• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    What optic are people using for night time hunting? I’ve never used night vision or thermal. I will mainly use this optic on a bolt gun but could potentially move it to an AR at some point. Recommendations will be most appreciated as I’ve got 0 experience in this area. Thanks Jesse

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got a Sightmark Wraith for night hunting. It is a digital scope and requires IR light to used in the dark. It works but since it does use lighting the range is on the shorter side. Thermal is much better but also comes at a much higher cost. Rookie is probably the most experienced person here with optics for night hunting so hopefully he'll drop in.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It really depends on what your budget is. If you want to stay under $1,000, then stick with the Sightmark Wraith. If you're willing to invest a decent amount, then thermal is what you really want.

Since you're reasonably close to me, feel free to pm me and I can show you different options. With thermal, it's a lot better to get some time behind them so you know what you're getting into. I have a few (six) different options that you could look at...

Also, I wouldn't recommend a bolt gun for night coyotes for a few reasons. First, doubles are a pretty common occurrence. Second, most thermal scopes are designed more towards AR style platforms.

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    I agree with Rookie . Don't miss the opportunity to get some actual time using NV or Thermal before you buy . I've hunted coyotes with all three . My preferences are : 1-thermal 320 or above . 2- True NV . 3- IR night vision .

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    If your going to get serious about night hunting for coyotes , be prepared to buy a good monocular for scanning . Scanning with your scope on your rifle will wear you out quick .

Top Bottom