• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bc77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    I can see tall buildings!
    Thoughts/experiences with this model? Was it a good decision for you? A bad one? I strongly considered this model for my first shotgun, but went with another brand. I feel like that first one was some kind of right of passage of some sorts. Hopefully, it will be a gun that stays in my family for a long while. It didn't seem right to splurge on two at the same time...especially for that 1st one! I'm thankful to be able to afford one gun, but I've been told "I'm doing it wrong" if I'm not looking forward to that next purchase though.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I owned a CZ612 magnum waterfowl for a short period. The gun was very well built and dead nuts accurate shooting a few rounds of trap. Unfortunately, the light weight of the shotgun beat me up more than I cared for, even using light trap loads, so it has moved on to another owner.

As a field gun to be carried and shot as a field gun, it would be a wonderful shotgun.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I owned a CZ612 magnum waterfowl for a short period. The gun was very well built and dead nuts accurate shooting a few rounds of trap. Unfortunately, the light weight of the shotgun beat me up more than I cared for, even using light trap loads, so it has moved on to another owner.

As a field gun to be carried and shot as a field gun, it would be a wonderful shotgun.
    Isnt the 612 a gas operated gun? IF so thats odd that it recoiled that much! hahah thats what i get for not researching before i type!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, the CZ612 is a pump shotgun. The one I had was very light for field use, but I sure didn't expect it to hurt so much. Guess I'm just getting soft in my old age.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Generally if a shotgun hurts to shoot either you are shooting ammo that's to heavy, the gun has a terrible recoil pad or it just simply doesn't fit you right.
    I don't disagree with what you wrote, but don't want anybody to think the CZ612 isn't a good shotgun. I personally think it's a wonderful design, well made, affordable, and does exactly what it's supposed to do. The CZ612 magnum waterfowl (the version that I owned) is designed to handle up to 3-1/2" magnum shells.

I was shooting trap with 2-3/4", 1145 fps, 1-1/8 oz. #8 shells. The day I shot it, I was wearing just a t-shirt and shot 4 rounds of trap in a little over 2 hours. I didn't notice anything until the next day. My shoulder was sore and there was an abrasion where the butt stock was mounted.

I suspect my injuries were partially due to the lack of padding and this being my first time back to a trap field in close to 20 years. FWIW, I was back out with my Remington 1100 a few weekends ago and shot 4 rounds of trap without a single issue (except hitting the hard right crossing targets from 5 ... definitely out of practice).

As mentioned above, the CZ I shot worked flawlessly, but it was made for carrying in the field and shooting only a handful of shells at a time while hunting, not 4 rounds of trap in a 2 hour period ... especially not by somebody just wearing a t-shirt and is out of shotgun shape.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't disagree with what you wrote, but don't want anybody to think the CZ612 isn't a good shotgun. I personally think it's a wonderful design, well made, affordable, and does exactly what it's supposed to do. The CZ612 magnum waterfowl (the version that I owned) is designed to handle up to 3-1/2" magnum shells.

I was shooting trap with 2-3/4", 1145 fps, 1-1/8 oz. #8 shells. The day I shot it, I was wearing just a t-shirt and shot 4 rounds of trap in a little over 2 hours. I didn't notice anything until the next day. My shoulder was sore and there was an abrasion where the butt stock was mounted.

I suspect my injuries were partially due to the lack of padding and this being my first time back to a trap field in close to 20 years. FWIW, I was back out with my Remington 1100 a few weekends ago and shot 4 rounds of trap without a single issue (except hitting the hard right crossing targets from 5 ... definitely out of practice).

As mentioned above, the CZ I shot worked flawlessly, but it was made for carrying in the field and shooting only a handful of shells at a time while hunting, not 4 rounds of trap in a 2 hour period ... especially not by somebody just wearing a t-shirt and is out of shotgun shape.
    I agree the CZ 612 is a fine enough gun. Yeah it's a little light for serious target use.
    But I looked at one just this afternoon and and the only thing I didn't like was the recoil pad. I think it would be just fine to shoot 3 or 4 rounds of trap in an afternoon with a better pad. I would probably go with one of three options...Kickeez, Microcell or the softest I've experienced is a Falcon Strike.
    The right pad and proper gun fit and light ammo makes all the difference. Now it would be different if we were talking about 3-400 shells in a day

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Yeah ... 3-400 shells a day are long in the past for me ... maybe in time and if the current ammo price gets back to normal. Heck, even reloading doesn't save much per shell. It does allow one to make some seriously soft loads though.

Wow! Just looked up the Falcon Strike ... that is one serious recoil pad.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah ... 3-400 shells a day are long in the past for me ... maybe in time and if the current ammo price gets back to normal. Heck, even reloading doesn't save much per shell. It does allow one to make some seriously soft loads though.

Wow! Just looked up the Falcon Strike ... that is one serious recoil pad.
    I bought one for my Model 12 but it was actually for a Mod 12 Heavy Duck and doesn't fit very well on my aftermarket stock. But man that thing works very well. I was impressed by it

Top Bottom