Could an admin please delete my account?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many (daily bump) frequent sellers are actually selling off their collections though? Specifically, those who don't contribute to the forum otherwise?

What about those who only sell gear? You know the one's always at the top of the parts and accessories section?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Define regular and continued.. That's awfully vague...
    If a person that has 100 personally owned firearms sells 10 a year for 10 years as a person sale is that person breaking the law?

See post #41. I wasn't trying to derail the post to who is an unlicensed gun dealer. I was pointing out that the OP had a few guns for sale, had no activity for a while, and came back with a few more for sale. Like I said nothing really raised my eyebrows. If he really contributed to indigo and didn't ask such an odd question, no one would have noticed. Now he's just wanting to wash his hands of indigo. I've been answered your questions you asked me the best way that I can with what facts I can find, as has cce1302. What a wealth of knowledge he is. I've been as helpful as I can so there's the facts. I really don't make it a point to argue the law. About all I can do if I don't like it is vote for my NRA lobbyist or my state senator.

If a person buys 20 firearms a year and doesn't like an average of 8-10 of them and they get sold by private sale, is that person break ng the law?

And why do you think that making a profit selling a firearm is a bad ( breaking the law ) thing?

Nothing really raised my eyebrows. There was a few for sale, I followed the crowd and spoke without checking the facts. What's throwing everyone is an odd question and not really contributing to the forum, but I don't see anything criminal. I think we can all learn here, me, him, us. It's messy.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Guy Relford covered this on his show a couple weeks back.

Liquidating your collection is not considered being a seller. Now if you are buying guns and selling them for profit, you are a seller. But just selling off your guns you have personally owned for a while is fine. (even if you do make a long term profit due to increased value over the long term, it became collectible, etc)

Thank you Monkey.

That did not come out right but oh well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    So if I have had over a hundred guns for better than 30 years and I decided to sell ten a year for the next ten years, certainly I will make a profit. I mean I payed 325.00 for my 8" Python with Ellison's and a Colt paper trigger job. So I sell it and some other guns for a healthy profit as private sales, please tell me what law I am breaking by making a profit reselling my personal firearms, and why would I not be a responsible person by doing so?
    Selling at a profit and selling FOR profit are different. And the difference lies in why you bought in the first place.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I know a guy who was visited at his place of work by the ATF because he was buying guns and reselling them for a profit. The way he ended up on their radar is he bought several of the same gun at a very low price; Im guessing a multiple pistol form maybe? He argued what he was doing wasn't illegal by selling them and they basically said he needed to either slow down or get a license. I asked him if they would in that case give him one then since they aren't really handing out at home FFL's anymore and he did not know.

My last trip to the ffl, I picked up 4 40 cals and a le6920. I've put my preferred sights on the 40's. My ffl had to notify local law enforcement and the ATF. I drew attention to myself but I'm not worried about it. I have them and they're not for sale. The only thing I would have done different that I recently learned on ingo is to pick them up at Parabellum. $25 transfer no limit is what I heard. Thanks ingo.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I haven't bought or sold anything on ingo. I like Expats 1911 but he's not local. Hope I get up that way before someone snatches it up.:hooked:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I read all of this thread with interest and the posting of a site with the following:

"David enjoys hunting and has a large variety of hunting rifles. He likes to have the
    newest models with the most current features. To pay for his new rifles, a few times a
    year David sells his older weapons to fellow hunters for a profit. David does not need
    to be licensed because he is engaging in occasional sales for enhancement of his
    personal collection."

I identified with the person above.
    I buy to improve what I've got, selling what I have to get others, and/or to pay for what I have b/c money sets limitations.
    I've never bought with the intention of selling, b/c I buy "right" and hope to be able to keep it, b/c over the last 19 months I've learned that its replacement is going to cost more. (maybe in retirement I'll be forced to pare down to only the "bargain" guns and goodbye to the ones I have grown to love)

Sometimes I keep a gun for months b/c it is the best after buying/selling/shooting others (Ex.: buying the Shield 9mm after trying out several others), but decided the Sig 365 was "the one" and sold the Shield 9mm.
    Sometimes I have bought a gun, taken it to the range and sold it the next day b/c it wasn't what I expected.
    Since I usually post range pics of all my guns at the range, I would think that makes the case that I'm not buying to resell, but buying for use and pleasure.
    I must sell something I have in order to get something else (Ex.: Sold items to buy CZs last summer, and then sold 2 CZs to buy a more expensive CZ (Shadow 2) since I can't afford to own them all or keep everything I bought (would love to, though): money is the limiting factor.
    Plus, I feel the need to keep my guns in a safe, and it is a limiting factor of quantity as well.

B/C of my inexperience, I have had to go through alot of guns to get to where I'm satisfied with the guns I have, but it is a continual ongoing process.
    I have had only 2 "permanent" revolvers for CC, and only 2 "permanent" semi-autos" for CC in the past 19 months: the rest were seeing if I wanted to switch to a different revolver b/c of having a hammer or caliber or size or whatever.

Same with my .22LR revolvers: took awhile to figure out what I wanted: down to only two, and it took a few buy/sell to get there
    Really more of the same thing with the .22LR semi-autos: it has been and is continuing to be a long journey to get settled in on what is a keeper: not done there.

My range toy 9mms: continual ongoing experimenting: it will probably end with retirement, but If I could only keep what I have I'd feel good about it.
    I bought the CZ P09 recently, violating my own "prefer all-metal to polymers" just to give it a try in replacing another 9mm, but I'd love to keep them all.

I am definitely not a dealer: I am a range-rat.
    I am definitely not selling for profit: my wife certainly is not going to buy that since she monitors the accounts, and there is no profit, only draining.
    If I have sold a gun for $25 more dollars than paid, I lost $25 on another, and holsters and cleaning kits and the rest certainly eats up the money.

I keep a list of everything I own, what the total cost is, and what the average cost per unit has been, with subcategories of avg. cost of the .22LR and avg. cost of the "other" (mostly 9mm, with a little but of .357 mixed in).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    DODDG, I have read twice now in your threads about having to sell your nice (read expensive) guns in retirement. Are you thinking you will need to sell them to pay bills, buy groceries, live?

I don't have much of a retirement and I will most likely have to work until I'm close to 70, but since my guns are paid for, I don't see that I would ever HAVE to sell them.

The way I look at it, I'm getting squared away now while I am earning a paycheck so in my retirement years, I don't have any needs as far as firearms. I only own a few firearms and that is all I want.

If you need some money, sell your low end guns and redundant firearms and keep a well thought out collection to have for the rest of your life if you have someone to leave them to.

Just my opinion. I may be missing something.

Of course, keep in mind this is coming from a minimalist.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Selling at a profit and selling FOR profit are different. And the difference lies in why you bought in the first place.

This is the line between legal and the atf having their panties in a bunch. Unfortunately, it seems this law is vague and open to subjective interpenetration. Something we should all understand is there are so many laws that most of us commit a felony regularly without knowledge of it. If you show up on the naughty list, the alphabet soup can and will find something on you. (Think al capone) If they don't know or care about you, they won't bother you for longer.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    List.
    1. I read the thread.
    2. I identity with the person.

:)::)::):

A. Now that is a perfect example of constructive criticism. :thumbsup:
    B. I actually want to do better; I just can't help myself. :dunno:
    C. One of my favorite people here tells me that he never reads beyond my #3. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I read all of this thread with interest and the posting of a site with the following:

"David enjoys hunting and has a large variety of hunting rifles. He likes to have the
    newest models with the most current features. To pay for his new rifles, a few times a
    year David sells his older weapons to fellow hunters for a profit. David does not need
    to be licensed because he is engaging in occasional sales for enhancement of his
    personal collection."

I identified with the person above.
    I buy to improve what I've got, selling what I have to get others, and/or to pay for what I have b/c money sets limitations.
    I've never bought with the intention of selling, b/c I buy "right" and hope to be able to keep it, b/c over the last 19 months I've learned that its replacement is going to cost more. (maybe in retirement I'll be forced to pare down to only the "bargain" guns and goodbye to the ones I have grown to love)

Sometimes I keep a gun for months b/c it is the best after buying/selling/shooting others (Ex.: buying the Shield 9mm after trying out several others), but decided the Sig 365 was "the one" and sold the Shield 9mm.
    Sometimes I have bought a gun, taken it to the range and sold it the next day b/c it wasn't what I expected.
    Since I usually post range pics of all my guns at the range, I would think that makes the case that I'm not buying to resell, but buying for use and pleasure.
    I must sell something I have in order to get something else (Ex.: Sold items to buy CZs last summer, and then sold 2 CZs to buy a more expensive CZ (Shadow 2) since I can't afford to own them all or keep everything I bought (would love to, though): money is the limiting factor.
    Plus, I feel the need to keep my guns in a safe, and it is a limiting factor of quantity as well.

B/C of my inexperience, I have had to go through alot of guns to get to where I'm satisfied with the guns I have, but it is a continual ongoing process.
    I have had only 2 "permanent" revolvers for CC, and only 2 "permanent" semi-autos" for CC in the past 19 months: the rest were seeing if I wanted to switch to a different revolver b/c of having a hammer or caliber or size or whatever.

Same with my .22LR revolvers: took awhile to figure out what I wanted: down to only two, and it took a few buy/sell to get there
    Really more of the same thing with the .22LR semi-autos: it has been and is continuing to be a long journey to get settled in on what is a keeper: not done there.

My range toy 9mms: continual ongoing experimenting: it will probably end with retirement, but If I could only keep what I have I'd feel good about it.
    I bought the CZ P09 recently, violating my own "prefer all-metal to polymers" just to give it a try in replacing another 9mm, but I'd love to keep them all.

I am definitely not a dealer: I am a range-rat.
    I am definitely not selling for profit: my wife certainly is not going to buy that since she monitors the accounts, and there is no profit, only draining.
    If I have sold a gun for $25 more dollars than paid, I lost $25 on another, and holsters and cleaning kits and the rest certainly eats up the money.

I keep a list of everything I own, what the total cost is, and what the average cost per unit has been, with subcategories of avg. cost of the .22LR and avg. cost of the "other" (mostly 9mm, with a little but of .357 mixed in).

This is a serious breakthrough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom