• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A lot of assumptions going on here. Maybe Baldwin was careless, maybe not. Scenes are shot at all kinds of angles and it is not uncommon AT ALL for prop guns to not be handled with proper muzzle discipline to get the angle they need while shooting the scene. This is why they are supposed to use guns that cannot chamber real rounds at all and are supposed to observe a rule of being several feet from the muzzle even when blanks are used.

I get it....we don't like his position, so he must be fully at fault. Maybe he is, but such assumptions have little relationship with reality. A-holes aren't always at fault for everything that goes on around them.
    Sigh. It isn't his position that makes us point out anything other than his likely impending hypocrisy

I would think it was negligent even if you did it. There is never an excuse for pointing a weapon at someone unless you intend to shoot them

'It was supposed to have blanks in it' is just a variation of 'I didn't think it was loaded'

If you don't point the muzzle at anyone, they cannot be 'accidentally' shot regardless of the other circumstances

Barring some kind of chamber explosion, he broke all four rules

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's too early to get hard facts, I suppose, but one thing I thought might be a contributing factor: the woman who died was the director of photography. Perhaps they were getting a shot of Baldwin looking the camera down the barrel.....just a guess. In any event, the armorer is central to this screwup. 4gpypOFL.jpeg

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Ain't it funny how things "circle back" ?

Alec Baldwin facing backlash for 2017 tweet questioning 'how it must feel to wrongfully kill someone'​

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Why hasn't there been any explanation of events that led to injury and death? A bomb explodes at Boston Marathon and the perps pics are on t.v. quicker than you can cook a Hot Pocket in a microwave. A raving leftist accidentally, somehow, shoots, injures one and kills another and not a peep. Accident, negligence, culpability, whatever. Details in this situation will matter. But Alec can suck a big one regardless.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If you point a Nerf gun at someone and it fires a real bullet, how are you the ******* for "violating gun safety"? It's a fake gun that should never shoot bullets.

Unless he brought a pocket full of ammo from home and loaded the gun, Baldwin isn't to blame for this. It's a prop gun. It's FOR pointing at people. The entire point of the existence of a prop gun is to be safe to point at and shoot people with. Just like the point of a rubber knife is to be safe to stab people with.

That's like blaming someone for being killed by an exploding sandwich because "hurr, he should have checked the sandwich first, negligent dummy". No, sandwiches don't explode, and you have no reason to ever anticipate your sandwich exploding.

In a century of movie making you can count incidents like this on one hand. It should simply never be a possibility. No live ammunition should ever be on the set, let alone loaded, let alone given to an actor whose job it is NOT to fiddle unnecessarily with props.

The failure here is totally upstream and Baldwin doesn't assume blame because he said some dumb crap on Twitter.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    If you point a Nerf gun at someone and it fires a real bullet, how are you the ******* for "violating gun safety"? It's a fake gun that should never shoot bullets.

Unless he brought a pocket full of ammo from home and loaded the gun, Baldwin isn't to blame for this. It's a prop gun. It's FOR pointing at people. The entire point of the existence of a prop gun is to be safe to point at and shoot people with. Just like the point of a rubber knife is to be safe to stab people with.

That's like blaming someone for being killed by an exploding sandwich because "hurr, he should have checked the sandwich first, negligent dummy". No, sandwiches don't explode, and you have no reason to ever anticipate your sandwich exploding.

In a century of movie making you can count incidents like this on one hand. It should simply never be a possibility. No live ammunition should ever be on the set, let alone loaded, let alone given to an actor whose job it is NOT to fiddle unnecessarily with props.

The failure here is totally upstream and Baldwin doesn't assume blame because he said some dumb crap on Twitter.
    Sounds like someone was not trained properly.

Mike Tristano, 60, a Hollywood armorer with 30 years' experience who spoke to the Dailymail.com, said ultimate responsibility for gun safety on movie set rests with the armorer.

The movie's armorer or weapons master has not been been named. Sante Fe Sheriff's Department says it will continue to interview 'witnesses' on Friday.

‘There should have been blanks in the gun, the on-set armorer’s job is to check that before handing the weapon over,’ Tristan said.

‘They then make sure that the actor stands on a mark and never points the gun at the crew or cast... the editing makes it seem like they were pointing at their co-actor.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The Director of Photography and the Director typically watch through a monitor away from the scene. The DP may very well look through the camera as pictured but when filming that is the camera operator. The DP may operate once in 1000 shots, but the director always is at the monitor.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't think there's a rule about their prop guns being modified to not chamber real ammunition, i'm not sure how they would even do that. If a gun is used in a firing sequence it's likely an actual real gun especially if it's a revolver. A lot of the semi-autos are real firearms using 9mm blanks, ground down locking lugs, and severely plugged barrels hence when something like this happens a revolver is usually the culprit. There are actually some decent facsimiles of the western guns using those 8mm blanks but for the DA revolvers some end up looking a bit capgun like and not realistic, same with the semi-autos.

You are correct about prop guns being unmodified. All of the movie guns I own are fully functional although some had sat around so long they needed major cleanup and work to get going. The Colt Lightning rifle at the top was used by Western Costume Company. The top Lightning revolver came from Stembridge. lightnings.jpg

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I am not sure how that affects the thousands of ND's every year by other people or this thing. I am not absolving Baldwin of wrondoing only trying to explain what may have happened based on my knowledge of film sets.
    When presented as an accident it gives the impression that it was completely unavoidable like a star falling from the sky. ND is the term that they always try to avoid because negligence forces responsibility on someone. If it is you or I reckless would probably be their choice of words but because it's one of the "chosen" it was accident..

accident

ăk′sĭ-dənt, -dĕnt″

noun​

1. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm.
    2. An unforeseen event that is not the result of intention or has no apparent cause.
    The apparent cause was negligence or recklessness on several levels but favored sons are incapable of such heinous actions.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You are correct about prop guns being unmodified. All of the movie guns I own are fully functional although some had sat around so long they needed major cleanup and work to get going. The Colt Lightning rifle at the top was used by Western Costume Company. The top Lightning revolver came from Stembridge. View attachment 164572
    Great collection, I remember the dealer not too long ago that set up at the 1500 and had one of Steven Seagal's movie 1911's, you could see the modified ejection port and ground down top lugs to make it easier to cycle with the blanks.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Regardless of on set rules, the person holding the weapon is ultimately responsible for its safe use. He should be charged

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Suedo guns kills again. Until the peeps take safe gun handling seriously this will always be. Prop, toy, blue, unloaded guns continue to kill through association transference as a “safe harmless inanimate object that is harmless”.

Said it 30 years ago and I still get arguments from so called experts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom