• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good friend of mine lives about five minutes up the road from us, back yard butts up to a small wooded property. She has two adult Rottweilers and the yotes would come up and run the fence line trying to tempt them out of the yard. They would take a domesticated dog down as a pack if its too big for one yote to dispatch alone.

Her husband was out with their dogs and saw this happen, he ran at the fence with a stick, the yote bared it teeth and growled before running off. That was the first and only time that happened. Steps were taken, problem was addressed. If you only see one, trust that there are many. Plan accordingly...
    This. We have them around here. Just north of the motor speedway. They run the creeks and small patches of woods that are in the area. I have seen them meandering through the area at mid day.
    People they are everywhere and no they are not a healthy part of the eco system when they wipe out all the food sources and over populate as they have done in a couple of areas I know. My friends kill every one they see from the stands in season and hunt them as they can to attempt to keep them at bay. The reproduce like a virous.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife is on the NextDoor app, and about monthly someone is all up in a panic because they saw a coyote in the distance. All of these new subdivisions were built right on top of their habitat, so.... what did you expect?

Neighbors were all distraught when their outdoor cat got taken by coyotes. :dunno:

All the same rules apply to 4-legged as well as 2-legged predators. Don't leave your little pets or little kids out unattended, especially around dusk/night.

Wait until they hear about the bobcats....:nailbite:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife is on the NextDoor app, and about monthly someone is all up in a panic because they saw a coyote in the distance. All of these new subdivisions were built right on top of their habitat, so.... what did you expect?

Neighbors were all distraught when their outdoor cat got taken by coyotes. :dunno:

All the same rules apply to 4-legged as well as 2-legged predators. Don't leave your little pets or little kids out unattended, especially around dusk/night.

Wait until they hear about the bobcats....:nailbite:
    Thats typical socker mom reaction when she moves the family outside the loop.

I did an HVAC upgrade a few years back for a nice family on east Kessler. Hubby said mom and the kids had went to her moms because they saw a few yotes down the way by a creek thats wooded. Mom freaked and took the kids.

You cant make this stuff up.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This. We have them around here. Just north of the motor speedway. They run the creeks and small patches of woods that are in the area. I have seen them meandering through the area at mid day.
    People they are everywhere and no they are not a healthy part of the eco system when they wipe out all the food sources and over populate as they have done in a couple of areas I know. My friends kill every one they see from the stands in season and hunt them as they can to attempt to keep them at bay. The reproduce like a virous.
    I have heard similar things said about wild cats. Both must be underperformers by me because there is a lot of wildlife still. Mice, Rabbits, Opossums, etc. I am one that leaves them alone if they leave me alone. My LGDs keeps them away from my goats. They are no threat to the horses, and if a barn cat wanders out and gets eaten, well that is the way nature works. Granted they are rare to actually see around here. There are plenty of people that will shoot them, so they are kind of shy.

Honest question, if they wipe out all of their food sources, how do they continue to increase their population? Sounds like starvation time at that point.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And, BTW: coyotes are absolutely native. They were here long before we were. Will likely be here long after we are gone.

Their range has extended thanks to HUMANS. We killed off their natural competitors (wolves and large cats), encroached on their habitat, created NEW habitat (stripped forests to create farmland and open areas), and provided abundant food (deer herds growing thanks to conservation, and lots of pets and garbage to eat).

They serve a purpose. Keep other critters in check. I don't mind a few around, as long as we don't bump heads. They can eat all the mice, rats, squirrels, rabbits, and feral cats that they want. Heck, we actually enjoy hearing them yap and chatter while hunting frogs around the pond behind the neighborhood. Means spring has sprung. We don't have enough in this area to be a real problem.

I hear hunters complain about their impact on deer. As deer populations are back up around pre-1900 levels now, it doesn't seem like coyotes are a worry.

I understand a farmer's worry. Livestock are easy pickings. Coyotes are the #1 predator.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have heard similar things said about wild cats. Both must be underperformers by me because there is a lot of wildlife still. Mice, Rabbits, Opossums, etc. I am one that leaves them alone if they leave me alone. My LGDs keeps them away from my goats. They are no threat to the horses, and if a barn cat wanders out and gets eaten, well that is the way nature works. Granted they are rare to actually see around here. There are plenty of people that will shoot them, so they are kind of shy.

Honest question, if they wipe out all of their food sources, how do they continue to increase their population? Sounds like starvation time at that point.
    They come closer to people. They find ways to eat. Fido and kitty like has been stated. Our once out of control Ferrell cat issues are seemingly all but gone now and thanks to them for this. If I came across as they completely wipe out the food source no but they diminish it to where we once could hunt ground nesting birds and rabbits to its seldom seeing them anymore. 550 acres of land groomed for hunting. My lifelong friend owns it and has done all he can to make it so. The birds and rabbits are all but gone and the Turkeys are noticeably fewer now. They take young dear. Yes, it's what predators do. I get that.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not sure what this one is carrying around as I am not missing any cats, but he is definitely carrying something through the back yard.

STC_0158.JPG

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Good friend of mine lives about five minutes up the road from us, back yard butts up to a small wooded property. She has two adult Rottweilers and the yotes would come up and run the fence line trying to tempt them out of the yard. They would take a domesticated dog down as a pack if its too big for one yote to dispatch alone.

Her husband was out with their dogs and saw this happen, he ran at the fence with a stick, the yote bared it teeth and growled before running off. That was the first and only time that happened. Steps were taken, problem was addressed. If you only see one, trust that there are many. Plan accordingly...

Old Blackjack would allow them to lure him out into the field, and them kill them all. Many's the time he would come home limping and covered in blood, and laughing the whole way. In his prime he ran about 110, and could keep up with deer easily. I miss that dog.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I hear coyotes going through at night here often. There's a creek and this is an ideal spot for access, so I see deer, cranes, coyotes, snapping turtles. Used to be a beaver but I think the neighbor shot it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    ”Coyotes (Canis latrans) are native to Indiana and were often called “prairie wolves.” Before the European settlement of Indiana, coyotes were primarily restricted to prairie regions of the state. Today, coyotes are found throughout Indiana, including urban areas.” From the DNR website. Remember, YOU are more invasive than coyotes
    Been lied to by the DNR b4. Won't be the first time. You do you. I've seen no evidence presented that coyotes were here before about 1975.

Top Bottom