• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I didn't work at a desk. Started that after retirement.
    Our ancestors removed a lot of animals for food and those that would be a threat to their families and livestock at the time.
    I grew up, up to the age of 10 some 120 miles south of Memphis, TN. We would roam the woods and fields never seeing a foot print or other signs of what is around here now. White tail deer were brought into the area in the late '50's for study. Flooding allowed them to escape from their pens. I never heard of a deer hunting season until the late '60's. Coyote's were brought in during the early '70's to help reduce their herds.
    As a kid if we came home late after a night in town there would be hundreds of rabbits along the gravel roads. Now we might see 1 during a night drive.
    It’s not coyotes.. it’s the deer or Brandon!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The coyotes were visiting once or twice each night. I noticed one had marked her territory. I put in a brighter outdoor light and sprayed the area the coyote had marked with bear repellent. Since then, the coyotes haven't been back.
    We'll see...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    Theory’s flawed and not always going play by the rules you state.. especially in town.
    In our part of the Country we’ve taken care of the problem and in check. They know to stay away
    Interesting concept and I can appreciate your point of view.

call me crazy/er. No worries just makes for more targets... not sure of the mindset here but a fence does nothing in the logic you have in the country. Not logical or practical. What is practical is targets they provide. And it works fine where I live. Thanks for posting.
    im not sure what you mean about a fence doing nothing in the country. i live in the country and havent lost any livestock or pets to coyotes and id chalk that up to good fences and well built coops. if the predators cant get to prey, they dont bother with it. i see coyotes come passed the chicken coop every so often but they dont bother with it because they have learned they cant get in to it and the birds are put away at night. if youre saying that having more of them is fine because it gives you more things to shoot than id argue you dont really care about the ecosystem in your area or small game and deer populations because more predators would equal more predation

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    im not sure what you mean about a fence doing nothing in the country. i live in the country and havent lost any livestock or pets to coyotes and id chalk that up to good fences and well built coops. if the predators cant get to prey, they dont bother with it. i see coyotes come passed the chicken coop every so often but they dont bother with it because they have learned they cant get in to it and the birds are put away at night. if youre saying that having more of them is fine because it gives you more things to shoot than id argue you dont really care about the ecosystem in your area or small game and deer populations because more predators would equal more predation
    Your argument could use some education. Perhaps a better attitude would allow you to get to know some of the fine ethical sportsmen who frequent this board. Instead of having us ignore you because of attitude and know-it-all status.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fellas........:popcorn:

We all have an opinion. We all express them. In this its hard to say who is right and who is wrong. Or any percentage in between.
    I know what I have seen and experienced through friends that own property and yes yotes are devastating in some areas to ground animals. I have seen it.
    My experiences may not match yours. But they are my experiences.

Open discussion please. Understand no 2 people see much of anything in the same way.

Enjoy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As stated already we have done as we can in the past to thin the yote population but as nature will have it they reproduce to the food source. People think they are smarter than they really are.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A neighbor of mine who is on this board does well with the Maginot line livestock protection method, but he does shoot predators as well. The fortifications works 24 hours a day which makes it a useful tool.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A neighbor of mine who is on this board does well with the Maginot line livestock protection method, but he does shoot predators as well. The fortifications works 24 hours a day which makes it a useful tool.
    But...but... but, The Democrats said fences don't work.
    :hehe::lol2:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Any suggestions other than a six foot fence and shooting them?
    They ignore the motion activated light.
    What about something like this ? :dunno:

754717.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Fellas........:popcorn:

We all have an opinion. We all express them. In this its hard to say who is right and who is wrong. Or any percentage in between.
    I know what I have seen and experienced through friends that own property and yes yotes are devastating in some areas to ground animals. I have seen it.
    My experiences may not match yours. But they are my experiences.

Open discussion please. Understand no 2 people see much of anything in the same way.

Enjoy.
    Yes, look at me.

Never in doubt and sometimes correct...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Pun intended. I would hope the next shell would be high brass 00 buck just incase the offended animal doesn't get the joke.

It is like a friend was told by his grandfather when he showed him the .32 short revolver his uncle had given him. He said, "You know, if you were to shoot someone with this, and they found out, they would probably take it from you and put it somewhere you wouldn't like..."

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Pun intended. I would hope the next shell would be high brass 00 buck just incase the offended animal doesn't get the joke.

It is like a friend was told by his grandfather when he showed him the .32 short revolver his uncle had given him. He said, "You know, if you were to shoot someone with this, and they found out, they would probably take it from you and put it somewhere you wouldn't like..."

If there's doubt, a person could always step-it-up to 12 ga. (with a single rubber slug).
    There are plenty of online testimonials about these types of rounds being effective ....by Game Rangers, zoo keepers, and so forth.
    Probably, the animal would only be offended by your misplaced pun, and attempt at a joke.

369768.jpg

Top Bottom