• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I had family and friends that literally spent their lives working for many of these "names". They were proud of what they did a what the company produced. It is sad to see the sacrifices they made to make great products, so great we still have respect for the name all these years later, turned into a somewhat deceptive marketing ploy...
    Ah, I respect that. Honestly I imagine this is also somewhat a generational thing. My generation doesn't generally care about that sort of thing I don't think

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I do because that is what I have.
    But, I live in the burbs.
    No, I get it. I'm not saying they are bad for their intended purpose. I was referring to the context of the thread.

Just an anecdote- 20 years ago, there was something called "Sabre by John Deere". These were the precursor (sort of) to the 100 series. I don't know the stats of how many were sold, but I see a few of those around today, but I see 325s, 345s, GTs and GXs from the same era all the time...but that could be the circles I run in.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This, same with CC. Home Depot version different than Riggs Mowers version. I look at JD same as Harley, big money for a name, much better options out there. Look at Toro.

I love Toro, but recently they are having MTD build some equipment for them.

The Harley comparison is a fail to me, not even close. There are several motorcycles built by good companies and most have a dealer network.

That so many of you do not value a dealer network is in itself disappointing to me as is the lack of understanding that dealers have both the low end and dealer only options...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That so many of you do not value a dealer network is in itself disappointing to me as is the lack of understanding that dealers have both the low end and dealer only options...
    Dealers also charge way higher than a small engine shop for the same work for repairs. I do get the value in buying from them (warranty issues, etc.), but for routine maintenance or minor repairs, I would either do it myself or "find a guy" to do it that won't keep my mower for a couple of months just to get to it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And think about it... if a dealer tells you that they need to keep your mower for a couple of months before they can get to it... just how many problems with their product do they have? Assuming that a dealer would have parts in stock, a repair should take a day at most.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Dealers also charge way higher than a small engine shop for the same work for repairs. I do get the value in buying from them (warranty issues, etc.), but for routine maintenance or minor repairs, I would either do it myself or "find a guy" to do it that won't keep my mower for a couple of months just to get to it.

Nothing wrong with that. Keep in mind quality equipment has parts specific to the machine that you will still be able to get from your dealer even if your guy puts them on. Where do you get parts for many of the low price brands when your yard needs work and you cannot wait?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nothing wrong with that. Keep in mind quality equipment has parts specific to the machine that you will still be able to get from your dealer even if your guy puts them on. Where do you get parts for many of the low price brands when your yard needs work and you cannot wait?
    I have a JD 125 that I got from a dealer (which I guess is inferior according to JD snobs :):), so I can order JD OEM parts online if I need them, either for me doing it, or "my guy" doing it. I can usually have the parts in my hands before the lawn gets away from me. And "my guy" will come to my house and fix my mower if I need him to. Good luck getting a dealer to do that without charging major $$$.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And think about it... if a dealer tells you that they need to keep your mower for a couple of months before they can get to it... just how many problems with their product do they have? Assuming that a dealer would have parts in stock, a repair should take a day at most.

And think about it... To survive a dealer must sell thousands of units, then of all those thousands machines out there, some may fail, but if you talk to mechanics I bet they can amaze us with stories of user inflicted damage. Not to mention a JD dealer still will see some 30+ yo machines.

And lastly, you need a better relationship with your dealer...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Thus why many (even smaller commercial mowers) buy the cheaper versions of everything run it till it dies and buy again. the equipment is a write off.

I have purchased a few second hand that people just did not want to mess with and had the cash to just buy another. Spark, fuel, compression and air, n ew belts and blades and mower. I also know a couple of hank hill type neighbors who are up graders every year or two.

personally I have had good luck with most lawn tractors. Cheaper ones 10 years with just batteries oil gas blades and belts. 2 cycle stuff is the problem I have. I will add decks into the equation also as most of the engines and bodies last longer than the decks as we always seem to hit something hard sooner or later.

I will admit I have driven a NASCAR CRASH looking mower a few years over that time to get to end of year sales in the fall, duck tape hood And you better wear hearing protection to mow.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    What do you mean? The engineers are doing what they are told. Squeeze every dollar out of production cost and make it last 1 day longer than warranty. The CC782, 1980 vintage, 17 hp, I had was as stout if not more than the Simplicity Legacy, 2010 vintage, 27hp I have.
    What I mean is 25 years after the 425 series the new 700 series has a much weaker frame, is far taller and cumbersome, uses way more gas and has many more fragile looking parts. The 425 feels like a sports car in comparison. Many of the things needing improvements in the 425 series are now shockingly unchanged. Since you seem to have no experience with either series I am not sure what you are calling me out for but best of luck with your equipment.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    What I mean is 25 years after the 425 series the new 700 series has a much weaker frame, is far taller and cumbersome, uses way more gas and has many more fragile looking parts. The 425 feels like a sports car in comparison. Many of the things needing improvements in the 425 series are now shockingly unchanged. Since you seem to have no experience with either series I am not sure what you are calling me out for but best of luck with your equipment.
    Isn’t that basically the same thing I said?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I do because that is what I have.
    But, I live in the burbs.
    Yup. I have a 100 series. Good enough so far. Can't really justify upgrading.

Well, other than adding a bucket holder, mounting a "grabber" on the hood (so that I can pick up garbage without getting off seat), replaced headlights with LEDs, and mounted a 36w light pod on the hood.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Find me an X330 or any other X series, or a 200 series for sale at a big box store. If what we have been stating is a myth, should be easy.

I explained this all above.

The premium JD lawn tractors, the X series, is sold only at dealers. They have a full perimeter frame and Kawasaki engines- other differences.

The 100 series is available from big box and dealers. They have a stamped steel body, no perimeter frame, and Briggs, sometimes (in the past at least) Kohler engines...but frankly, who cares about the 100 series?

The 200 series is available only from dealers, but has the same construction as the 100 series, but with a better deck and with a Kawasaki engine.

Some of the differences between the series.

There's still not any difference.

You can buy the same tractors at a dealership that you can a box store. Box stores only get the low-end stuff.

We're talking past one another.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Well, other than adding a bucket holder (shoulder holster), mounting a "grabber" (scope) on the hood (frame) (so that I can pick up (off) garbage without getting off seat), replaced headlights (sights) with LEDs (the scope), and mounted a 36w (10,000 lumen) light pod on the hood (under the barrel).
    I suppose you modify all your guns also! :cheers:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom