• ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    So let me see if I get this straight.

From the "gun free school zone" law:
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Okay, I drive an Explorer which does not have a trunk. So until my LTCH comes in, to cross a "school zone" on the way to work range or elsewhere, my rifle and/or shotgun has to be both unloaded or in a locked rack or case? It appears that none of the other "exceptions" apply.

Is that correct?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well, since Indiana doesn't license people to possess long guns...

I really, REALLY hate this law. It serves zero useful puprose by any stretch of the imagination.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, FYI, the IC doesn't provide for transporting a handgun, other than the trip home from where you bought it, and between your fixed places of business and then home. Range trips aren't covered...

As Kludge said, no licencing at all necessary for long guns.

And just driving through a school zone is no biggy. You're on a public through-way. Besides, school zones are NOT the same as "school property".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom