• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    The benefits of a good gunsmith can go a long way in how a average gun works compared to one that has been work on by a good gunsmith. Cree Custom Firearms worked on a older Springfield 1911 for me. The Barrel was in bad shape and had a lot of slop in the lock up. Andy put a Kart barrel in the gun and a new bushing. That was back around Thanksgiving. The Idea for this gun was to get a Single Stack to run in USPSA and A 1911 to run in IDPA. I have had this gun for several years and never did much with it so it became the project gun. The gun ran fine and as long as you were close 7 yrds or less. it was a champ. At 20 yrds well it was just OK and would not cut it for competition. So I took it to Andy let him look at it he said he could make it better but it would probably never be as good as a built gun. He shot me a price and after a couple weeks I called him to schedule the barrel replacement. As Andy got into the gun the previous owner had done some home gunsmithing I had already known that because I had corrected a few things myself. Needless to say Any had to put more in it than he thought but when it was done I felt I had a solid gun.
    The holidays came then the cold weather so I finally got out today to really wring it out. I had run some ammo through it earlier to make sure it functioned but had not really worked on the load or the accuracy until today.

IMG_0022.JPG

Before I took the gun to Cree Custom I grabbed a target and ran a magazine I found the target in the shop today so the old and new are side by side. This group was shot at 15 yrds. The left group was the old barrel and fitting it measured 6.25". The group on the right is the same gun after Cree Custom Firearms worked his magic. It would have been 2" but the shooter dropped one so it ended up being 3".

IMG_0024.JPG

I want to thank Andy Cree for taking the time to make it right. He could have easily put the barrel in and let it go at that but he found some other issues and corrected them. He took this average gun and turned it into a pretty good gun, He said it was going to shoot better but probably not as good as my STI Edge. It's going to be close.

My point of this post is there are gunsmiths in this area that can help you turn a OK shooting gun into a good shooting gun. You don't need to buy a Les Bear or Wilson Combat 1911 to get a great gun.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
      IMG_0023.JPG
      39.5 KB · Views: 21

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The benefits of a good gunsmith can go a long way in how a average gun works compared to one that has been work on by a good gunsmith. Cree Custom Firearms worked on a older Springfield 1911 for me. The Barrel was in bad shape and had a lot of slop in the lock up. Andy put a Kart barrel in the gun and a new bushing. That was back around Thanksgiving. The Idea for this gun was to get a Single Stack to run in USPSA and A 1911 to run in IDPA. I have had this gun for several years and never did much with it so it became the project gun. The gun ran fine and as long as you were close 7 yrds or less. it was a champ. At 20 yrds well it was just OK and would not cut it for competition. So I took it to Andy let him look at it he said he could make it better but it would probably never be as good as a built gun. He shot me a price and after a couple weeks I called him to schedule the barrel replacement. As Andy got into the gun the previous owner had done some home gunsmithing I had already known that because I had corrected a few things myself. Needless to say Any had to put more in it than he thought but when it was done I felt I had a solid gun.
    The holidays came then the cold weather so I finally got out today to really wring it out. I had run some ammo through it earlier to make sure it functioned but had not really worked on the load or the accuracy until today.

View attachment 63341

Before I took the gun to Cree Custom I grabbed a target and ran a magazine I found the target in the shop today so the old and new are side by side. This group was shot at 15 yrds. The left group was the old barrel and fitting it measured 6.25". The group on the right is the same gun after Cree Custom Firearms worked his magic. It would have been 2" but the shooter dropped one so it ended up being 3".

View attachment 63343

I want to thank Andy Cree for taking the time to make it right. He could have easily put the barrel in and let it go at that but he found some other issues and corrected them. He took this average gun and turned it into a pretty good gun, He said it was going to shoot better but probably not as good as my STI Edge. It's going to be close.

My point of this post is there are gunsmiths in this area that can help you turn a OK shooting gun into a good shooting gun. You don't need to buy a Les Bear or Wilson Combat 1911 to get a great gun.

The last sentence in this post says it all......:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While the props were for Andy. I have seen quality work from so many around here yet people think they are getting something super by the name on the gun. Thanks for your dedication all of the Gunsmiths that really work at the trade.

Oh Andy knows I respect his work. I am just saying knowing the right people will get you so many good results.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Thank you greatly for the kind words! I am but one of many who are trying to do the best they can and I learn from them daily.

Andy

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I wish I had encountered one of you guys or one like you when I got into shooting many years ago. I got stuck by a bubba-smith, who the LGS at the time ran their work through. Had a so called custom gun from Para Ordnance double stack (P14) frame and National Match Gold Cup slide, built and it was just junk. I would have been so much better off if I had put my money into a straight up Gold Cup from the factory at the time. Caused me to swear of 1911's for decades and I've been down the form follows function polymer road for 25+ years now.

One of these days I may just have to get a good one and drop it off to Allen, Cree or Havlin and have some magic done. I appreciate the pics of the great work I see done by these guys, just not sure I can drop the $ that one of these costs these days.

Nice work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish I had encountered one of you guys or one like you when I got into shooting many years ago. I got stuck by a bubba-smith, who the LGS at the time ran their work through. Had a so called custom gun from Para Ordnance double stack (P14) frame and National Match Gold Cup slide, built and it was just junk. I would have been so much better off if I had put my money into a straight up Gold Cup from the factory at the time. Caused me to swear of 1911's for decades and I've been down the form follows function polymer road for 25+ years now.

One of these days I may just have to get a good one and drop it off to Allen, Cree or Havlin and have some magic done. I appreciate the pics of the great work I see done by these guys, just not sure I can drop the $ that one of these costs these days.

Nice work.

I think I know who the douche bag smith was.

Top Bottom