• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I fell into a deal. Answered ad on craigslist for guy selling grinder. Wife was divorcing him and he had weekend to clear his garage. Hobart 4822 for 300. Three years ago and its still running strong. You cant feed it fast enough!!!! With attachments its good at sausage stuffing too. Eats LEM's, Harbor freights and Kitchenaids for breakfast!!!
    Me want that one from you!

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Well one option is debone and take it to the processor for grinding and packaging. If you’re going to use the grinder more than one day a year I’d recommend NOT cheating out lol I have a cabelas one (not the cheapest) and it works… but not that great and I can only imagine cheaper would make it more nightmarish

Shoot, if you want to do that - bring it to me and my grinder will eat it in a few minutes. 1-1/2HP MeatYourMaker.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My advice is 3/4 hp minimum and #12 throat size minimum.

If you only do 1 maybe 2 deer a year and you go with a smaller grinder, my advice is to cut the meat into strips not chunks. It helps the smaller grinders process the meat.

We have an older Cabela's commercial grinder (actually it's a buddies that we use). I'm pretty sure it was made by Weston, not sure about the newer Cabela's grinders.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Finally went to Rural King and got one of the #32 hand crank grinders $85.00. Mounted it to the bench. Had a 120V 3/4hp electric motor under the work bench from something. AutoZone for a fan belt.

I think I could just put the deer hoof in there and it would suck the entire deer through....LOL
    Thank you for that mental image.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Thank you for that mental image.
    Welllll....honestly the image needs painted because it is a SERIOUS piece of equipment!

Honestly not for the faint at heart.

A little intimidating watching it work and REALLY makes you think about how valuable your fingers/hands are.

On that note....bang for the buck it cannot be beat.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    If you only do 1 maybe 2 deer a year and you go with a smaller grinder, my advice is to cut the meat into strips not chunks. It helps the smaller grinders process the meat.
    Thanks for that tip.

@PhotoNinja got me a Caeblas commercial 1/2hp #8 several years ago, and I haven't used it yet for grinding meat. I have the sauce attachment, and that thing will make quick work of apples for applesauce :D .

And for anyone looking at buying a grinder, or any other kitchen equipment, take a look at webstaurantstore.com . They have a good selection of grinders, vacuum sealers, butcher saws, and other stuff that is handy for processing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to use one of the Kitchen-Aid mixer attachments.....SUPER slow...did two deer with it and never again....then got the cheap #$100.00 ginders...better but still slow.

Finally went to Rural King and got one of the #32 hand crank grinders $85.00. Mounted it to the bench. Had a 120V 3/4hp electric motor under the work bench from something. AutoZone for a fan belt.

I think I could just put the deer hoof in there and it would suck the entire deer through....LOL

I can grind 1lb in less than 45 seconds....takes longer to clean that grind 30lb of meat!

Also in a SHTF situation.....still have the crank handle for it.

https://www.toolsource.com/gifts-be...991/32-meat-grinder-with-pulley-p-156945.html

This is the grinder I have, but have yet to use. I bought it some years back from an INGOer. I thought the gent had it priced too high until I researched similar electric motors. :n00b:

Like you, I really wanted the manual hand crank capability along with the electric motor convenience. Ended up with a custom built wood structure to hold the monster grinder and motor together.

I'm still yet to grind with it, but have switched it on a few times. Seems to run smooth (without any load.) The seller told me it was a beast and should have a foot pedal, so I put one on it.

Maybe this year I'll put it to use?

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    This is the grinder I have, but have yet to use. I bought it some years back from an INGOer. I thought the gent had it priced too high until I researched similar electric motors. :n00b:

Like you, I really wanted the manual hand crank capability along with the electric motor convenience. Ended up with a custom built wood structure to hold the monster grinder and motor together.

I'm still yet to grind with it, but have switched it on a few times. Seems to run smooth (without any load.) The seller told me it was a beast and should have a foot pedal, so I put one on it.

Maybe this year I'll put it to use?
    Yah....I thought the same thing with the foot pedal but ended up just wiring in a light switch on my wood structure.. LOL

Top Bottom