• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Work is taking me into various industrial plants - many of which require steel toe boots.

Need something that's easy to put on quickly (ie: not super high tops!) will handle standard industrial environments (dirty, oily, wet etc), easy to clean, with a good non-slip sole.

Suggestions?

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Work is taking me into various industrial plants - many of which require steel toe boots.

Need something that's easy to put on quickly (ie: not super high tops!) will handle standard industrial environments (dirty, oily, wet etc), easy to clean, with a good non-slip sole.

Suggestions?

How about this: Danner - Vicious 4.5" Brown/Orange NMT - Work - Product

It is a workboot with a safety toe, good gripping sole, and is not tall. I think they look good too!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Lester is certainly the expert here, and I don't mean to hijack, but these...

Danner - Quarry USA 6" Brown AT - Work - Product

...Quarry's were the best ST boots I ever owned. At the time, I was actively participating in in Enviro. Emergency Response and Remediation stuff, mostly petroleum related, and that is really hard on a pair of boots. Mine were the 8" Quarry, and they put up with the work (and a lot at home), for as long as anybody could expect. Having Electric protection is just a good side benefit for you to have.

I would STRONGLY suggest going with the stitchdown-construction boots as opposed to the GTX chassis boots. Maybe it's preference, or maybe it's too many boots and shoes that I've had UN-glue (not Danner, mind you, but certainly some that were the same pricepoint), but I won't buy another boot that is glued.

All that being said, there's probably not a WRONG answer here, given that it doesn't sound like you are working primarily in an Industrial setting. IF you find yourself wearing the boots in sub-freezing temps, you might want to consider the Vicious more heavily, as it's safety to is non-metallic, and thus is less cold.

-Nate

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The glued ones are a concern to me as well. I work in a shop with a smooth concrete floor (which i have found is rough on boot soles) and in a lot of $1M + homes. It seems that if you want easy on/off, it is harder to find a pair that is resoleable. I made that word up. That said, the things I look for in a boot are as follows:
    Safety toe (preferably composite for weight)
    Easy on/off (zippers are really nice)
    Able to replace soles if boots are expensive.
    Comfort.
    Ankle support.

I currently have a pair of the 5.11 side sip composite safety toe and love them. They are light weight, comfortable and easy on/off, but the soles are wearing and since they are glued, I assume they are not replaceable.

Any recommendations?

Edit: that quarry posted above looks pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Edit: that quarry posted above looks pretty close to what I'm looking for.

They were great. I've owned 2 sets of Mt. Light II's, a Quarry 8", and now a set of Recon's, and NONE of them have ever let me down on expectations. I bought my dad a set of Quarry's, and they are just as good as mine were.

-Nate

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have another question. I live in the northern part of the state and the last couple winters have been brutally cold. Which models would you say keep the tootsies warm? I don't need artic boots but something decent for around 0 degrees and shoveling or snowblowing.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I have another question. I live in the northern part of the state and the last couple winters have been brutally cold. Which models would you say keep the tootsies warm? I don't need artic boots but something decent for around 0 degrees and shoveling or snowblowing.

If its really cold and you are going to be outside, you want the insulted variants - either the 200gram or 400gram. I would recommend if you are going to be moving alot, then choose the 200gram. But if you are going to be more stationary, choose a pair of boots with the 400gram insulation.

This is a good rule of thumb to start looking with.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Thank you all for the replies and the orders. I really appreciate you all.

I am going to keep this open for 1 more day -- the order will go in to Danner on Monday. Then, they can set up our account and start shipping boots! :D

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

I am going to keep this open for 1 more day -- the order will go in to Danner on Monday. Then, they can set up our account and start shipping boots! :D

Good luck to you and your business. Cary and I are looking forward to coming over and meeting you when we pick up our boots.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Been needing boots for a while now, never able to afford them and this year the canvas is shot on my deck shoes... It would be so nice to have warm feel this winter and many to come...

Will have my order in by Tuesday.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Outstanding!

Top Bottom