• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My primary range pistol has a red dot on it. I am learning how to shoot it. I went this route because my eyes have deteriorated that with iron sights, the rear sight, front sight and target to an extent are all out of focus.

I am getting better with the red dot. However, I am also getting better with my carry gun which has irons. Though the sights are blurry, I do okay.

I don't want to get into corrective lens since I wouldn't be wearing those in daily life and I spent several years working that angle, lol. It didn't work.

I was set to put a red dot on my carry gun, but if I do, it's permanent and I lose the rear dovetail. I have options: buy another slide and set it up with a red dot. Or make the commitment and cut my slide.

Either way i am looking at investing $550-$750 in this pistol and that is a lot of money to me. If my skills were in the toilet, it would be easier to pull the trigger. But the fact that I'm improving using the irons on that gun along with the red dot on my range gun, I'm hesitant.

I'm interested in input from our family here.

Also, if I stick with irons, I think I could get a better set. Currently I'm running a rather skinny Dawson FO sight. Any suggestions on a better iron sight would also be appreciated. I'm looking at Ameriglo Hackathorns.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Have you considered a laser, like a Crimson Trace? The green ones are more visible than the red. I have been working with a Sig Romeo Pro on one of my pistols. Quick acquisition of the dot vs. iron sights is no contest. The iron sights win.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Only you know your eyes...no-one but you can answer that accurately.
    I don't know what pistol you are using, but " lose the rear dovetail" isn't necessarily a given.
    Glock mos allows the option of co-witnessing sights with a dot/ "supressor" combo.
    DC machine can cut many brands of slides and put the rear dovetail in front of your dot. Options are out there.
    My 2 cents? If you got eye trouble, go with what you can use best right now. Carry the caliber you shoot best, carry best, with sights on it you shoot best.
    If your eyes keep deteriorating you're probably headed for something other than irons sometime; might as well start sooner than later...
    Ymmv

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I run the Hackathorn's on all of my pistols. Suppressor hight sights presently, running a dot also.

The big orange dot on the front are all I can see through the blur of middle-aged focus. The dot really seems promising, it hovers just over the top of the I-Dot Pro.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Depends on your specific vision problem, but I have the typical middle-age focus issues and find that I can see my Trijicon HD sights the best out of the different types of pistol sights that I have. Big yellow dot up front. Still a little fuzzy, but could make good hits at self defense range if needed.

Can't advise on a red dot, I've tried them and don't care for electronics on a pistol. I've tried lasers before and would have a laser on my pistol before I'd choose a red dot. Bonus with a laser is that you don't have to align the sights to make accurate hits. It also puts all of your focus on the target itself, which may help. Crimson Trace with automatic activation when you grip the gun would be my choice. I'd go with a green laser, it's more visible in the daytime.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am with Route 45, at least for a carry gun. I am middle age and have a stigmatism. Probably because it's what I am used to but also less to fail on a carry gun. I also have the Trijicon HD sights and they work well for me. I also prefer lazers. I have one on my Beretta 92 that replaced the guide rod. That might be an option. That way you can also use the rail for a light if you wish. I don't know if such a rod is available on yours.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't have a rail on that pistol so the only light I could add would be one of those that wraps around the trigger guard. I haven't really thought about a laser. It would be less money than a dot, that's for sure.

Like R45 says, target focus is where I'm at on my red dot equipped pistol so I'm getting used to that so maybe I'll look into lasers.

The Trijicon's look good. If I go with irons, I'll probably go with the Hackathorns. I like the all black rear sight and the $45 savings.

I'm not concerned with a red dot failing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I have had very good luck with TruGlo TFO fiber optics on my Shield (and others). Bright in daylight or indoor lighting and night sights as well. Never been a fan of red dots on pistols but think my next EDC will have the option for future use if eyes need little help later on.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't have a rail on that pistol so the only light I could add would be one of those that wraps around the trigger guard. I haven't really thought about a laser. It would be less money than a dot, that's for sure.

Like R45 says, target focus is where I'm at on my red dot equipped pistol so I'm getting used to that so maybe I'll look into lasers.

The Trijicon's look good. If I go with irons, I'll probably go with the Hackathorns. I like the all black rear sight and the $45 savings.

If I may ask. If you're not concerned with the red dot failing what is the concern with losing the rear dovetail? Is it because you won't be able to return it to irons if you decide reflex sights aren't going to work?
    Which sight are you looking into?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve gone back and forth regarding the red dots on pistols. Right now, I’m back down to only 1 red dot equipped gun and it’s been sitting in the safe for about 6 months. When I shoot them, I love them but admit that I’m faster with irons. Not that I’m fast at all, mind you.

I didn’t make a conscious decision to move away from red dots. I’ve been moving away from poly guns and back into steel or aluminum framed pistols. Last fall, I moved my carry setup over to Sigs and have been carrying a .40 P229 Legion pretty much every day since November. In December, I bought a complete slide assembly with the intention of having it cut for a red dot but have not had that done yet.

I don’t have much guidance to offer other than being able to attest to a good set of irons still being a solid choice in the age of red dots.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

If I may ask. If you're not concerned with the red dot failing what is the concern with losing the rear dovetail? Is it because you won't be able to return it to irons if you decide reflex sights aren't going to work?
    Which sight are you looking into?
    Jaybird, you are correct. It is if I ever want to go back to factory. My 2.0 Compact has the slide milled with a new dovetail cut in the back for a Glock sight. If I ever want to return to irons, DP makes a cover plate I can screw on where the dot resides and I can go back to using irons, easy, peasy.

I am looking at the Ameriglo Hackathorns. I had the CAP sights on my last Shield and I'm not sure why I went with Dawsons when I got this new one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve gone back and forth regarding the red dots on pistols. Right now, I’m back down to only 1 red dot equipped gun and it’s been sitting in the safe for about 6 months. When I shoot them, I love them but admit that I’m faster with irons. Not that I’m fast at all, mind you.

I didn’t make a conscious decision to move away from red dots. I’ve been moving away from poly guns and back into steel or aluminum framed pistols. Last fall, I moved my carry setup over to Sigs and have been carrying a .40 P229 Legion pretty much every day since November. In December, I bought a complete slide assembly with the intention of having it cut for a red dot but have not had that done yet.

I don’t have much guidance to offer other than being able to attest to a good set of irons still being a solid choice in the age of red dots.
    It is really all about the money for me. I can buy a second slide, $225, have it milled, $125, put a red dot on it, $400 and then have both options. But spending $750 when I am currently shooting it okay makes my wallet creak when I try to open it.

I'm keeping a log on my live fire training and on some days I'm quicker with the irons, but on days when I am dialed in, I'm quicker with the dot. I know once I get enough reps in on the dot, it will be faster with better accuracy.

I only have the one red dot so if I would decide that I can shoot in a blurry world, I'm not out much. If I set this second one up, now I am 4 figures deep into red dots.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Jaybird, you are correct. It is if I ever want to go back to factory. My 2.0 Compact has the slide milled with a new dovetail cut in the back for a Glock sight. If I ever want to return to irons, DP makes a cover plate I can screw on where the dot resides and I can go back to using irons, easy, peasy.

I am looking at the Ameriglo Hackathorns. I had the CAP sights on my last Shield and I'm not sure why I went with Dawsons when I got this new one.
    I would suggest getting a new slide and have it milled for reflex. Should be easy enough to sell to recoup some $$ if you decide against it.
    As far as irons I do prefer a more pronounced front site, like the Hackathorns and a plain rear. Actually I have XS on mine, only because I did it before Hackathorns existed and stuck with them

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    . Quick acquisition of the dot vs. iron sights is no contest. The iron sights win.
    I would suggest getting a new slide and have it milled for reflex. Should be easy enough to sell to recoup some $$ if you decide against it.
    As far as irons I do prefer a more pronounced front site, like the Hackathorns and a plain rear. Actually I have XS on mine, only because I did it before Hackathorns existed and stuck with them
    I think I'll start with Hackathorns and keep working the pistol alongside my red dot equipped one. If I see my skills deteriorate with the irons, I'll make the move. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out for a replacement slide on the cheap. I don't have to make a full decision right now and I'm willing to spend the $74 on the Hackathorns to see how I do.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Just out of curiosity, Does a small reflex sight with a built in rear sight exist.
    I have actually been thinking about a reflex for my 19 but would probably want to be able to setup the 43 the same.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just out of curiosity, Does a small reflex sight with a built in rear sight exist.
    I have actually been thinking about a reflex for my 19 but would probably want to be able to setup the 43 the same.
    The Holosun HS507K has a built in rear notch.

But for a 19 you could fit the HS507C but it does not have a rear notch. I had a HS407C on my Compact but switched to a Trijicon RMR recently. My Compact is the same size as your 19. The "K" model is what you need for your 43.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Holosun HS507K has a built in rear notch.

The 19 is my primary, I very rarely carry the 43. Have even contemplated selling it.
    Maybe I should sell it and use that $ to mill the 19
    Even though I don't own one, I think the 19 is the quintessential handgun. It does everything well. I went S&W or I would have a 19. I had plans to carry my compact which is virtually identical to the 19 but I couldn't conceal it well enough for me. My plan was to get up to speed on the compact, and use it as my "do all" pistol. It almost worked. I use it for everything except conceal carry. If it would have worked out, I would have still kept my Shield, but used it for a different purpose.

If you do have it milled, AllenM here on INGO is a great option. He will do it right.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I actually prefer S&W ergonomics, my buddy shoots the M&P platform.
    I'm just to vested to jump to another platform, i much prefer the shield over the 43. Haven't tried any of the other single stack glocks yet

Top Bottom