• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Wife and I decided to do away with a wood deck and pour a patio/porch to replace the deck, had a hot tub by are garage so it just made sense to incorporate it into a patio.
    Been running designs and ideas by each other for a few years, even talked to a contractor to a point of a quote of what we wanted last October but it got cold and we decided to wait till spring.

Enter my brother-in-law, he has been estranged from the family for a number of years but has been coming back to family functions recently. I know he dose handyman work and mostly helps a guy flip houses, other than that I knew very little. At mothers day we had a conversation and or plans came up, he showed us some pics on his phone and we drew up some plans on paper. He gave us a quote based on the drawing and we gave him the green light.

He showed up last week with a helper and demoed the old deck, all was good. He asked to keep costs down if he could barrow my skid steer which I agreed, I already had a pile of 53 limestone and told him to use what he wanted and where he could pile the sod, he agreed.
    To my surprise when I came home, no sod pile and all the stone in place being compacted. He stated that the sod was fine under the stone as it was only foot traffic and that’s how it’s done, didn’t think that was kosher but he assured me It was fine.
    Next morning came forming, he and his helper were busy driving stakes and 2x4’s when I noticed he was using a 4’ level I told him my friend had a transit laser thingy that I’m sure we could barrow but he Agin assured me he was competent enough without it.

Thursday before Memorial Day would be pour day he had stated originally, in our plans, that he would be pouring the porch and steps first but he had yet to form them, stated he would be pouring most of the slab first and the steps later and the order was irrelevant. My wife also inquired about the lack of curves she wanted with the original design and how he now had it laid out straight with 90 and 45* corners, also how he had a raised slab for the hot tub and its location was changed. He was the expert and what she wanted wasn’t possible was his explanation.

Wife was on vacation that day, he asked if both of us could help as he was short handed and it was just the two of them, his other help backed out. I had some work to do but said I would be there when he was pouring, wife said she would help all she could but had no idea.
    The cement trucks and I arrived at the same time got boots on and asked what he wanted of me, wanted me on a rake, two of them on the screed and my wife would follow up with the bull float. All I could do was laugh, seriously you think she can run a bull float? Nope not going to happen, said he would do double duty then.
    So off we went, mind you I have done some concrete as a farmer and been around while it’s happened but a job this size, no. When we started he told his help to grab the screed it was 2-2x4’s screwed together, yeah. Then I soon came to the realization that we had no wire reinforcement. I asked but was abruptly told he was the professional here and that was not needed on this job.

When we reached the part of the pour with the 8” block of cement for the hot tub the truck ran empty, he exploded on the driver that they cheated us a yard of concrete, it’s an old trick of cement companies to make money and they would be giving us a free yard.

IMG_3044.jpeg IMG_0657.jpeg IMG_3045.jpeg IMG_3046.jpeg IMG_3041.jpeg IMG_3031.jpeg IMG_3032.jpeg IMG_3033.jpeg IMG_3042.jpeg IMG_3040.jpeg
    He proceeded to start the bull float where we started but it had already started to set up, I knew it was hopeless but they started wetting and floating.

Friday he would form the steps and that agin the steps he had pics of on his phone that were curved with no edges or sharp corners would not fit in our design and he needed to form with 2x10’s and 90* corners.
    They were both pretty wiped out from the previous day and wanted to barrow my post auger on the skid steer to install some post for the privacy fence, 6- 4”x 8’ posts installed 7ft above ground and one foot in. At this point I was disgusted. I might not be an expert in concrete but I know a fence post needs to be deeper than a foot, it’s my post auger. Told the wife he would be back on Saturday, had concrete ordered for Tuesday and wanted to form the steps. He never showed, no answer or respond to text

I‘m a patient man but I had reached my limit and he gave me just enough time to think about what had transpired. I called the concrete company, told them to not deliver anything unless it was ordered by me. They showed up mid morning surprised that I was home, the odor was unmistakable. Told him we had decided to go a different direction, no hard feelings on our part but we would no longer need them. Give me a statement on what we owe him to this point. In his mellow state he said ok, collected his tools and left. I have a feeling we have not heard the last of this and will not be together at family functions.

Did I over react? I feel that he put me in this position and I hate that. We are out $1500 for cement as I’m sure it’s scrap. Some other stuff probably at least double that but a lot of it is returnable Or I can use it around.
    I fear our rekindled relationship with my brother-i-law is gone.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    That's why a "professional" contractor costs what it does. Anyone can claim to know what they're doing, and show pics (a lot is unseen in a pic), but using a well known contractor, with good reviews and references, is worth it in the end.
    Personally, I would've stopped him after seeing that the sod hadn't been removed. Then seeing the forms not matching the agreement should've been the hard stop.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you can salvage something from the mess.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I hired a guy from a local paper ad -
    He used a Fiber / asbestos "additive" to the Concrete instead of Rebar on a 24 x 24 patio

Luckily I sold the house a few years later - before any Cracks showed up

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Hate to say it, but you put yourself in this situation.

1. You did business with family. NEVER do business with family.
    2. You did business with a "handyman" instead of a contractor. What I see in the pics is handyman quality work. You expected Contractor level work from a handyman, and it's never going to happen.
    3. Should have pulled the plug at the first red flag.

Not criticizing you. I've been in similar situations and been burned. Learned my lesson the hard way. Good luck figuring it out.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Enter my brother-in-law, he has been estranged from the family for a number of years but has been coming back to family functions recently. I know he dose handyman work and mostly helps a guy flip houses, other than that I knew very little. At mothers day we had a conversation and or plans came up, he showed us some pics on his phone and we drew up some plans on paper. He gave us a quote based on the drawing and we gave him the green light.

"Run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run
    Run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run"
    -Pink Floyd

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, the first red flag would have been where he said your curves were not possible. No, they are possible, he just doesnt possess the skill to do them. Its not an engineering issue per se. Its a laborer limitation. I would have thanked him for his effort and told him to disregard the job at that first failure.

Live and learn.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I hired a guy from a local paper ad -
    He used a Fiber / asbestos "additive" to the Concrete instead of Rebar on a 24 x 24 patio

Luckily I sold the house a few years later - before any Cracks showed up
    Fiber reinforced concrete is an industry standard today for helping to mitigate cracks.

Most people don't realize one simple fact
    There are two types of concrete.
    The type that has cracked, and the type that will crack.

Concrete cracking is inevitable.
    The mitigation efforts prior to the pour are more important than rebar.
    If the site is not properly compacted your concrete will crack in months.
    Properly done it can last decades, but will eventually crack.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fiber reinforced concrete is an industry standard today for helping to mitigate cracks.

Most people don't realize one simple fact
    There are two types of concrete.
    The type that has cracked, and the type that will crack.

Concrete cracking is inevitable.
    The mitigation efforts prior to the pour are more important than rebar.
    If the site is not properly compacted your concrete will crack in months.
    Properly done it can last decades, but will eventually crack.
    And that is why they sculpt in seams and do relief cuts. So that WHEN it starts to crack, it does so in a controlled way.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    My wife realized that even though she paid for stuff, he had most of the Menards receipts and their rebate program was on. So tonight we took back the unused lumber and vinyl privacy fence, got almost $3000 back.
    We have a reputable concrete guy coming this weekend I’m leaving what’s been done as a litmus test for the new guy.
    Her brother has yet to talk or make any contact, his wife/girlfriend not sure, only stated that he is devastated and she broke contact. Not sure if he’s devastated about what he did but I’m guessing its what I did.
    Told my wife she if she ever gets to talk to him she can blame me for removing him and try to salvage a relationship, I don’t care to ever see him again and would gladly not attend family events he is at.
    She said it was our decision together and she agreed with my actions whatever he does is on him.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Wait, he just...built the forms and shoved some rock in right over the grass sod? Now I ain't no fancy licensed contractor, but I thought the general concept of a concrete pad was to dig down into the ground several inches, pour your gravel for drainage, and then do the concrete pour. Don't you, like, not want a bunch of organic plant crap under your pad that is going to decompose and settle?

I haven't done any real big concrete pours so I don't know what I'm looking at. No reinforcement at all? No seams/expansion joints to allow settling? Yes you can sculpt curves, you can notch a 2x4 with a table saw and bend it or just use thinner wood. It's barely high school geometry, Youtube can tell you how.

That big long 2x4 from multiple sections is hilarious. You can see the daylight under it! Lowes ain't never sold me a straight 2x4, you can't use those things to level concrete, let alone three or four of em stuck together. Is he nuts trying to do that all in one pour?

I have so many questions. This looks seriously ambitious for a handyman project, sounds like he bit off way more than he could chew and just hoped to muddle through.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My advice is try not to let it destroy the relationship again.

Mistakes were made on both sides, at least talk to him. He may have just been to embarrassed to say he was in over his head. I personally would have shut it down when the sod was not removed.

Life's to short. Hopefully lessons were learned.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    An observation, not an accusation: You underreacted. The first time that little voice in the back of your head said something is wrong, it would have been prudent to follow your instinct.

Kinda' like wandering into an unfamiliar neighborhood and having that same voice in the back of your head say this is a bad idea and we should leave. It really should be listened to.

Side question, how is fiber in a concrete patio a bad thing? Sorry for the derail.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    An observation, not an accusation: You underreacted. The first time that little voice in the back of your head said something is wrong, it would have been prudent to follow your instinct.

Kinda' like wandering into an unfamiliar neighborhood and having that same voice in the back of your head say this is a bad idea and we should leave. It really should be listened to.

Side question, how is fiber in a concrete patio a bad thing? Sorry for the derail.
    I am not an expert but I do understand one thing about concrete.
    Concrete<fiber reinforced concrete<rebar reinforced concrete<rebar reinforced fiber concrete.

Top Bottom