• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What are the noticable differerences between the RMR and Holosun? Other than the price, of course.

The thing that I didn’t like about the Holosun was that it set the brightness on ambient light hitting the top sensor instead of through the window. That washed the reticle out when looking at a bright target from a dark location. It’s easy to adjust the brightness but in a fast moving shooting situation, could possibly complicate things. That, and its larger profile put me off on them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That, and its larger profile put me off on them.
    Same here. This was what I meant about my "shape" item. I like the contour of the RMR better. I think it's less obtrusive and will probably be more protective. Plus it looks better, especially without all the branding the Holosun's have. :)

So, for those of you considering one over the other, depending on mindset and use, the Holosun would be fine. Basic performance is there and if you treat your firearm with a little respect it should be robust enough. Aaron Cowen from Sage Dynamics gave it a decent review. In the end he is a RMR guy, but acknowledges that the Holosun products could be considered for use.

There is the "buy once, cry once" school of thought but with the rapid advancements in technology, a case can be made to purchase lower priced items and upgrade as the technology increases. That ends up being more costly, so I tend not to do that, but I also don't buy cars every 3-4 years.

On a side note, if I don't find another use for my HS407C, I'll be listing it for sale. That would be a way to dip your toes into the red dot world with a little less outlay initially. Plus, they have the same footprint as the RMR so if you would change your mind, you wouldn't have to change your slide.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Same here. This was what I meant about my "shape" item. I like the contour of the RMR better. I think it's less obtrusive and will probably be more protective. Plus it looks better, especially without all the branding the Holosun's have. :)

So, for those of you considering one over the other, depending on mindset and use, the Holosun would be fine. Basic performance is there and if you treat your firearm with a little respect it should be robust enough. Aaron Cowen from Sage Dynamics gave it a decent review. In the end he is a RMR guy, but acknowledges that the Holosun products could be considered for use.

There is the "buy once, cry once" school of thought but with the rapid advancements in technology, a case can be made to purchase lower priced items and upgrade as the technology increases. That ends up being more costly, so I tend not to do that, but I also don't buy cars every 3-4 years.

On a side note, if I don't find another use for my HS407C, I'll be listing it for sale. That would be a way to dip your toes into the red dot world with a little less outlay initially. Plus, they have the same footprint as the RMR so if you would change your mind, you wouldn't have to change your slide.

The fact that the Holosun had the same footprint as the RMR is why I decided to try one. It’s a decent sight but when compared to my RMR, I decided to stay with the RMRs.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I tried a reflex sight on my CZ P10F and found that it was very accurate but I was to slow finding the target with it. After years of iron sight shooting that is still the fastest for me and I'm accurate enough for self defense. Now on my hunting pistols and revolvers I believe a reflex sight would be the way to go. It has made a big difference hunting with my 10mm. Thinking about adding one to my Taurus Model 44 that has served me for 28 years without a problem.
    I had the same experience, I took a red dot class recently and it helped me to understand why I was struggling to pick up the sight quickly.

Apparently, with iron sights, we kind of cheat to see the front sight quicker and present the gun on our draw, kind of barrel up. Doing that with a red dot sight means you don't see the dot at all.

In 1 class, I was able to dramatically improve my speed with which I pick up the dot. That should carry over to improve my iron sight presentation as well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had the same experience, I took a red dot class recently and it helped me to understand why I was struggling to pick up the sight quickly.

Apparently, with iron sights, we kind of cheat to see the front sight quicker and present the gun on our draw, kind of barrel up. Doing that with a red dot sight means you don't see the dot at all.

In 1 class, I was able to dramatically improve my speed with which I pick up the dot. That should carry over to improve my iron sight presentation as well.
    That would be what I'd need some insight on what I'm doing wrong. Problems is im hard hearing to put it mildly. Learning is sight only hearing is out of the question now days.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That would be what I'd need some insight on what I'm doing wrong. Problems is im hard hearing to put it mildly. Learning is sight only hearing is out of the question now days.
    I haven't shot a reflex sight, but i use to shoot an 8 shot revolver for steel with a red dot. The thing that helped me speed up was learning not to track the dot during recoil, it took me awhile to even realize i was doing it. I just kept eyes on or moving to target and let the dot come into picture. Having a pistol that you point naturally would help also. That was my experience atleast.

Top Bottom