• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    I'm a big guy. Some might say heavy but that's not illegal.

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. I believe I spent $55-$65 for the horse hide (an upsale from the cow hide) about 11 years ago. It's exceptionally well made and very sturdy. The leather does a fabulous job. My carry position is around 4-4:30. I wear Duluth Fire Hose Flex pants every day. I buy one size bigger for comfort (don't want to look like 10 lbs of sausage in a 5 lb casing). There is plenty of room in my pants for the holster and I still am happy to take off the holster every day, especially after driving.

I don't tuck in shirts and I wear layers so an OWB holster in the same position works best for me. I looked at the Alien Gear Shapeshift holster. It appealed and still does appeal. The biggest critique I read is that the little plastic key that increases or decreases retention and can change the hardware to go from IWB to OWB paddle to OWB belt loop to Appendix tends or wear down and get stripped. If left alone, I'm sure it's no problem. The reason I did not buy was because they did not have my specific pistol listed as an option. This particular pistol is modular.

I purchased a StealthGear holster as one of the other posters mentioned. It was ~$140 after tax and shipping. It's also made very well. It does have the combat cut, which isn't such a big deal when it's OWB versus IWB because there's more separation from the skin. It's also multi-piece. The kydex and the clips are separate and attached to the backing with hardware. The Crossbreed Supertuck is a rather large piece of leather and the kydex and clips are riveted to the leather. 11 years later, it can still sound like I'm wearing a diaper.

I've purchased my first and last Crossbreed. I have no regrets. I have not purchased my last StealthGear but I will always be searching for something that might work better for me.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm an exception, most people like it, but I found Crossbreed to be both uncomfortable in the extreme and difficult to get a correct grip from. The backing plate was the exact wrong size and shape for me and my pistol. The clips were also rough on things. MTAC holsters are more money than either option you listed but are, IMO, much better quality.
    Former Crossbreed for decade, now MTAC for years which is a slimmer leather profile resulting in easier grip/draw, less heat retention/sweat. and greater comfort. Alien gear I wore for a month while looking for Crossbreed alternative. Hotter than Crossbreed. Seemed flimsy.

Why do I usually agree with this guy?

I carry full size a LOT. Compact sometimes and sub compact if situation dictates. MTAC and Crossbreed both very durable, but for a reliable grip/draw, comfort while wearing...pay for the MTAC.

Disclaimer...when I bought my holster these brands weren't offering cuts of holsters like cuts of steaks along with when how where what they were fed along with a sign-off sheet on who massaged the cow.

There were one or 2 options, kinda like when mom fixed steak for dinner. Cut was already decided but you could pick through the pile for level of doneness.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    You cant get a correct grip without the Combat Cut, IMHO. I ended up cutting my own.

I have tried both. I like Crossbreed better.
    Also check out crossbreed seconds for a good deal. Its a little different. Its all the stuff that they goofed and missed the mark with QC but are still good. (or somebody like BBI tried on and returned under their guarantee) You dont buy them normally.

You choose the holster you want and "order" it. That marks it sold for 2 weeks. You then mail in a copy of your order with a money order and when that arrives on their end, your holster ships. Dont send the MO, it goes back on the shelf. I bought a seconds, and it was still a fine holster.

Mentioning this site is just downright mean (at least to my wallet!). I had been able to avoid the siren call up to now, but have a couple options inbound. Hopefully my hip enjoys it more than my wallet.
    --Rick

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Yup. That's the issue with hybrids...except the MTAC Minotaur, which uses two pieces of leather that reinforce each other and maintain shape. See: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2746127409

Even when you're fat, it resists pushing the flap over the opening.

Cracking? Bro, every kydex holster will eventually crack and every leather holster will eventually rip. Maybe 1 year, maybe 100 years, depending on a mulitude of factors...but I took Craig Douglas' ECQC with a Minotaur with no issues and it's got a lot of years on it. I actually wore it today since I've went back to strong side carry until we get optics allowed for duty guns.

Clips are interchangeable but they can come loose and are wear items. Treat them as such. J hooks are better.

Retention? His shake test is dumb. A holster is a component of a system, not the entire system. It needs to be on the belt and with the pressure of a body against it to be tested for friction retention. A lot of high quality holsters without active retention are going to fail a shake test like he did it but never cause issues in the field. The MTAC has retention adjustment and the leather backing plate is boned. For his style shake test, I've got it set to come out in about 3 medium shakes, but I can hang from the monkey bars all day with it in my belt. IF I adjusted it to pass his test it would be stuck once worn properly.

So, while he has valid points they apply to the hybrids he has tried, all of which are single backing piece designs. They very much have the issues he points out. The dual backing piece with proper boning does not.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yup. That's the issue with hybrids...except the MTAC Minotaur, which uses two pieces of leather that reinforce each other and maintain shape. See: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2746127409

Even when you're fat, it resists pushing the flap over the opening.

Cracking? Bro, every kydex holster will eventually crack and every leather holster will eventually rip. Maybe 1 year, maybe 100 years, depending on a mulitude of factors...but I took Craig Douglas' ECQC with a Minotaur with no issues and it's got a lot of years on it. I actually wore it today since I've went back to strong side carry until we get optics allowed for duty guns.

Clips are interchangeable but they can come loose and are wear items. Treat them as such. J hooks are better.

Retention? His shake test is dumb. A holster is a component of a system, not the entire system. It needs to be on the belt and with the pressure of a body against it to be tested for friction retention. A lot of high quality holsters without active retention are going to fail a shake test like he did it but never cause issues in the field. The MTAC has retention adjustment and the leather backing plate is boned. For his style shake test, I've got it set to come out in about 3 medium shakes, but I can hang from the monkey bars all day with it in my belt. IF I adjusted it to pass his test it would be stuck once worn properly.

So, while he has valid points they apply to the hybrids he has tried, all of which are single backing piece designs. They very much have the issues he points out. The dual backing piece with proper boning does not.
    That's actually cheaper than both Alien gear and Crossbreed holsters.
    Will give that a try if they ever make one for the CZ P10F with TLR 1 light.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have had both Alien Gear and Crossbreed for many various handguns. Between the two, I was happy with both. Note I did NOT like the Alien Gear Shapeshift system, felt like it added bulk and felt cheap. I am a larger guy and always assumed a kydex holster would be uncomfortable, but I recently learned that assumption was wrong. I now own a Vedder kydex holster for everything I own and it is more comfortable for me than a hybrid.

AC3D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have had both and prefer the cross bred holster myself. I recently just modified one that was for my shield and gave the kydex a trim to accommodate the shield+ with an optic mounted.

AC3D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Great suggestions by the bother guys going to have to look into some of these other holster companies as I am looking at a new carry gun (FN 509M) to put in the rotation

Top Bottom