• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant
    The wife and I are retiring at the end of May, we fully intend to pack up our stuff and leave the Peoples Republic of Illinois. We have been house hunting for about a year. My daughter wants us to find a place near her in Missouri. Last month, I was down there to do a house tour(before covid 19). After the tour, I casually mentioned that I had purchased a new pistol, and that I had been carrying it. She knows I have concealed carry, and believes in it. I just never dreamed what she said next. She said that when we move, she wants me to take her to a gun range and introduce her to shooting. I couldn’t believe my ears! She completely caught me off guard. She said there is an outdoor range about 20 minutes from her place, and she wants to learn! I picked up my jaw off the floor, and then I asked her about her three kids, she was completely fine with them learning, also! She is very protective of her children, and I had never even discussed guns, or carrying, or shooting at anytime around her or the grandkids. I told her this was a good idea, and left it lie there. Didn’t want her to think I was too gung ho. So, I will have that to look forward to, something to do in my retirement! So, now I have another reason to buy another pistol...just a .22 revolver, ear muffs, shooting glasses, etc,etc,etc.....:rockwoot::ar15:

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Bought the single shot 22 cricket for each of my grandkids when they were born. Black for the boys, pink for the girls. Shooting is a wonderful past time with the grandkids. Ranks right up there with fishing in our pond which I have overstocked with bluegill. They can dang near catch a fish on a bare hook. When they get older, multiple shots and higher quality fish with less action (until one is on the line). Don't forget some interactive targets, eggs, dueling trees, swinging cans, etc..

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Bought the single shot 22 cricket for each of my grandkids when they were born. Black for the boys, pink for the girls. Shooting is a wonderful past time with the grandkids. Ranks right up there with fishing in our pond which I have overstocked with bluegill. They can dang near catch a fish on a bare hook. When they get older, multiple shots and higher quality fish with less action (until one is on the line). Don't forget some interactive targets, eggs, dueling trees, swinging cans, etc..

Started my boy out on the cricket , then the rossi 410 now at 13 he wants a glock19 and hes already built his own lower reciever for his AR build ....good times

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Started my boy out on the cricket , then the rossi 410 now at 13 he wants a glock19 and hes already built his own lower reciever for his AR build ....good times

Yep, both girls transitioned to the combo Rossi 410 and 22 barrels. Then went to the Snake Slayer 410. They both have those three guns, youngest and her husband are hunting fools and I am envious. Yes great times for sure, enjoy it, it goes by so fast!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    I started my son out with .22 Winchester lever action.The kid is a Big John Wayne fan.He progressed into .22 hand guns .He like music now.But he knows how to shoot and shoot safe.
    congrats on retirement and getting out of ILL.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Good for your daughter! I started my son out on a 22 rifle when he was 12. For his HS graduation I let him pick our any pistol (within reason)-he picked a Beretta 92G.
    At the age of 23 he now has as many firearms as I do!

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    My daughter isn't averse to firearms but wasn't "into it".
    Now that she's in her mid 30's with two young children she is starting to realize that it can be a dangerous world out there.
    Seeing the "peaceful" protests in various parts of the country she has realized that she is responsible for her own safety.
    Law enforcement response may be too late to help.
    As a result she has received her CCP and has taken the NRA class "Women on Target" taught by female instructors

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    My wife went with me to a couple shows and I got her an m&p .22 she still is not 100% comfortable with it but has taken classes. She is ok with rifles just hesitant on pistols

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    had never even discussed guns, or carrying, or shooting at anytime around her or the grandkids. I told her this was a good idea, and left it lie there
    I think we would all do the 2A a favor if we discussed it more publicly.

Glad this was a happy ending!

carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant
    I think we would all do the 2A a favor if we discussed it more publicly.

Glad this was a happy ending!
    foszoe...while I agree with the basic premise you stated, there are merits to the way I had to handle this.
    When she was a child, she was an animal lover. She knew about my guns at an early age. She knew what they could do. She could not fathom why someone would want to kill. I tried my darndest to try to educate her about hunting, responsibility, stewardship of nature, but it all seemed to go in one ear and out the other. By this time, she was a young teenager, and seemed to enjoy trying to get me to change my ways. We didn’t have very many discussions once she got to high school, then college. I just figured it was not worth the fight.
    She got married, and for a number of years, they didn’t have any kids. Well, that eventually changed, she wound up having 3 wonderful kids, mixed in with a couple of miscarriages, one almost taking her life. I guard her, her life, her kids with the highest degree that maybe some people don’t understand. I almost lost her one time, and let me tell you, any petty disagreement or argument is not worth it, when judged against the value of human life. She now knows I would do anything to protect her, and it has become a quiet confidence between us.
    Thus, as a mother now, she feels what I felt years ago, and still feel: that all pervasive knowledge and feeling that there is evil in this world, people who don’t give a damn about you or your family, and who feel no remorse. This is the battle we face as responsible gun owners: respecting life, but doing what we have to do to protect our loved ones. This is why I believe she now understands why I carry. Not because I’m macho, carrying a gun to show off, but to protect and nurture our loved ones. This is why she told me she believes in concealed carry, and wants her kids to know, respect and honor life and love. What greater gift can we give our children, but love?
    This is why I did what I did in raising her: to lead not by words, but by example. Yes, I hardly ever talked about guns, 2nd Amendment around her growing up, but it seems to have paid off. She is pro-gun, and she wants her kids to know that she would do anything to protect them. What greater satisfaction can I have as a father than to see my daughter pass on these lessons to her own children, and to feel good about their future?
    I just wanted to convey to you that all situations are different, some people learn at different speeds, different levels, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach. Sorry for being long winded, but I just felt you needed to hear my experience, even now, just thinking about this brings tears to my eyes as I’m composing this. Please understand, I’m not condemning you, just want you to be cognizant of the fact of everyone’s differences, and to be a strong, quiet leader in your family. Thank you, Sir.

Poncho53

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Hammond
    Bought my little peanut of a goddaughter a Pink Red Ryder for her 1st birthday. She's 8 now and she knows that if ANYONE ever hurts her they'll meet her uncle Mike...

alanbarx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Madison
    The wife and I are retiring at the end of May, we fully intend to pack up our stuff and leave the Peoples Republic of Illinois. We have been house hunting for about a year. My daughter wants us to find a place near her in Missouri. Last month, I was down there to do a house tour(before covid 19). After the tour, I casually mentioned that I had purchased a new pistol, and that I had been carrying it. She knows I have concealed carry, and believes in it. I just never dreamed what she said next. She said that when we move, she wants me to take her to a gun range and introduce her to shooting. I couldn’t believe my ears! She completely caught me off guard. She said there is an outdoor range about 20 minutes from her place, and she wants to learn! I picked up my jaw off the floor, and then I asked her about her three kids, she was completely fine with them learning, also! She is very protective of her children, and I had never even discussed guns, or carrying, or shooting at anytime around her or the grandkids. I told her this was a good idea, and left it lie there. Didn’t want her to think I was too gung ho. So, I will have that to look forward to, something to do in my retirement! So, now I have another reason to buy another pistol...just a .22 revolver, ear muffs, shooting glasses, etc,etc,etc.....:rockwoot::ar15:
    She actually made the right decision and it is never too early or late to learn. I'm happy for you buddy.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Sounds like some good days ahead with your daughter!

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    good times indeed. i bought my daughter her first pistol, her first diamond earings, and first car on her 16th bday. i taught her how to shoot. she loves the pistol more than the car. on her 21st bday bought her a sig p238. she is a much better shot than i am.

when she got married, her husband introduced her to glock's. she doesn't like the feel of them but is still very proficient with it. now she's trying to talk me out of my sig p220.

i bought my grandson a ruger 10/22 for his 8th bday and let him shoot my hipoint 9mm carbine.

i'll be buying my oldest gdaughter (15) her first pistol on her 16th.

nothing like family time!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I carry 24/7. My son carries the same. My son-in-law carries, his wife, (my daughter) carries and just got her Indiana Lifetime-carry permit. Only my son`s wife and the grandkids don`t carry, but there`s always hope I guess.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    Blessed my kids love guns but wife isn't interested at all. My daughter loves shooting and there is something more satisfying about teaching my daughter's than my boys. Have fun it's priceless.

Top Bottom