• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerhunter414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Kokomo
    Setting up a new Wilson Combat Protector 5.56 as a coyote gun. My current coyote AR has a vortex diamondback tactical SFP MOA 3-9x40. I like the scope but would rather go to an illuminated LVPO with a BDC reticle with wind hold marks.

Currently considering the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 SFP AR-BDC3 reticle and Primary Arms SLX 1-8x24 FFP ACSS Raptor reticle.

Thoughts on these scopes and what else I should be looking at under $700?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Setting up a new Wilson Combat Protector 5.56 as a coyote gun. My current coyote AR has a vortex diamondback tactical SFP MOA 3-9x40. I like the scope but would rather go to an illuminated LVPO with a BDC reticle with wind hold marks.

Currently considering the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 SFP AR-BDC3 reticle and Primary Arms SLX 1-8x24 FFP ACSS Raptor reticle.

Thoughts on these scopes and what else I should be looking at under $700?

For what its worth, this would be my pick.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I havent used them, but some of those primary arms reticles look pretty slick....
    The Primary Arms ACSS reticle is fantastic. I don't have one yet for my coyote AR but I have an Apollo on my 6.5 and it is amazing! There are plenty of videos explaining just how easy these reticles are to use on the CountryMash and TiborasaurusRex channels.

deerhunter414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Kokomo
    How do you hunt coyotes? Long or short range? Fields of woods? Day or night? Calling or stalking?
    mostly long range, open fields adjacent to wooded areas, both day and night with red light, calling

Really just looking for illuminated LVPO options/suggestions out there other than what I suggested above. I am not looking to go full dedicated night coyote setup with a thermal/NV setup as I also like to long range (5.56/223 long range...400-600yds) plink with the gun as well.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I just built up a 6mm ARC for dedicated yote hunting and put a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the illuminated reticle. 300 yards would likely be my max shot in a stand scenario with mostly less than 150 yard shots. Couldn’t be happier.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I used to use a 556 AR with a Vortex 1-8 SE on the ground on a bipod or shooting stick day or night(with a red light) with a game call or over a dead carcass of some sort with good results. Traded that AR for silver and now use a Remington 700VTR 22-250 with a Vortex 4-12 Diamondback Tactical using the same tactics and equipment with good results.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    mostly long range, open fields adjacent to wooded areas, both day and night with red light, calling

Really just looking for illuminated LVPO options/suggestions out there other than what I suggested above. I am not looking to go full dedicated night coyote setup with a thermal/NV setup as I also like to long range (5.56/223 long range...400-600yds) plink with the gun as well.
    Not really the type of yote hunting I do, most of mine is in the woods, except at night and I use digital NV for that. Even so, around here it is difficult to get a shot over 300 yards due to terrain and small fields so I don't need a lot of magnification. For my hunting style I have certain preferences, glass clarity and low light performance are the main factors so I ca see any limbs in the way and also get a good hit when the light is bad but not bad enough to be using a light. I'm also not rich so I have to make some compromises. I also like to keep things simple so no knob spinning or reticles that require a smart phone and calculator to use.
    In your case I'd drop the LPVO and go with something along the lines of a 4-16x with excellent low light performance. It might be things have changed lately but IME LPVOs are lacking in low light performance. Kinda hard to hit a yote back in the deep shadows right at dusk or dawn if you can't see them, even with an illuminated reticle. Hopefully Rookie will chime in, as that seems to be more of the type of hunting he does.
    For a good all around scope I think Alan has the right idea. It'll be good for about all ranges out to 400 or even further with some practice. As long as it has good low light performance.
    All that said, the conventional scopes I use are a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x44, a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33, and a Burris 1.5-6x42 on the rifles I use for serious yote hunting with the Vortex and Leupold getting the most use.

Top Bottom