• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Just had a gentleman post on another board that he had conversed with an IN DNR agent who had then talked to the IN State Police in Indianapolis.

He contends that he was told that IN only recognizes OOS licenses to carry when they are held by residents of that state. In other words, he is saying that I, as a resident of IL, can't carry in IN on a PA, FL, NH, UT or any other non IN license because I'm not a resident of those states.

As I read IN statutes, and as explained by every "gunlaw" board on the internet, IN recognizes any OOS license, regardless of the holders' state of residence.

Have I missed something here?? Is your law sometimes mis-interpreted by your State Police?? I know ours is, but then you'd expect that from IL!!!!

Any clarification would be appreciated!!

AB

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Thanks Quicksdraw, I too had looked at the Statutes, I don't see anything that says you must be a resident of the state that issued the license.

This fellow also maintains that OOS can't bring a handgun into IN for the purpose of shooting targets or any other reason. If caught with a handgun in a vehicle, even unloaded, cased, and not easily accessible, the OOS will be thrown in jail and guns and vehicle confiscated.

I'm thinking he either got ahold of a very aggressive State Trooper, or he lost something in the translation.

I'd welcome any other comments. I also admire you Hoosiers and your "common sense gunlaws", and LTC for 73 years. And to think I was born and raised just 13 miles west of Paradise!!!

AB

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This fellow also maintains that OOS can't bring a handgun into IN for the purpose of shooting targets or any other reason. If caught with a handgun in a vehicle, even unloaded, cased, and not easily accessible, the OOS will be thrown in jail and guns and vehicle confiscated.

Thrown in jail for what? Not only does Indiana have a provision for unlicensed transport, there's also that pesky Peaceable Journey law.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Weird. IN recognizes licenses from all other states. I wonder if someone got confused by this paragraph from the Firearms FAQ:

"Note: Illinois issues a Firearms Owners Identification (FOI) card. This card relates to the purchasing of firearms, not a permit to routinely carry a handgun and is therefore is not honored as such in Indiana."

Perhaps someone was trying to use an FOI as a carry permit? Or perhaps someone at the state thought someone was trying to. The state guy who they talked with might not even know that FL, UT, etc. have non-resident permits. If you can produce a carry permit from any state, I think you are good to go.​

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    OFF TOPIC

Abolt. I registered over at illinoiscarry and am having problems with my account. I signed up as INGO and tried contacting the admin with no luck. Would you mid asking someone over there to look into this for me. I think I clicked that I was under 13 or something but can't get any response over there.

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Thanks for all the replys guys, I knew that I was correct on the law, just wanted to confirm it.

Fenway, I'll contact the site owner as soon as I get back over there. Be advised, the site is undergoing a bunch of upgrade and we're experiencing a few technical difficulties. I assume that you're NOT under 13???

I'd like to invite anyone else to slip over and see what we're all about. Heck, we'll even let you call our legislators when they get ready to do something really stupid!!! We're getting lots of practice at that!!!

AB

Edited to add: Fenway, I dropped a note to Blaster over at IllinoisCarry. He's the guy over there that "pays the bills". Either he or I one will contact you with something.

AB

Last edited:

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    Weird. IN recognizes licenses from all other states. I wonder if someone got confused by this paragraph from the Firearms FAQ:

"Note: Illinois issues a Firearms Owners Identification (FOI) card. This card relates to the purchasing of firearms, not a permit to routinely carry a handgun and is therefore is not honored as such in Indiana."

Perhaps someone was trying to use an FOI as a carry permit? Or perhaps someone at the state thought someone was trying to. The state guy who they talked with might not even know that FL, UT, etc. have non-resident permits. If you can produce a carry permit from any state, I think you are good to go.

You certain Indiana recognizes permits from ALL other states? I`d need to research that, but my first instinct is that, that`s a mistake. I don`t believe we honor carry permits from EVERY state.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You certain Indiana recognizes permits from ALL other states? I`d need to research that, but my first instinct is that, that`s a mistake. I don`t believe we honor carry permits from EVERY state.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Then your belief is wrong. Not only are licenses and permits from all other states valid in Indiana, those from foreign countries are valid as well.

IC 35-47-2-21Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale. (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I wonder if perhaps the person meant that an OOS resident cannot easily get an IN LTC and cannot get a Lifetime LTC at all?

By the way, USPc40, thanks for the plug for CarryConcealed. I update the map info there about every month or so. Now if we can just get our web guys to cooperate and fix the URLs on the legal pages and the display of our maps...

Blessings,
    B

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yes, Indiana honors the license to carry of EVERY state and EVERY foreign country.

Texas may not, and everyone here knows Kirk First Law, but Indiana does recognize EVERY state--no matter what the Indiana State Police think.

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    (emphasis added)

:lmfao:

Sometimes?:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

There is a deliberate misinformation program by the ILEA and ISP in order to harrass gun owners. We fight it though.:)

As a motorcycle rider who uses a "Headlight Modulator" for better visibility to those folks who think that the primary purpose for an automobile is to give them an opportunity to yack on their cell phones, I carry a printed copy of the law that states that said modulators are legal in all U.S. states. I do this because I will occasionally get pulled over by a cop who doesn't have a clue. :rolleyesedit:

:cheers:

Last edited:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Yes, Indiana honors the license to carry of EVERY state and EVERY foreign country.

Texas may not, and everyone here knows Kirk First Law, but Indiana does recognize EVERY state--no matter what the Indiana State Police think.

I think the point the trooper was making is that since Indiana only recognizes states that issue permits, and if they don't issue one, indiana cannot recognize it, therefore illinois residents may not be legally allowed to carry in indiana. Word of advice, just dismantle the firearm if possible.

Andrew

Top Bottom