• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlVine

Marksman
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Does anyone make a good conversion cylinder for a 2nd gen Colt 1860 Army? I read that Uberti made these for Colt, is that accurate? Thanks.

AlVine

Marksman
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Those look good (expensive though!) but I don't know which to order, Pietta or Uberti. Just go by cylinder length?

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    2nd gen Colts were rough parts from Uberti milled and finished for Colt so order a conversion cylinder for Uberti. I don't think there is much if any difference between Kirst (Think Taylor's sales) or Howell. You may or may not need it timed. You can find used open tops about as cheap as doing the complet conversion. If you are just doing the cylinder that is cheaper.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have read the 44 conversions to 45 are more accurate than the 36 converted to 38 due to the bore size being closer for BP and cartridge. I just don't know what gun to get one for, the 1851 in .38 or the 1858 in .45. I reload for both.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have read the 44 conversions to 45 are more accurate than the 36 converted to 38 due to the bore size being closer for BP and cartridge. I just don't know what gun to get one for, the 1851 in .38 or the 1858 in .45. I reload for both.
    You can get around the bore size problem in the 38 by loading HBWC bullets and fast or black power. I shoot these in my origional conversions most of the time as they are easier to make than heeled cartridges.

AlVine

Marksman
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    2nd gen Colts were rough parts from Uberti milled and finished for Colt so order a conversion cylinder for Uberti. I don't think there is much if any difference between Kirst (Think Taylor's sales) or Howell. You may or may not need it timed. You can find used open tops about as cheap as doing the complet conversion. If you are just doing the cylinder that is cheaper.
    Just the cylinder is already more than I paid for the revolver! That's OK though. Thanks for the conformation it's Uberti.

Top Bottom