• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My wife had one of the Sunday morning news programs on this morning and they did a piece on daylight savings time. According to their story, DST was and continues to be promoted by the business lobby who have determined that the longer day generates more shopping revenue. One trade group was quoted as estimating it benefits their members to the tune of $250 million per year. I had always believed the claim that it was farmers who want and benefit from DST but this story reported that the Ag industry does not favor it because it upsets livestock feeding routines for one.

Anytime you want to know the reason for something, just follow the money.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, it's absolutely a personal preference. This morning for instance, I was able to get outside earlier (by the clock) because it was lighter and it had warmed up more than yesterday. Yesterday I would've had to wait until 10 a.m. for the same conditions. Today it was 9.
    Still mowing greens at Foster Park golf course here in the Fort. Because of frost, I haven't been able to start until 10am for the past week or so. Got to start at 9 today!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    My wife had one of the Sunday morning news programs on this morning and they did a piece on daylight savings time. According to their story, DST was and continues to be promoted by the business lobby who have determined that the longer day generates more shopping revenue. One trade group was quoted as estimating it benefits their members to the tune of $250 million per year. I had always believed the claim that it was farmers who want and benefit from DST but this story reported that the Ag industry does not favor it because it upsets livestock feeding routines for one.

Anytime you want to know the reason for something, just follow the money.
    I am a farmer with livestock. The time a clock says matters not to my cows. I go to work 1 hour before daylight every day. Please leave the farmers out of this. The only time I worry about time is when I have to be with people. I would like it tho if the kids didn't get on the school bus in the dark. that is 6:30 am here.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I am a farmer with livestock. The time a clock says matters not to my cows. I go to work 1 hour before daylight every day. Please leave the farmers out of this. The only time I worry about time is when I have to be with people. I would like it tho if the kids didn't get on the school bus in the dark. that is 6:30 am here.
    Same here the gang starts to come in the same time year round regardless of sunlight, and yeah their grain had better be ready lol.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Or you could choose to not let your life be governed by what a clock reads.

I have never understood the "dst debate".
    The debate comes about because a significant fraction of the people KNOW it is bull****

None of the reasons they have given through the years to continue it has ever proven out. It is like some weird pain in the *** tradition that they are afraid to change

Today, you have an abrupt change to your circadian rhythm, if they left it alone sunup and sundown would gradually change and we would wind up in the same place without any discomfort. The people who want to mow their lawn at 2130 can just go **** themselves, they're weird

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The debate comes about because a significant fraction of the people KNOW it is bull****

None of the reasons they have given through the years to continue it has ever proven out. It is like some weird pain in the *** tradition that they are afraid to change

Today, you have an abrupt change to your circadian rhythm, if they left it alone sunup and sundown would gradually change and we would wind up in the same place without any discomfort. The people who want to mow their lawn at 2130 can just go **** themselves, they're weird

Meh.

I mow whenever I want.....got this new thing with some contraption called "headlights".

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I never change the time on this one (the most functional going away plaque ever, it has a clock.) It is (obviously) from the ROK and since they don't save daylight there I never change it. Not changing the time and changing the battery once a year is probably why it's still ticking after 28 years.

1636331048405.png

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Debating on splitting my watches up into daylight savings time and not daylight savings time. That way I do not have to reset all of them twice a year!! Just got to be sure not to wear one at the wrong time.

Reactions: D K

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Debating on splitting my watches up into daylight savings time and not daylight savings time. That way I do not have to reset all of them twice a year!! Just got to be sure not to wear one at the wrong time.
    Or get one that syncs to the atomic clock and adjusts automatically DST/Standard time based on the time zone you have it set for. Both my Gshocks do this, and they were not expensive.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Or get one that syncs to the atomic clock and adjusts automatically DST/Standard time based on the time zone you have it set for. Both my Gshocks do this, and they were not expensive.

Cannot stand time keeping devices that change automatically with time zones. Grrrr

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Cannot stand time keeping devices that change automatically with time zones. Grrrr
    My watches don't change time zones automatically, (you set the time zone on the watch) but depending where in the world you have it set to from a time zone perspective factors into when it auto shifts for DST (other countries have different dates for shifting, etc, some states, etc don't observe DST).

Sorry, should have clarified that. But it does sync with the atomic clock and set the time based on what time zone you have the watch set to.

Top Bottom