact. Just my two cents. 5.1 billion in surplus and raise it….??
    The general tax surplus is NOT specific to the Department of Natural Resources, and frankly, have NOTHING to do with each other.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I liked that reply but mistook it to mean Life time hunting. I have and like my life time carry license.
    We never should had to pay for, much less ask permission from the state for the right to carry a firearm. Support the current constitutional carry bill in Indiana, House Bill 1077. You`ll like that MUCH better.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 50 acres in Fountain county and last year my property tax bill for that woods was $19.
    The property is enrolled in a "Classified Forestry" program.
    This limits what we can do, but this was purchased as hunting property anyway.
    More than 80% of the property is in the flood plane so we wouldn't be able to build anyway.

If not for the Classified Forestry program, my taxes for the same property would be $327 p/ year.

There are several programs available that can drastically reduce the average tax bill.
    For my property it was a no brainer.
    Your mileage may vary.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Ummmm...because it costs real dollars to manage the resource, and fund Conservation Officers to potentially go after the goons who believe they deserve and are entitled to kill everything they see, by any means necessary...
    Manage resource? How exactly do they do that? Besides setting bag limits? Theres no more check in stations or anything? Are the cknservations officers also doubling as biologists out there? When a deer got hit by a car and was still alive we called the co and they said they didnt have anyone on shift. And to call the county. They could deal with it in the same way. Seems like we could use the county in same way to go after any supposed poachers as well.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Manage resource? How exactly do they do that? Besides setting bag limits? Theres no more check in stations or anything? Are the cknservations officers also doubling as biologists out there? When a deer got hit by a car and was still alive we called the co and they said they didnt have anyone on shift. And to call the county. They could deal with it in the same way. Seems like we could use the county in same way to go after any supposed poachers as well.
    I understand your frustration, however, Conservation Officers have always been spread thin, and the Sheriff`s Department does many times back them up. But there`s a lot going on behind the scenes managing Hoosier wildlife that the average "expert" has no clue about.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have 50 acres in Fountain county and last year my property tax bill for that woods was $19.
    The property is enrolled in a "Classified Forestry" program.
    This limits what we can do, but this was purchased as hunting property anyway.
    We had several people tell us we should look into doing this to lower our taxes. The taxes on our property that does not have improvements on it is not all that much...200 to 300 dollars a year total for about 50 acres. The 40 acres that includes the house is much higher. When we saw that putting the woods into such a program gives the government the ability to dictate what we do with our property, we decided it wasn't worth it. I'd rather pay the additional taxes.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I understand your frustration, however, Conservation Officers have always been spread thin, and the Sheriff`s Department does many times back them up. But there`s a lot going on behind the scenes managing Hoosier wildlife that the average "expert" has no clue about.

Never claimed to be a "expert" i can only go by what i see.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    We had several people tell us we should look into doing this to lower our taxes. The taxes on our property that does not have improvements on it is not all that much...200 to 300 dollars a year total for about 50 acres. The 40 acres that includes the house is much higher. When we saw that putting the woods into such a program gives the government the ability to dictate what we do with our property, we decided it wasn't worth it. I'd rather pay the additional taxes.
    The stipulations that are attached to the Classified Forest are not restrictive. It promotes forest management. You can harvest timber, hunt , ride horses, atv, foodplots, do anything really. They just ask that you not graze livestock in the woods and build buildings on permanent foundations.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Surely you understand that what you see is literally 0% of what the DNR does...

Surely you understand that what you see is literally 0% of what the DNR does...
    Dont call me surely, ha see what i did there? But i do understand what i see isn't all they do. And ya cant argue that going from 60s to 90s isnt a huge increase and thateveryone should be asking to know exactly where the increased dollar amount will go to. And as for it being a right, when state politicians argue that you cant license a right or charge for it then it should be across the board.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Dont call me surely, ha see what i did there? But i do understand what i see isn't all they do. And ya cant argue that going from 60s to 90s isnt a huge increase and thateveryone should be asking to know exactly where the increased dollar amount will go to. And as for it being a right, when state politicians argue that you cant license a right or charge for it then it should be across the board.
    I understand about the issue of not charging for a right, but...without professional wildlife biologists and wildlife managers, we`d have nothing to hunt. That costs money. Although I bristle at the thought of being forced to pay a fee, and, ask permission from the state to exercise my Second Amendment rights, I am more than happy and willing to pay my share of funding the IDNR. They are understaffed, yet still do a great job with our natural resources.

Edit: as an aside, and because you brought up our rights; please contact your state representatives and politely, but firmly, let them know you expect them to support and pass House Bill1077. This would finally give Hoosier constitutional carry. At least twenty other states have passed constitutional carry, and Indiana needs to join those ranks of true freedom.

Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Who has the lowdown on the Pittman Robertson Act? Firearms and ammunition tax paid by the manufacturer that gets passed to the consumer unnoticed.
    I would like to know what Indiana’s share is and what it goes for.

Top Bottom