• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My first attempt at doing a pillar job. I wasn't going to post this unless the job was a success and the results were good. However, I decided good or bad, I will post it. If the results suck, well then some humility will do me good and I will go from there. If I can't get outside my comfort zone and take risks or accept failure from time to time, I am doing myself no good.

This is a CZ 457 Pro Varmint .22LR. I decided to do this because the rear action screw was not holding torque due to the wood stock compressing. I'm hoping that the results show some improvement in accuracy as well. The pillars were purchased from Pete's Pillars and are the slim line design. The modeling clay was purchased from Amazon and the epoxy is Devcon two-part steel epoxy.

Here we see the factory setup. If you look closely on the front screw location underneath, the bottom plate has only been touching the front half of that area surrounding the screw hole (the rear half of that area is still textured where the plate isn't compressing). I'll touch on that issue further later on.

XLXFfn2.jpg

SB6c8It.jpg

The pillars come oversized in length at 1.25" in length each, to allow a custom fit depending on the stock being used. So before I start drilling holes out, I need to know how long my pillars will need to be. I couldn't think of a better way than to use my calipers along with the flat end of an unused punch. The rear measured 1.117" and the front measured 0.960".

K9krUI5.jpg
    EbLAJgc.jpg

Now I get set up on the drill press to enlarge the holes. The original holes are 1/4" and I will be opening them up to 9/16". These are not precision holes being drilled, because the pillars are not being pressed into the wood, so I'm just simply making a large bore for the pillars to sit in the center of and be surrounded by epoxy. I'm sure I could have used a hand drill, but my neighbor let me borrow his drill press and it just makes things easier.

Lining things up with a 1/4" bit for the front action screw hole.

T3lxDZz.jpg

Then I swap in gradually increasing sizes of drill bits. I started with 5/16, then 3/8, then 1/2 spade, then finally 9/16 spade. I did this to prevent accidental chipping out of big chunks of material. The spade bits were what I had on hand to use that would fit the 3/8" chuck on the drill. I purposely left some material at the bottom, so I could finish it with a round file.

EURTgul.jpg
    ucve1Ex.jpg

Now we move onto the rear hole.

dyPYWqv.jpg
    nYWSucg.jpg
    GDOXWjB.jpg

After that, I cleaned things up with a round file and the stock is done with this stage.

rpyOANn.jpg

p82VevH.jpg

Now we move onto reducing the length of the pillars. Pretty simple here. I used a large flat file, a small vise and permanent marker to identify close to where I needed to be and took my time. The front needed more material removed, so I sped things up with a hacksaw. Once I got close to the final measurement, I went nice and slow, making sure to keep the surface squared. Once done I used a drill bit by hand to create a little chamfer on the inside. Then roughed up the outside surface with 400 grit sandpaper.

Front

Nf1BcHj.jpg
    zOKI3fE.jpg

Rear

2m49Q6z.jpg
    d6dt7lj.jpg

Next I check to see how the pillars look on the action/receiver. And I notice a problem immediately. The bottom plate is not sitting flat on the front pillar. This ends up being a 3 part problem.

Z5nXVWd.jpg

The 3 issues found. First, I notice the plate is hitting the front edge of the magazine well, which is plastic. So I remove that and use my flat file to remove some material. Recheck, it's no longer contacting the magwell and it's a little better, but still not correct. Second, I notice something very interesting after getting the magwell issue resolved. The action screw is tight, but the plate and pillar are loose. The screw was too long and was bottomed out. That might explain why the front screw never lost torque before. So I removed 1 thread from the length. Now things tighten up correctly. Third, I put a slight bend in the plate to allow it to sit flat and still connect to the trigger guard properly. These issues are now resolved.

HKR0ye3.jpg

The next step was prepping the action and stock with modeling clay and a release agent (Kiwi natural shoe polish). It began to get late in the night and I completely forgot to take ANY pictures of this process. This was the most challenging part of this project for me so far. Having really never done this sort of thing before and only researching what others have done online (but not the exact same rifle/stock) it proved to be quite the challenge. I was super nervous about getting epoxy where it didn't need to be and not getting it where it did need to be. This took me a very long time with the clay and frankly I didn't enjoy it one bit. But I will have to show the after pictures when I remove the action after the epoxy cures to give an idea of the prep work.

With the stock and action prepped, I put the pillars in place on the action, put epoxy up top surrounding the holes and placed the action into the stock. I then placed zip ties around them to keep in place. I did not have surgical tubing as I'd seen others use and I know I just wanted things held together tight enough to keep from coming apart, but not too tight to cause stresses anywhere they shouldn't be. I then filled in around the pillars with epoxy. This part was quite challenging as well. I used a small pocket screwdriver and toothpick to work the epoxy down into the holes.

If I made one mistake, it might be that I let the epoxy set overnight with the rifle sitting up-right, which allowed some of the epoxy to drip out the bottom. I could be wrong on that though. When I checked this morning, there were some small voids that I filled with a bit more epoxy. Probably not needed as some of that will be removed later anyways. I will be crossing my fingers tomorrow night when I separate the action. I used two layers of shoe polish (did not buff off).

fsguvhA.jpg

lM7EZL8.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You left one very important part out.... How did your shoes turn out with the polish?

Looks good brother!
    Was thinking about you the other day. Where have you been? Maybe here all along but just different threads than me, but I hadn't come across you in awhile. Do you still have the Tempest? Or is it a Lemans? I can't remember.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Was thinking about you the other day. Where have you been? Maybe here all along but just different threads than me, but I hadn't come across you in awhile. Do you still have the Tempest? Or is it a Lemans? I can't remember.
    I was away for awhile, got married and have a family now. Just kinda getting back in the swing of things, hanging out in the CZ mostly. It’s a Lemans and yes, still cruising it.:cool:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Some more progress tonight. The action screws broke free easily and the action was removed from the stock very easily and without drama, so the shoe polish worked great.

494dxc4.jpg

Started to look things over and begin removing clay for further inspection. I confirmed my suspicion of my mistake, letting the rifle sit upright while the epoxy cured allowed the epoxy to flow out the bottom and open up pockets. I know better and being tired late at night got the best of me. Am I upset and a little embarrassed? Yeah, a little bit. But, I told myself this is fixable and isn't the end of the world. I reminded myself this is my first time and mistakes are okay to make. This can be corrected and I can learn from it.

j8XFV8n.jpg

BCXdS2Q.jpg

5xqzRJu.jpg

I cleaned the action/receiver all up. Then removed material on the bottom of the stock so I could verify the pillars are correct and the bottom plate sits properly. I am glad I did this now, because it revealed another cavity that needs filled. I reinstalled the action, installed the bottom plate and tightened the screws as a test run so to speak. I could immediately tell the difference with the pillars installed, the screws came to a firm torque and felt completely different than before. I may have cracked a little smile right then.

GTIpgVp.jpg

So, the plan for this week is to fill the cavities, get the action back together (it's still disassembled) and then I can work on cleaning up the stock more and get it looking good again. I also noticed the barrel is now very slightly touching the forend of the stock, so I'll be opening that channel up as well. I'm buried at work this week, so I'm going to have to be patient with this project from here on out. So far, so good, despite the minor setbacks. :)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Good start TD. :thumbsup:

While you're "filling voids", you might consider epoxying in the recoil lug so it has a chance of actually doing something (I did on mine). On the other hand it's a .22LR.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good start TD. :thumbsup:

While you're "filling voids", you might consider epoxying in the recoil lug so it has a chance of actually doing something (I did on mine). On the other hand it's a .22LR.
    Thanks, I knew I was forgetting something. Just did this.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I "think" I'm done with adding epoxy to the stock. Hoping to get the cured epoxy cleaned up tonight. After I check final fitment with the action, then I can prep it for a fresh coat of paint on the interior to make it look presentable.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Got the cured epoxy cleaned up and shaped good enough to where I was satisfied, it won't win a beauty contest, but it will keep the pillars in place just fine.

u6glpAO.jpg

9guFQdO.jpg

I hit the insides with some flat black paint. Then spent about an hour or so carefully removing a little material at a time until the only thing touching the action was the pillars and very slightly the recoil lug. I did this by torqueing the action screws to 20 in/lbs, then I would remove the action and check to see where the action is contacting the stock, scrape epoxy away in that area, touch up with a black paint marker and repeat.

I found out by epoxying the recoil lug in place, it didn't allow the action to crush it into the wood anymore and it was preventing the rear pillar from fully contacting the action. So I had to use a file and remove material from the top of lug until it was just barely touching the action and also allowing full pillar to receiver contact.

I then rechecked my barrel for free float and it was not contacting anymore, but just barely. So I went ahead and removed some material from the forend just for peace of mind.

Now it's all back together, the scope is remounted and I am ready for testing.

kVTl7ut.jpg

DL5IoZ7.jpg

This is a before picture, but the setup is still the same as nothing externally has changed.

u9t4KjZ.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom