• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That sounds like fun. Hunting deer with a 1911 style pistol. I've took a few using revolvers but never a pistol.
    Same.
    I usually used my Taurus Model 44 6.5".
    I finally put a Holosun 507 X2 on it for next time. This was back when Indiana only allowed pistols or shotguns.
    I've gotten away from handgun hunting s8nce they allowed high power rifles.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I didn't consult the rules because I don't know how to measure a semi auto barrel or how the state would. Years past had to be a minimum of 2.5 inch barrel if my memory is correct. Would these pistols meet the minimum barrel length?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I didn't consult the rules because I don't know how to measure a semi auto barrel or how the state would. Years past had to be a minimum of 2.5 inch barrel if my memory is correct. Would these pistols meet the minimum barrel length?
    The rule is 4" and I think you would measure from the end of the chamber for a semi auto.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    d. Handguns:

other than muzzleloading handguns, must have a minimum barrel length of 4 inches
    must fire a bullet of .243 inches in diameter or larger.
    Minimum length cartridge case (w/o the bullet): 1.16 inches long
    Must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches.
    Legal cartridges: .357 MAgnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .357 Herrett, .35 Remington.
    New state law: 10mm Auto and 40 S&W cartridge

This is from 2016. So unless it's changed its 4" and a barrel starts from the chamber on a pistol just like a rifle. Otherwise we all would be illegal carrying a 16" barrel rifle as well.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Make sure you use hot ammo. I saw one used point blank to finish a deer, and the autopsy showed pretty marginal performance, even with hot ammo. Round placement will be very important.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Make sure you use hot ammo. I saw one used point blank to finish a deer, and the autopsy showed pretty marginal performance, even with hot ammo. Round placement will be very important.
    Shot placement is critical when using any rifle as well.
    I like the Hornady XTP bullet 240gr or 300gr for my 44 magnum, and the 200gr for the 10mm for hunting deer.

Top Bottom