• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • get_armbarred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Crown Point
    Hey gang. I regularly work in Illinois. I know I can keep my gun in the car I’ve fully researched it. I have an Indiana LTCH. My question is more about accessories and ammo. I usually keep a box of fmj and an extra mag in my car in case I get an opportunity to stop and shoot for a little bit. I’m worried about getting jammed up on some kind of technicality.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    You should have no problem concerning ammo or mags, I know of any Illinois law concerning hollow points or carrying spare ammo. If you get into Crook County or Chicago there may be a capacity limit on mags. In that area I think there may be a local law about having a lazer on a gun.
    That is all I can think of that might be a problem, of course I could be missing something. When the CCW law was passed the state became the sole government agency to regulate firearms. But if there were cities or countys that allready had ordinances they were mostly grandfathered in so still valid. That state sucks. Jim.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I remember reading a article about " 6 seconds to fire " where you can have a Handgun & a loaded magazine in the same sealed gun case ... as long as the Magazine is separate- it was legal

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I remember reading a article about " 6 seconds to fire " where you can have a Handgun & a loaded magazine in the same sealed gun case ... as long as the Magazine is separate- it was legal
    No need to have it in a case, mag out, anywhere, as long as you stay in your vehicle.

Carry it on your person, concealed. From the above link...
    500c017f312ae23f2d1dc12df9dfbd05.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    No need to have it in a case, mag out, anywhere, as long as you stay in your vehicle.

This....

When I have to go through sillynoise, I always have a side arm on.....and never stop.

(Different circumstances than the OP, I know. I hate that ****hole. land of lincoln is a fitting slogan)

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I have family in Illinois so I'm a frequent visitor. My Ruger LC9s always travels with me, and per their law it stays locked in the car...unless I overnight in a hotel room. My hotel package includes the Ruger, spare mag and a Streamlight flashlight. I know it breaks their rules but they won't find out unless I need to use it. If I need to use it then I'd rather be alive pleading forgiveness than be a floor outline because I followed the letter of their law.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have family in Illinois so I'm a frequent visitor. My Ruger LC9s always travels with me, and per their law it stays locked in the car...unless I overnight in a hotel room. My hotel package includes the Ruger, spare mag and a Streamlight flashlight. I'd rather be alive pleading forgiveness than be a floor outline because I followed the letter of their law.
    Admitting online to a state felony is bad f
    And the statute quoted references a concealed carry license. We have a license to carry a handgun in IN. No mention of concealed or not. You can fight that technicality in IL at your leisure.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany

Wow, that is a whole lot better than when we used to drive through Il. to visit our daughter in Colorado, had to lock it up unloaded (I had a LTCH then too)

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Admitting online to a state felony is bad form.

And the statute quoted references a concealed carry license. We have a license to carry a handgun in IN. No mention of concealed or not. You can fight that technicality in IL at your leisure.
    What felony would he be committing?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Admitting online to a state felony is bad form.

How many times today can I be a felon?
    Am I on a list now?
    WWBRD? BigRed would say screw the state, especially that one. (IL)
    Getting ready to head to Iowa probably this week, IN farm plates on a semi, no DOT, no fuel tax sticker, no inspection paperwork, will have gun.

There’s only one way to beat this system, and it starts with civil disobedience. It can end there too, but that’s up to them.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    It is legal to take your handgun into your motel room if done properly. While still in your vehicle you must unload the gun and place in a case. You may then carry the cased firearm into your room where you can reload. Reverse the procedure to return to your vehicle in the morning. The case does not have to be lockable but the firearm must be unloaded and no need to unload the magazine. Jim.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    When I look at at the CCW app it shows IL does not honor it. It sounds like they at least honor it while you are inside you car. As for staying in the hotel, I doubt anyone would leave the gun in the car where someone could steal it and use it. When you rent a hotel room, I would think that would be like renting a home and that would be considered "inside your home" If they want to get technical you could lock it in a case while carrying it into a hotel room. I always worry about carrying a loaded gun in the car period while driving through IL. If that were legal, I would do it and drive over the speed limit more often.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    When I look at at the CCW app it shows IL does not honor it. It sounds like they at least honor it while you are inside you car. As for staying in the hotel, I doubt anyone would leave the gun in the car where someone could steal it and use it. When you rent a hotel room, I would think that would be like renting a home and that would be considered "inside your home" If they want to get technical you could lock it in a case while carrying it into a hotel room. I always worry about carrying a loaded gun in the car period while driving through IL. If that were legal, I would do it and drive over the speed limit more often.
    I thought there were some court cases that used the language that passing though with no intention of stopping (staying), it was perfectly legal to carry on you, in your car.
    I’m sure it’s in here somewhere…

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    430 ILCS 66/40 (e) does say "... concealed carry licence or permit" but in the spirit of the law I doubt any Illinois judge will split hairs over the verbiage of an Indiana LTCH meeting legal muster as long as it stays in your car. Chicago might be a different story due to the no state preemptions issue, but they seem to track the Illinois codes verbatim. Too long to post, but look up CPD Special Order S06-05-02, it deals specifically with concealed carry. Oh and a hotel room is considered a temporary residence, ie a "1 day apartment lease" so normally you could transport your edc (unloaded) from your car inside. They could however specifically prohibit this in the check-in agreement but the worst thing that may happen is they ask you to leave. Of course all states may be different, but that's off topic. Ymmv

Top Bottom