• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I use a Mighty Armory decapping die for processing brass. I like the Dillon sizing die except for the e-clip breaking on the decapping pin shaft holder after a while. The Mighty Armory decapping die is more robust at this specific function, and is universal for the calibers i reload. If the Dillon e-clip breaks the pin/holder falls out the bottom destroying my brass/press on my automated system. The dedicated decapping die does not have this problem due to a better design. So far I have not had it break in the 6k rounds processed. Win win. I used to have the Dillon e-clip break in about 2k rounds.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I use a Mighty Armory decapping die for processing brass. I like the Dillon sizing die except for the e-clip breaking on the decapping pin shaft holder after a while. The Mighty Armory decapping die is more robust at this specific function, and is universal for the calibers i reload. If the Dillon e-clip breaks the pin/holder falls out the bottom destroying my brass/press on my automated system. The dedicated decapping die does not have this problem due to a better design. So far I have not had it break in the 6k rounds processed. Win win. I used to have the Dillon e-clip break in about 2k rounds.
    A bit of a resurrection here,
    what made you buy the Mighty over the F.L. Arms die,
    I run the F.L. swedge die and I just ordered the deprime Popper die from them.
    I will say there swedger hold-down, is the cats meow.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    So I've been using a Dillon carbide sizing and recapping die for 45acp. But now I'm looking into a universal decapping die specifically a Mighty armory or a FW arms. What I'm confused by are they size dependent per caliber or is it one die to fit them all? So if I buy one of those dies will it work on both a 45acp and a 223 and a 308. Or do i need one per caliber? Then for the swage is it the same concept? Last can I use the swage hold down to prime or is the swage dies just centering and not for hold down? Thanks.
    I have a Dillon 550 and have been using Dillon’s carbide dies for years and thousands of reloads. Never ever had a problem decapping and sizing and priming cleaned brass in one easy pull/push of the handle. And that’s for .45 acp, 9mm, .44 mag/spl, .357/.38 and .45 Colt. The carbide dies perform perfectly. Why oh why take more steps than needed? Just follow the Only Handle it Once (OHIO) model and save time and effort. :dunno:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a Dillon 550 and have been using Dillon’s carbide dies for years and thousands of reloads. Never ever had a problem decapping and sizing and priming cleaned brass in one easy pull/push of the handle. And that’s for .45 acp, 9mm, .44 mag/spl, .357/.38 and .45 Colt. The carbide dies perform perfectly. Why oh why take more steps than needed? Just follow the Only Handle it Once (OHIO) model and save time and effort. :dunno:
    I agree Ben, its prudent to size and deprime first with up to a press up to those that that can swage primer pockets.
    When push our some primers they can stick on the end of the pin or the pin pushes halfway through the primer and then it gets pulled back into the primer pocket.
    Its a problem with Processing Brass,
    The Dillon I bought from you now is in service with depriming and swaging pockets and on station 6 I size the cases with 223 and 9mm. It will end up also doing 300 BO, 308 and 30-06 cases.
    The dies I bought that deprime and the swage hold down die are from F.W. Arms out of Vegas.
    One is the auto center decap die and the other is his auto center swage foot die.
    They make the job almost effortless.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just tried a FA deprimer on some 38's and got to thinking why add the extra step. It will go through the sizing die anyway.
    For me I prefer the extra step. I get a better feel for what is going on.

So one round is being stubborn. Is it harder/oversized brass and I need to just put my weight on it? Or is it slightly off center or the primer is anchored in and I'm about to bend the pin by pushing too hard?

I havent snapped a pin since switching to a separate decapping pass.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Help me understand why one would buy just a decapping die when one already owns a sizing die and can size and deprime already and not add an extra step?
    I de-cap (with a Lee Universal De-cap die) on my ole RockChucker, and clean brass.
    I do NOT want the spent primer crap in my Dillon press on load process..Bill.

Top Bottom