• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Not a very good picture, but here are two coyotes in my back yard in eastern Hendricks county. I live in a sub-division near Eagle Creek Park.

Should I be concerned? Is there a good coyote repellent?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They've probably been around all along. Keep an eye on any small pets that go outside if you have any.

Otherwise they will be helping keep the varmint population down.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I live more rural that you but not nearly as rural as when I moved in. We have what seems to be two groups local now needing to be thinned out. I got one with the marlin 39a at 20 yards in the last month shooting out of the garden. So far the outdoor cats are fine.

We had them yelping hard In The back yard of late. Right at dusk. I think we are in between the two groups. Because of the neighborhood cows and horses and houses the high powered rifles no longer get to come out of the back door often. I have a 870 barrel that groups #4 buckshot at 60 yards very well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    nothing to worry about unless you have pets out at night or early morning and even then, most coyotes dont want anything to do with you so if youre out there in the yard with your dog while its doing its business, you are probably alright. i know its not a popular opinion but i love coyotes and enjoy seeing them from the stand. they are an important part of a healthy ecosystem

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Small dogs or cats make a good meal for coyotes, if you have them outside at all you can bet they are watching. Friends living in Westfield lost their small dog in the middle of the day when it was on a chain in the back yard.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Good friend of mine lives about five minutes up the road from us, back yard butts up to a small wooded property. She has two adult Rottweilers and the yotes would come up and run the fence line trying to tempt them out of the yard. They would take a domesticated dog down as a pack if its too big for one yote to dispatch alone.

Her husband was out with their dogs and saw this happen, he ran at the fence with a stick, the yote bared it teeth and growled before running off. That was the first and only time that happened. Steps were taken, problem was addressed. If you only see one, trust that there are many. Plan accordingly...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Coyote will family pack mainly mom and pups. When they start to pack up outside of breeding season that they at to common in the area .

Most coyotes if you see them they will be running away. The one I shot in the garden was getting to used to people and dwellings.
    He was young. He was coming into the garden kinda chased by my min pin.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have an agreement with the coyotes here, as long as they stay away from the house I leave them alone. When they get too close or start disturbing the gardener with that chupacabra noise they make sometimes, I start hunting them again until it stops.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    nothing to worry about unless you have pets out at night or early morning and even then, most coyotes dont want anything to do with you so if youre out there in the yard with your dog while its doing its business, you are probably alright. i know its not a popular opinion but i love coyotes and enjoy seeing them from the stand. they are an important part of a healthy ecosystem
    They are an invasive species in this locale and damnably hard on the foxes and groundhogs who actually ARE part of a healthy local ecosystem. Kill 'em all.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They are an invasive species in this locale and damnably hard on the foxes and groundhogs who actually ARE part of a healthy local ecosystem. Kill 'em all.
    Not to mention the number of fawns and turkeys they kill. With zero natural predators, hunting them is necessary to keep the population in check.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Coyotes are part of our life down here. Just came back in from backyard you can hear them on the hill about 200 meters away.

We mostly shoot on sight if on your land it’s legal.

Note: I love all animals and take no pleasure in killing them just because. Coyotes are not part of our native species the wolfs and big cats are gone they kept the Coyotes at bay.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

”Coyotes (Canis latrans) are native to Indiana and were often called “prairie wolves.” Before the European settlement of Indiana, coyotes were primarily restricted to prairie regions of the state. Today, coyotes are found throughout Indiana, including urban areas.” From the DNR website. Remember, YOU are more invasive than coyotes

Top Bottom