• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Moving machinery is expensive. I know this because the company I use to work for moved from NY to Cincinnati in 1978. Moving a tool room and the good part of a stamping department was expensive.
    Then you have employees to re start your business. Union people want the same money as they are making and there furnishings moved.
    Restarting after a move like that is real expensive does anyone think the owners of Colt are going to make that kind of investment when there main goal is to squeeze every penny out they can.

When Remington moved to SC they were in better shape and didn't move the whole company. SC offered them a great deal and look what Remington did. They didn't live up to the bargain they played the temp. employee game. They were told live up to the agreement or we pull all the tax incentives.
    Moves like this need management that think in the long term and Colt so far has shown they lack that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Moving machinery is expensive. I know this because the company I use to work for moved from NY to Cincinnati in 1978. Moving a tool room and the good part of a stamping department was expensive.
    Then you have employees to re start your business. Union people want the same money as they are making and there furnishings moved.
    Restarting after a move like that is real expensive does anyone think the owners of Colt are going to make that kind of investment when there main goal is to squeeze every penny out they can.

When Remington moved to SC they were in better shape and didn't move the whole company. SC offered them a great deal and look what Remington did. They didn't live up to the bargain they played the temp. employee game. They were told live up to the agreement or we pull all the tax incentives.
    Moves like this need management that think in the long term and Colt so far has shown they lack that.
    Colt has been so poorly managed in the sense of making the brand live again that those who hold high places there think only of themselves. Any decisions to spend money instead of taking money are not on the table.

CZ could and possibly would blend the 1911 line into the plant where they are building DW models. Might and should be easier to expand that as to start up a new facility.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Colt has been so poorly managed in the sense of making the brand live again that those who hold high places there think only of themselves. Any decisions to spend money instead of taking money are not on the table.

CZ could and possibly would blend the 1911 line into the plant where they are building DW models. Might and should be easier to expand that as to start up a new facility.
    A lot easier. They know what is available work force wise. They may have floor space ready to go or a inexpensive addition planed. The equipment Colt has may be junk or out dated and needs replaced. CZ put that building up a few years ago who knows what they planed for when they moved an operation here. This could be the best thing that happens to Colt.
    What I have seen from CZ they are constantly improving on designs Colt not so much R&D there looks like one person working part time.
    Time will tell.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I like Colts and CZ's maybe it will be a nice relationship. I'm not sure where all the Colt hate is coming from though. I've seen a lot of changes in Colt the last several years, at least as far as responding to market changes and demand. We could probably find something to complain about in every gun company's leadership, Remington comes to mind lol, and why in the world is S&W still making revolvers with the lock? Colt has invested in some new machinery and it shows, the slides and frames are machined cleaner and straighter now than in years past. They offer both 'mil-spec' versions up to railed guns with all the desired features. They offer different 9mm and 10mm options as interest in 1911's in these calibers has exploded. Someone early on complained about Colt prices but obviously hadn't really been looking at Colts the last couple years. Prior to covid you could find one of the new 1911C models for comparable prices to SPFD Mil-Specs and places like Buds had good prices on Colts and they were actually available. For awhile they were getting like Sig and I think putting out too many variations just to make something different, when that happens things start to go downhill. They have since refined and streamlined their catalog. Much like the new Ruger/Marlin relationship we might see some exciting things, we'll see.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like Colts and CZ's maybe it will be a nice relationship. I'm not sure where all the Colt hate is coming from though. I've seen a lot of changes in Colt the last several years, at least as far as responding to market changes and demand. We could probably find something to complain about in every gun company's leadership, Remington comes to mind lol, and why in the world is S&W still making revolvers with the lock? Colt has invested in some new machinery and it shows, the slides and frames are machined cleaner and straighter now than in years past. They offer both 'mil-spec' versions up to railed guns with all the desired features. They offer different 9mm and 10mm options as interest in 1911's in these calibers has exploded. Someone early on complained about Colt prices but obviously hadn't really been looking at Colts the last couple years. Prior to covid you could find one of the new 1911C models for comparable prices to SPFD Mil-Specs and places like Buds had good prices on Colts and they were actually available. For awhile they were getting like Sig and I think putting out too many variations just to make something different, when that happens things start to go downhill. They have since refined and streamlined their catalog. Much like the new Ruger/Marlin relationship we might see some exciting things, we'll see.
    Having experienced a few to many turds with the horse emblazoned on them I was done with the marque.
    If in fact they have stepped up there game I am not aware because 2of their "Better" offerings (Wiley Clapps ??) I have personally fondeled and repaired were serious turds especially for the price points. This just re-certified my "I am done with Colt" attitude.

As always, if you like-em and own-em then enjoy-em

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Having experienced a few to many turds with the horse emblazoned on them I was done with the marque.
    If in fact they have stepped up there game I am not aware because 2of their "Better" offerings (Wiley Clapps ??) I have personally fondeled and repaired were serious turds especially for the price points. This just re-certified my "I am done with Colt" attitude.

As always, if you like-em and own-em then enjoy-em
    Experience may vary lol, the three series 70 repros i've bought have been problem free. What was wrong with the Clapp's?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Rattle traps.
    That doesn't make it a turd lol, just a Colt. Colt has never claimed to build tight slide/frame guns but the ones I have seen lately are much better. Whether a tight slide/frame really makes that much of a difference is moot, the public has come to expect that so Colt should work on it, maybe CZ will address it if they come into the picture?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'd rather they be owned by an actual firearms company, even a foreign one, than such-and-such generic private equity vampires. Although honestly at this point Colt seems so dysfunctional and behind the times that I don't know if anything can really turn that turd around. Hope for the best but would not be surprised by the worst.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'd rather they be owned by an actual firearms company, even a foreign one, than such-and-such generic private equity vampires. Although honestly at this point Colt seems so dysfunctional and behind the times that I don't know if anything can really turn that turd around. Hope for the best but would not be surprised by the worst.
    How are they behind the times?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That doesn't make it a turd lol, just a Colt. Colt has never claimed to build tight slide/frame guns but the ones I have seen lately are much better. Whether a tight slide/frame really makes that much of a difference is moot, the public has come to expect that so Colt should work on it, maybe CZ will address it if they come into the picture?
    Current quality 1911s should not be rattle traps. This ain't WWI

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Current quality 1911s should not be rattle traps. This ain't WWI
    Slide and frame fit really doesn't have much bearing on 1911 function, now if your perception is that it indicates quality that's a different story I guess. Rattle trap is again a matter of perception, I have a SPFD i'm working on right now that i'd describe as a rattle trap, i've seen Ed Brown's that I would describe like that as well, but they still shot great. What's the slide and frame fit like on your current Colt?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not just slide to frame my friend. As critical as you are about grip safety fitment those 2 were terrible. The barrel bushing and lock up were all part of the rattle. I mean seriously sloppy work.

I have owned a few decent Colts and am sorry I sold a couple of them. But the newer stuff I will pass.
    Next time I see you bring one of those with you please.

Top Bottom