Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Has anyone else read Ryan Kleckner’s ‘Guide to Long Range Shooting’? I’ve been going through the Kindle version and have a paperback version coming tomorrow. I like the style of his writing and there’s some very good practical advice in there.

It does make me wish I had held off on a couple of the things bought for the Sig 716, like the bipod. There’s nothing wrong with the Magpul bipod I put on the rifle but the recommendation of building a range bag with all of your tools, some water, maybe an energy bar and stuff, then using that as your support bag appeals to me. His ideas on over magnification are interesting too.

If everyone’s already read it and I’m late to the game, then I am finally on board but if you have an interest in the art of long range shooting and have not read it, it’s worth your time.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Has anyone else read Ryan Kleckner’s ‘Guide to Long Range Shooting’? I’ve been going through the Kindle version and have a paperback version coming tomorrow. I like the style of his writing and there’s some very good practical advice in there.

It does make me wish I had held off on a couple of the things bought for the Sig 716, like the bipod. There’s nothing wrong with the Magpul bipod I put on the rifle but the recommendation of building a range bag with all of your tools, some water, maybe an energy bar and stuff, then using that as your support bag appeals to me. His ideas on over magnification are interesting too.

If everyone’s already read it and I’m late to the game, then I am finally on board but if you have an interest in the art of long range shooting and have not read it, it’s worth your time.

I have not but with ammo prices (if work allows), I’d like to focus on precision shooting during this current storm. Will be looking up that book right now!

Edit: Purchased! Cleckner with a C not a K?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

I have not but with ammo prices (if work allows), I’d like to focus on precision shooting during this current storm. Will be looking up that book right now!

I have heard of him and seen that book before. I think I might buy it as well. I think this will help when I get past 100 yards with my 22's and then carry over to long range with centerfire rifles.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

Agreed. Sold my .308, but will spend the summer focusing on accuracy for hunting with the -06. Ole Grand-dad (m77) will get some serious love this year.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Attention cat owners that want to sleep!

PetSafe SSSCAT Spray Dog and Cat Deterrent, Motion Activated Pet Repellent Keeps Areas Pet Proof, Battery-Operated and Environmentally Friendly Training Sprayer – Protect Your Pets and Furniture Amazon product ASIN B0721735K9
    I'll have to look into that. We tried something similar with our cats when I lived in MN and it didn't work out, but that was over a decade ago and this stuff might be better.

I might have to pick that up. As I said in a thread to doddg about this topic, at least at this point, when I'm still learning, having a high enough magnification to see my shots really helps me understand what I'm doing right or wrong. Once I get the correct habits and techniques down, I can see not needing it as much, but I feel like it helps me right now. That's why I'm using 6x24 at 50 yards.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

I'll have to check that out.

I'm leaning more towards bolt guns to take the speed down a little. Make every shot count in this climate.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'll have to check that out.

I'm leaning more towards bolt guns to take the speed down a little. Make every shot count in this climate.

I have always enjoyed precision and long range shooting.

The cost per shot might be more but cost per hour is less (after equipment costs).

I won’t say I was ever a good marksman but the skills sure do diminish (and eyesight...).

As tdogg mentioned, 22s are excellent trainers. Anything the shooter is doing to affect trajectory, shows in a 50 yard 22 group. Get all that under control before dealing with holdovers and wind at 400-1000 yards and expensive ammo. Even match 22 ammo is still relatively cheap in comparison.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    If this damn starling goes in the bluebird box again it's gonna be the year of the shotgun.

Get em!
    741d1f7341c3a3a709bea1dda135da0e.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I have decided to do exactly none of the things on my list this morning, and just hang with the Maginator. I'll catch hell but it ain't the first time and I promise not the last.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a feeling that Long Range book will make me re-evaluate some things. Not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure I've got something set up in a way that made sense to me, but not the best way to accomplish the goal I had in mind.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a feeling that Long Range book will make me re-evaluate some things. Not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure I've got something set up in a way that made sense to me, but not the best way to accomplish the goal I had in mind.
    And ordered. I got the paperback. I read enough stuff digitally, it's nice to read something printed on paper once in awhile (besides bills in the mail, ugh).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom