• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So, I used to always send my deer to a processor to get butchered, but its just getting to expensive. Recently started really focusing on learning to get deer processed myself but I've found I'm going to need at least a few tools to really get it done the way I want. Knives, saws, I'm all good on that. Also got a FoodSaver for Christmas and that is going to save us a lot of time. The two things I'm looking at are going to be a hamburger grinder and a dehydrator. While the hamburger grinder will be used more when processing deer, the dehydrator will have more uses around the house.

The question is, does anyone have any suggestions on a good hamburger grinder thats not going to kill my wallet when I pay for it? Was really hoping not to have to pay 3-4 hundred for one. I have been told to make sure its at least 3/4 hp by a few different people. I've seen a few on amazon but have been hesitant because a lot of them look like chinesium....

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I have this one from harbor freight:

It's worked well for me so far with light use. Be nice to it, and you shouldn't have a problem (that means feeding it slowly, but not letting it run dry, and being sure to cut out all the nasty bits of tendon and hard gristle.)

If you want one that will run and run no matter what you throw at it, I honestly don't think you're going to get one for less than the 300-400 range.

Oh, and I just noticed that the page says in-store only. So I guess this'll only help if you have a Harbor Freight near you...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My sons upgraded the cheap one they bought years back with a lem ??? I believe its a 1hp motor. That thing is a beast compaired to what we used before that one.

But, I believe it was more than your wanted budget.
    I was at FW's Rural King this past Sat, I looked "briefly" at the freeze dryer they had on sale. That was an awakening.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So, I used to always send my deer to a processor to get butchered, but its just getting to expensive. Recently started really focusing on learning to get deer processed myself but I've found I'm going to need at least a few tools to really get it done the way I want. Knives, saws, I'm all good on that. Also got a FoodSaver for Christmas and that is going to save us a lot of time. The two things I'm looking at are going to be a hamburger grinder and a dehydrator. While the hamburger grinder will be used more when processing deer, the dehydrator will have more uses around the house.

The question is, does anyone have any suggestions on a good hamburger grinder thats not going to kill my wallet when I pay for it? Was really hoping not to have to pay 3-4 hundred for one. I have been told to make sure its at least 3/4 hp by a few different people. I've seen a few on amazon but have been hesitant because a lot of them look like chinesium....
    Unless you buy industrial quality grinder you will go through them every couple seasons. That of course depends on how many deer you get and how much burger you grind. Any home use machines will go one to three seasons. JMO

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have the KitchenAid attachment. It works, but I imagine a proper grinder would be much quicker. Also, I recommend mostly freezing the meat before grinding.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I have had 3 ($100ish) grinders over the last decade. I would like a 1HP grinder from LEM or Cabelas, just not ready for that level of investment.
    I had a couple co-workers go dutch on a high dollar grinder only to burn it up in a few years, whether from over use, poor maintenance or poor quality wasn't clear.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well one option is debone and take it to the processor for grinding and packaging. If you’re going to use the grinder more than one day a year I’d recommend NOT cheating out lol I have a cabelas one (not the cheapest) and it works… but not that great and I can only imagine cheaper would make it more nightmarish

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I agree with others about not going cheap. I would look at LEM for sure. They have great reviews and seem reasonable priced to me. If my old Hobart quits some day that’s what I’m gonna get.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I've got an LEM 1/2 horse grinder and an LEM dehydrator. I've been very happy with both. I've done two deer and miscellaneous other grinding with the grinder so my experience there is somewhat limited.

The dehydrator on the other hand has run through 100s of pounds of deer jerky without any problems. It's the 5-tray "Mighty Bite"

I have a few various tools from LEM and have to say that none of them have been a disappointment.

LEM runs sales constantly. I'd sign up for email alerts and wait. I frequently get offers of to 20% off from them.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I fell into a deal. Answered ad on craigslist for guy selling grinder. Wife was divorcing him and he had weekend to clear his garage. Hobart 4822 for 300. Three years ago and its still running strong. You cant feed it fast enough!!!! With attachments its good at sausage stuffing too. Eats LEM's, Harbor freights and Kitchenaids for breakfast!!!

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I have a LEM 1/2HP, IMO a great grinder and more than adequate for an individual to grind up some venison once or twice a year. It is a well built grinder. I have had mine for 12-15 yrs with no issues.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've butchered a few deer now. Gotten by without grounding anything.

Early on I had more waste, but compared to paying for processing (with all of the built in pitfalls of processing,) it was easy to justify. The end result, early on, was the best meat I've ever had. The combination of well handled food from live to cold seems to make all of the difference. And of course, there is the old rumor that your deer from the processor may or may not be from your well handled deer harvest vs Jethro's that layed in the truck bed or hitch basket for a day or three, before even going to process?

One way or another, no more processing for me. The butchering is now part of the hunting.

I don't like any waste, so I concentrate on making sure there is hardly none these days. From canning venison to cooking meat off of bones, right down to bone broth made from the bones cartilage and such. Last year I came up with 4 1/2 pounds of "pulled venison" from pressure cooking the ribs and spine. Excellent sandwich meat that I was planning to toss with the bones, until...

Shhhh, little secret...
    ...a lot of that much maligned dredded silverskin is not as big of a concern, if you have handled your meat well and pressure cooked or canned it. :twocents:

I have a small deer hanging now. Maybe I'll drag out the beast of a grinder I bought a few years back but never have used?

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have the Cabellas 1 hp grinder and I love it. It is quieter than LEM models I have been around, and grinds just as good as them. I have had mine for about 6 years I think, and it grinds around 8 deer a year between me, my father, my brother, and BIL, also does 5 hogs every January. We use it to grind meat and veggies for 75 gallons of turtle soup every year, and it helps stuff tons of pork sausage links and deer salami too.

Grinders to me fall into the buy once cry once category. I wouldn't buy anything less than 1hp.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I wanted to say thanks for all the advice everyone. Definitely got me more things to think about than I had originally!

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I used to use one of the Kitchen-Aid mixer attachments.....SUPER slow...did two deer with it and never again....then got the cheap #$100.00 ginders...better but still slow.

Finally went to Rural King and got one of the #32 hand crank grinders $85.00. Mounted it to the bench. Had a 120V 3/4hp electric motor under the work bench from something. AutoZone for a fan belt.

I think I could just put the deer hoof in there and it would suck the entire deer through....LOL

I can grind 1lb in less than 45 seconds....takes longer to clean that grind 30lb of meat!

Also in a SHTF situation.....still have the crank handle for it.

https://www.toolsource.com/gifts-be...991/32-meat-grinder-with-pulley-p-156945.html

Top Bottom