• JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm with Hohn,
    After you learn how to make a round,
    It's not a question of making 'Blasting' ammo.

Blasting ammo, surplus, import, white box, just isn't that expensive, and I personally don't expect it to be very consistent.
    It *Mostly* loads, it *Mostly* goes 'BANG', it mostly goes 'More Or Less' where it was pointed...
    And, 'Blaster' shooters don't expect anything past the 'BANG' anyway, so it 'Works' for them.
    There is also a time savings with blasting ammo, I didn't spend hours collecting supplies, setting up, cleaning brass, sizing, loading etc.

When I crank out rounds, its a LOT of work, even if it's a 'Hobby' there is considerable time involved.

Bullets that don't make the grade, brass that isn't junk, but doesn't quite make the grade for match ammo, primers & powder that didn't quite work out in a bench or match rifle, I make 'Blasting' ammo out of those.
    Not everyone weighs or sizes every bullet, not everyone rejects cases with rim gouges or dents. The guys that shoot speed guns, match guns or bench guns don't want ANY chance they will have a failure to feed, and long range accuracy shooters don't want off spec weight or out of round bullets...

When I get a pile of these I use the powder/primers that didn't work out for something else, or powder/primers off the discount rack, and load up some blasting ammo.
    The blasters that show up don't know the difference, they go through 100 rounds before they ever bother to address the sights! ;)
    With most of them, the safest place to be is in front of the target :)

I get super premium ammo, better than the $1.50 to $3 a round stuff off the shelf, and the blasters get exactly what they expected.
    The 'Blasting' components are just the cost of culling for premium, super consistent ammo, and it's otherwise waste.
    They get grins you can't slap off their faces, they are proud of hitting a 100 yard, 15" target half a dozen times with a 30 round mag, and someone that does use sights can still knock the heart out of a deer at 100 yards, so it's a win/win.

Not everyone knows how to put 5 or 10 rounds under a dime at 100 yards, or hit a 10" Target at 1,000 yards, and would get bored quickly if you tried to get them to do the testing to achieve those hits...
    They are stupid happy with hosing down things, making a lot of noise and 'Looking Cool', and I'm fine with that, no issues at all.
    If it puts a smile on their faces I'm just as happy about it as they are! Good times had by all...

--------

I'm also with the guy saying it's something to hand down!
    My dad wouldn't touch a reloading press, but my Grandpa reloaded and got me started.
    Sitting around the shop shooting the bull with Grandpa, cranking out some reloads, Grandpa treating me like an adult & equal when I cranked out perfectly acceptable rounds...
    Those are fond memories for me, and the mechanical skills I gained, with reloading and other projects, have served me well my entire life.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I found my deal. Ended up with a preowned but never used Dillon 550c that came with Lee 45 acp dies. Paid $350. I bought a Hornady manual, used digital scale, primer tray,tumbler with separator, lube, 500 coated bullets, 1000 primers, and a jar of power for another $325. I have what I need to get started.

Thats the best way to get started... We picked up both our Horn APs used. 1st one- the guy needed the dough. Barely used, 223, 9mm, 45acp dies, accessories, etc. 2nd, the guy was moving due to a new job. Didn't want to take his reloading rig. Dies, accessories, etc. again. These both included various powders, primers, etc. Now we have extra dies, dual tumblers, scales, etc.

Welcome to the club, Brother.

And BTW, you're not going to save any $, its a myth... you'll just shoot more... :yesway:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The Chicken or the Egg???

The question for me is=Do I load so I can shoot more-Or-Do I shoot so that I can load more??

For ME, that's a tough one...HA. HA....Bill.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    The question for me is=Do I load so I can shoot more-Or-Do I shoot so that I can load more??

For ME, that's a tough one...HA. HA....Bill.

My stepson got me in trouble with this one. I told him we needed to get to the range and shoot so I could make up more bullets. He later told my wife what I said! I told her that it could be worse. Rather than reloading in the basement of our house, I could be hanging out at the bars!!

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I am new to this forum, but, not new to reloading.
    I don't reload, simply to save money.
    I do, but, the main reason I reload is so that, in an ammo shortage, or a time when alot is needed for whatever reason, I can produce my own in quantities that allow me to defend myself, and my family, if needed.
    I don't stockpile alot of ammo, but, I do have the components to produce several thousand rounds of the calibers I need, and use.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    so true
    i can thing of a lot "worse" things to sped money on...

i eat, sleep (sometimes) work, poop and shoot USPSA and steel competitions.

:cheers:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Been there....

My stepson got me in trouble with this one. I told him we needed to get to the range and shoot so I could make up more bullets. He later told my wife what I said! I told her that it could be worse. Rather than reloading in the basement of our house, I could be hanging out at the bars!!

Rather than reloading in the basement of our house, I could be hanging out at the bars!!
    ^^^I CAN tell you that the basement hobby will keep the Wife A LOT Happier...Bill..

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Cost Of Reloading?

How much can you beg, borrow or steal?

Some of us have 'Issues'...
    There should be a 'Reloaders Anonymous',

"Hi, My name is Aaron, and I'm a Reloading Addict"...

Because of Reloading I don't have money for drugs or alcohol problems. ;)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Cost Of Reloading?

How much can you beg, borrow or steal?

Some of us have 'Issues'...
    There should be a 'Reloaders Anonymous',

"Hi, My name is Aaron, and I'm a Reloading Addict"...

Because of Reloading I don't have money for drugs or alcohol problems. ;)

Yep, check below my screen name..Been there for awhile...Bill.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    The exact savings depend entirely on what assumptions you make. Not just what caliber, but what bullet?

For example, I can buy Geco .223 locally for 34 cents a round. I can load .223 with 13 cents for the primed case, 12 cents worth of powder and a cheap 8 cent bullet. In other words, 33 cents a round with bunch of effort, vs 34 cents a round. It is worth a LOT of time to save a penny a round for plinking ammo?

Now, my cost is the same 14 cent primed case, a little less powder (12 cents) and a premium bullet that might be up to 35 cents. (Sierra, Berger). Now I'm paying about 50 cents a round. But I'm saving at least 70 cents a round, maybe more. Is that worth my time? HECK YES.

.223 and 9mm in particular are most likely to present you with situation where you cannot compete with the massive economies of scale. More 9mm rounds are produced every year than any other caliber. .223 is also an incredibly high volume cartridge. It's almost impossible to load a clone of any Lake City load for less than Lake City can do it. You simply can't get brass, bullets, or powder cheaper than they can.

Can you load ammo cheaper than buying some in 9mm or .223? Yes, but it will almost always be cast bullets and cases you've had on hand forever.

I load 9mm for the cost of a 10 cent bullet, a 3 cent case, a 3 cent primer and 2 cents worth of powder. In other words, it's 18 cents even USED cases.

Or I can buy a box of 50 rounds for $8.99, which happens to be 18 cents/rd with new brass and factory made. Worth the hassle of reloading to save no money at all? NOPE.

However.

I can spit out premium JHP handloads with Starline brass for 36 cents for the case, 3 cents for primer, 2 cents of powder and a 20 cent Gold dot. That's 61 cents a round for a premium JHP you'd pay well over a dollar for. Does it makes sense to handload JHPs instead of buying? ABSOLUTELY.

I agree with you... I have been reloading for decades... And some stuff is not worth my time. 44mag, some rifle calibers, or special rounds (subsonic) are worth it. Cost wise or just things that you cannot find already loaded.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Reloading is a hobby and you have to view it as such. However, you can save money. This allows you to shoot more for the same dollar.

LetÂ’s say you jump in with both feet and buy some nice (blue) stuff. ThereÂ’s a $1000 outlay.

For this example IÂ’ll use 223 and 45acp because itÂ’s what I know. Going off of ammoseekÂ’s cheapest brass cased stuff today, I can save $0.07/round ($0.16 vs. $0.23) on 223 and $0.075/round ($0.15 vs. $0.225) on 45acp. Getting deals can drive the prices down further, but I feel those are realistic numbers.

I figure to break even, you’d need to load about 7100 rounds of 223 and 6600 rounds of 45acp. Add in 9mm ($), 357 ($$), and 308 “match” ammo ($$$) and you break even more quickly.

Using the same method of figuring, youÂ’d need to load 20,000 rounds of just 9mm to break even. ThatÂ’s 10 lifetimes for some and 1 season for others.

So is reloading worth the cost? I think so. ItÂ’s a rewarding hobby.

Sorry for the novel, but I hate to see people dismiss reloading because “you’ll never break even”

I agree with you also. Break even?? Yes, but how much do you shoot?? If you shoot less than 500 rounds a year it will take a lifetime to hit the break even point. If you shoot several k a year it will pay off much sooner. You are asking the question in a reloading forum... Haha. The other things to ask. Do you want or need another hobby?? Do you have a place to set up a press? Do you have a place so you do not get distracted and double charge a case? or with autos an empty or partial case can be just as bad.

One thing not mentioned are people counting the local retail store cost? The local stores here have powder at $200 for 8lbs. I think primers were about $40 a k. Or the cheaper mail order with shipping and haz mat included?? It comes out a lot cheaper if you are buying 20lbs of powder at a time. Or 10k of primers.

Now for the .458 Socom. Reloading makes sense. Factory is a couple bucks a round.

I guess I am a realist, not one always looking for rainbows. See what you can buy components for and get on ammo seek and see what the best deals are.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Buying components in bulk allows me to reload 9mm at about $5.50-6.00/box 50. I also reload for .357, .44mag, .38 spcl and cost saving are very substantial especially when I’ve seen .44 mag at about $45/box 50. I also reload at least 6 center fire rifle calibers and save big in the same manner. Plus reloading is therapy and fun. Peace.Out!

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i figure reloading is just a small part of shooting competitions.

reload
    shoot match
    scavenge brass
    sort brass
    clean brass
    reload again

seems like ive been doing it forever...
    :cheers:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I agree with you... I have been reloading for decades... And some stuff is not worth my time. 44mag, some rifle calibers, or special rounds (subsonic) are worth it. Cost wise or just things that you cannot find already loaded.

The flip side is if you are shooting a larger rifle caliber. Back when I first looked a breakeven points for reloads, I could pay for $500 worth of reloading gear in less than 100rds if I was loading .338LM.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I shoot a lot of 9mm, .40 and .45. By casting and powdercoating my own projectiles I can load those three for $0.05/round for 9mm, $0.055/round for .40 and $0.06/round for .45.

For a lot of people casting a powdercoating is too much trouble, but I find it to be rather fun and relaxing to do. I scour eBay for cheap lead and pick it up when I find a good deal. I currently have about 300lbs of lead in inventory. So I can produce ~11,000 projectiles of whatever type I choose.

I have not yet run the costs on .38 and .357 but the cost savings there would be significant also. Plus, the .357 you buy is mostly not "real magnum loads" unless you are buying from the really expensive suppliers like Buffalo Bore and such. Shooting a real .357 Magnum loaded with H110/W296 or Alliant 2400 is significantly different than most of the off the shelf .357 offerings. Those feel more like a .38 Special +P compared to what I reload.

That, plus reloading is a very complimentary hobby to shooting. When I first thought of reloading I asked a friend who had been reloading for years about it. He told me that reloading becomes its own thing in and of itself. I told him that for me it would solely be a way to save money. I was completely wrong. Now I have just as much fun reloading. One hobby feeds the other. I reload so that I can shoot, and I shoot so that I can reload. I love trying new loads out at the range.

All that being said, it can snowball quickly. Less than a year ago I traded some work for a Lee single-stage kit. Now all of that equipment is boxed up and I have a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP progressive for bulk ammo and a Lyman turret for load development, along with a multitude of powder measures including the new Intellidropper for easier OCW testing. I also started out by working up spreadsheets to figure out the cheapest load I could. Now I am experimenting around to find the best overall loads that aren't necessarily the cheapest.

In theory you *could* save money by reloading. In practice, most people just end up with another hobby.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Loaded and tested my first batch of 50 rounds today. 124 grain tc hitek coated. All fed well but a little Smokey and left my gun dirty.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I shoot about 200 rounds each week of 9mm. I also shoot a few boxes per month of .45 ACP. Based on the cheapest, satisfactory, factory ammo I can find; I figure that I am saving significantly more than $600 per year. That pays for my range membership and allows me to invest the rest in reloading components.

Top Bottom