• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been looking into a controlled round feeding bolt action. The more and more I look into things in Alaska, the more I like the idea. I'm not sure who all is making a controlled round feeding rifle outside of the Winchester model 70, or a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Are there others that I'm not aware of? I know Remington, Savage, Tikka, Bergara are not and those are the models I'm most used to looking at.

If anyone is aware of other controlled round feeding rifles I'd love to hear about it, or if there's and even better option that'd be great to learn about too.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Not being up on feeding in bolts, is what you are talking about the Mauser type action? Can i ask why this is important to you?...Not trolling, curious..

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Not being up on feeding in bolts, is what you are talking about the Mauser type action? Can i ask why this is important to you?...Not trolling, curious..
    What really got me thinking about it was calling guides in Alaska about different hunts, travel ideas, adventures and things where you're going to get wet, muddy, dirty etc and have a likelihood of needing to take a shot that matters under some nasty conditions. I must have gotten ahold of this one old timer in particular on just the right day when he had time and stories to share because he talked my ear off for an hour. He was Winchester 70 man, and he'd mentioned seeing problems with about every other kind of manufacturer out there when reloading under stress for follow up shots on bears or other big critters. In all my years of shooting bolt actions I've never had a controlled round feed gun so it just got my curious was all. I don't think non controlled round feed guns are a danger to the end user, but I think under some harsh conditions the controlled round feed makes some sense.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Mouser type action/CRF lifts the round and the extractor holds it against the bolt face as soon as it's released from the magazine. You can cycle the action with the gun upside down and the round won't fall out. A standard action pushes the round forward and only gravity holts it in position for a short time before the bolt pushes it into the chamber, if you cycle it with the gun far enough from upright, the round can fall out. The thought is in "heated" situations, it's just a little more reliable.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Mouser type action/CRF lifts the round and the extractor holds it against the bolt face as soon as it's released from the magazine. You can cycle the action with the gun upside down and the round won't fall out. A standard action pushes the round forward and only gravity holts it in position for a short time before the bolt pushes it into the chamber, if you cycle it with the gun far enough from upright, the round can fall out. The thought is in "heated" situations, it's just a little more reliable.
    Much better explanation than what I typed up. :)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Kimber rifles are are also controlled round feed. So are Montana rifles if you can fine one used. Not all Model 70's are controlled round feed though. Pre-64 ones are and more modern ones are as well but there was a long time in between when Model 70's were push feed.

The part about not being able to work a push feed upside down, like many things in the realm of firearms, is more myth than reality. Actual testing has shown that properly built push feeds will cycle upside down. It is easier to double feed a PF if you don't fully seat the bolt but it is easier to short stroke a controlled round feed, especially with heavy recoiling rifles.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    That's right, the Mauser has the claw extractor that controls the round as it chambers....I forgot my nomenclature.......My savage is push feed, I believe....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well you could.... always buy a Mauser.

I've never looked at their website, but wow those look like museum works of art. If I get a controlled round feeding rifle it'll likely get used for rough and tough back country hunts and I don't think I could do what I'm thinking about to one of those beautiful rifles.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've never looked at their website, but wow those look like museum works of art. If I get a controlled round feeding rifle it'll likely get used for rough and tough back country hunts and I don't think I could do what I'm thinking about to one of those beautiful rifles.
    Well some of the Mauser18s are pretty rugged

Mauser_M18_US-Camo-1_rechts_gesamt_RGB_1920x1920.png

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well some of the Mauser18s are pretty rugged

Mauser_M18_US-Camo-1_rechts_gesamt_RGB_1920x1920.png
    I didn't see that one, and it does look rugged.

In a perfect world, I'd really like to get something with a threaded barrel. Recently I bought a E.C. Tuner brake, and when I saw what that can do for a rifles accuracy I'm sold on tuners for the foreseeable future. It just takes quality ammo that may or may not shoot well in a gun and makes it absolutely shoot better.

The one that keep crossing my mind is Ruger Hawkeye Hunter in 300 win mag. I figure that rifle looks like it could handle anything I'd ever throw it in the wilderness. My only concern would be that nice looking wood stock and swapping it out with some type of HS Precision or other brand synthetic stock so long as it's built solid. I just have a hard time thinking of a nice wood stock out in the rain for days. My only grip would be it's an 8# gun and I'm sure half way up a hill I'd wish it was 6# or 7# for just the rifle.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

In a perfect world, I'd really like to get something with a threaded barrel. Recently I bought a E.C. Tuner brake, and when I saw what that can do for a rifles accuracy I'm sold on tuners for the foreseeable future. It just takes quality ammo that may or may not shoot well in a gun and makes it absolutely shoot better.

The one that keep crossing my mind is Ruger Hawkeye Hunter in 300 win mag. I figure that rifle looks like it could handle anything I'd ever throw it in the wilderness. My only concern would be that nice looking wood stock and swapping it out with some type of HS Precision or other brand synthetic stock so long as it's built solid. I just have a hard time thinking of a nice wood stock out in the rain for days. My only grip would be it's an 8# gun and I'm sure half way up a hill I'd wish it was 6# or 7# for just the rifle.

The mauser 18 USMC has a threaded barrel, even though the picture doesn't do a good job of showing it.

1681226332182.png

Heck I may get one.. because its a dang Mauser. And who wouldn't want the original, so to speak.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Ruger makes solid rifles, definitely on the heavy side and not the smoothest feeding CRF rifles on the market but quality nonetheless. IIRC, the Alaskan has a synthetic stock and the guide gun has a laminate stock along with a shorter, handier barrel. Both are threaded.

As much as I am a fan of CRF rifles, I'm not sure buying one due to a vague concern over pretty far fetched feeding concerns makes a lot of sense though. If I wanted an excuse to buy a new rifle, one that guaranteed faster follow up shots like the Savage Impulse, would be far more appealing and likely much more useful than a CRF. The Mountain Hunter, though pricey, seems to have the features you're looking for. Re-barreling a Big Game Hunter to a lighter profile barrel would get the weight down as well and be considerably cheaper too, not to mention opening up a whole array of calibers.

IMO, another good choice for a new rifle that isn't CRF is the Sako S20. The Hunter model has a semi-chassis adjustable polymer stock, comes in right around 7 lbs. with a threaded and fluted barrel, and an outstanding factory trigger. If you do a little shopping around you can find them for under $1200, making it one of the best buys currently on the market.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

If anyone is aware of other controlled round feeding rifles I'd love to hear about it, or if there's and even better option that'd be great to learn about too.

The CZ 550 might qualify. They're getting expensive though. Here's one reasonably priced, relatively, in 7mm magnum. You could have the barrel shortened and threaded. I wouldn't call it a lightweight though!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I get that the CRF isn't really the most critical feature in the world for 99% of hunting out there. What really appealing to me about it is that if I start doing more remote hunts in deeper wilderness areas especially Alaska. A buddy and I were dangerously close to doing a DIY Alaskan moose hunt this year. I've gone to sleep on an Alaskan ridge/small mountain looking at snowless mountains only to spent the night thinking my tent would be shredded any moment and waking up to a snowy wonderland. I can name a few of times like that, but the appeal of a CRF rifle for me is really for those types of remote wilderness types of hunts, where there's no going back to a shelter that night.

I definitely like the look and feel of the hogue stocks like the Ruger Alaskan, but I also know how flexible they can be and that can throw off a long shot. I'm not planning to shoot a critter at a half a mile, but with a hunting gun with hunting accuracy I want to stack all the odds in my favor that I can out to 500 or 600 yards absolute max. I've never had a laminate stock like the guide model and while I've heard great things I think the weight of it would make me pass.

"If" I were to buy the Ruger Hunter Hawkeye in 300wm I would likely chose this stock if I ended up replacing the stock at all. https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-precisionr-pro-series-2000-sporter-stocks-rugerr-77-mark-iitm.html For the caliber I'm thinking of like the 300wm I don't think I want to go too light on the rifle. I'm positive I'll hate every ounce of the gun going up and down hills, but when it's time to take the shot I'll be glad I have an extra pound or two.

Ultimately, it's just something fun to think about now because I don't have that kind of hunt planned for this year, but next year it's a very likely possibility. To be ready for that means I should be getting the gun dialed in this year so I'm familiar with it and have all the bugs worked out before.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    A reliable rifle is definitely important, but I don’t think you need CRF to get there.

When you talk about backwoods DIY hunting, personally my priority is on weight and accuracy, above a CRF action. I shoot a Fierce Rival which is an Rem700 clone and would bet my life on that gun chambering the next round.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Kimber rifles are are also controlled round feed. So are Montana rifles if you can fine one used. Not all Model 70's are controlled round feed though. Pre-64 ones are and more modern ones are as well but there was a long time in between when Model 70's were push feed.

The part about not being able to work a push feed upside down, like many things in the realm of firearms, is more myth than reality. Actual testing has shown that properly built push feeds will cycle upside down. It is easier to double feed a PF if you don't fully seat the bolt but it is easier to short stroke a controlled round feed, especially with heavy recoiling rifles.
    I can see that. I've never tried.
    I imagine there's as much variation between makers as there is between styles.

Top Bottom