• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thefinnnwi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Northwest Indiana/ Japan
    Getting out of the service in 10 months or so and looking at going deer hunting for the first time with my pa. I'm looking for something in a standard caliber (.357 Mag, .44 Mag, etc) and under $700. Where we would be hunting, the max range I'd be taking shots at is roughly 100 yards.

Suggestions please :) Thank you.

Green04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Getting out of the service in 10 months or so and looking at going deer hunting for the first time with my pa. I'm looking for something in a standard caliber (.357 Mag, .44 Mag, etc) and under $700. Where we would be hunting, the max range I'd be taking shots at is roughly 100 yards.

Suggestions please :) Thank you.

.44 mag H&R Handi Rifle, i own one and the thing is a tac driver at 150 yards and in, havnt tried it any further. i promise youl love it. i got mine for 260 brand new in box. and if you look hard enough you can find it a little cheaper, Good luck! hope your happy with what ya get!

ps. thanks for serving.:ar15::ar15:

Green04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    The Marlin 1894 lever rifle comes in right around $550-$600 nib. Avail in .357mag, .44mag. .45colt.....

AMAZING RIFLE i love lever rifles. i forgot you said not over 700, the H&R is a single shot and well well worth every bit of 260. very cheap and very reliable. like i said, i completely forgot you said $700. you have many many options. and there are a LOT of good PCR in that price range.:ar15:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I'm looking for something in a standard caliber (.357 Mag, .44 Mag, etc) and under $700.

Pick up an Encore frame $350 +/-, do your research in the mean time (1.8" cartridges may be legal by 2011) on what barrel to put on it.

I'm currently most fond of the 454 Casull for a "standard caliber", shoot 45 Colt in it if you like.

If the 1.8" regulation goes through, get a 460 S&W and shoot all three through it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. H&R Handi-Rifle "SB2". Pick a "rifle caliber" you like, then send it in and have them put on a barrel for the pistol caliber you like (.44 Mag IMHO if you don't reload). If you get the rifle in a pistol caliber to start on the SB1 frame, you won't be able to put "rifle caliber" barrel on it later.

(If you reload, you can always rechamber a .357 Mag to .357 Max which can match .35 Rem ballistics with a 180-200gr bullet)

2. T/C Encore (same comments on calibers above apply)

3. A lever action in .44 Mag, .45 Colt, or .357.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will put in another vote for the T/C Encore platform. The advantage is the easy barrel changes and with the custom makers there are so many options for other non standard chamberings.

thefinnnwi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Northwest Indiana/ Japan
    I appreciate everyones inputs. I definitely have more than enough time to make my purchase and research. I've checked out the Encore as well as the Contender from T/C before. I hear nothing but good things.

The Marlin I'm interested in mostly due to my pa liking "western" era guns. He's also a big fan of lever actions. Saw a video of a guy lobbing 300gr bullets out of a 44 mag lever action. Didn't expect a pistol caliber to kick so much.

Once again everyone, thank you.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    I recommend a lever over a single shot/break action. Faster follow up if required, and a lot of fun! Caliber of your choice, Marlin, Winchester, Taurus, Rossi...

Travis Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    I agree with Green04 the H&R is the by far the best buy, however it is only a single shot. If you want something besides that with what you are talking about spending you could look into something like a lever action. You could pick a lever action up for somewhere between 500 and 700 depending on what you are looking for and the condition you buy it in. good luck with your search

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Just bought an all weather ruger 77/44 $620 at the 1500 love it

I'll second the Ruger 77/44.:yesway: I paid about $650 with tax at Bradis.

I also have an H&R SB2 with a .44 mag barrel. As far as the single shot issue, with good shot placement, one shot is all you'll need with the .44 mag.

:DJust look at the deer thru the scope and think, "do you feel lucky... well do 'ya punk".:D

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    You and your pa like the lever action, go with it. There are a lot to pick from, find the one you guys like the best and enjoy your time together.

Top Bottom