• ...and so much more!
  • djay7677

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2022
    Mishawaka IN
    The fact that these logical ideas are necessary to be published.. and more people who do inappropriately CC don't cause harm to themselves or others more often is amazing IMO

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    It has been at least 5 years but I saw a real good one. At the gas station at Bakers Corner on US-31 a guy pulled up behind me and struck up a conversation while getting gas. He was wearing all black, open carrying with the CC badge on a chain hanging around his neck. He was driving what looked like an old cop car, black and white color scheme. All decked out but seemed like a nice guy, he started the conversation to tell me there were a lot of cops between there and Westfield so to be carefull. Jim.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    It has been at least 5 years but I saw a real good one. At the gas station at Bakers Corner on US-31 a guy pulled up behind me and struck up a conversation while getting gas. He was wearing all black, open carrying with the CC badge on a chain hanging around his neck. He was driving what looked like an old cop car, black and white color scheme. All decked out but seemed like a nice guy, he started the conversation to tell me there were a lot of cops between there and Westfield so to be carefull. Jim.
    I believe some time ago there were some real winners posted about complete with images.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Sounds like SnS

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I forgot about the “dutch loads”. I remember hearing a person or two talking about doing this back in the day. Never made much sense.

Never heard of people replacing their rear sights with a rail to mount an optic.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I forgot about the “dutch loads”. I remember hearing a person or two talking about doing this back in the day. Never made much sense.

Never heard of people replacing their rear sights with a rail to mount an optic.
    I didn't know what it was called but now I do.

I dutch load my revolver when I am outside at home. 2 SD Loads, 2 FMJ and one snake shot. Firing sequence is set SD, FMJ, Snakeshot.

As far as CC badges. It was explained to me that their purpose was not to be concealed or displayed at all times but to be concealed until you are in a situation where you use a firearm for SD and then held up afterwards so when the police get there they can see it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Does it count as a 'dutch load' if people want to load their home defense shotgun that way?

I still know some people that want to load a bird shot as first up even though I tell them if you have decided to shoot an intruder to discourage them, being dead is the ultimate in discouragement

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I didn't know what it was called but now I do.

Also called 'candy cane loading' or variations. Sometimes otherwise well informed people confuse it for load selection for a shotgun where slugs and shot are both available to the user and assume there's some reason for ball and hp ammo to be 'selectable' or just send them all down range. With barrier blind HP ammo, there's no advantage to ball in a carry gun for defense against humans.

Now, context can dictate a change. Snake country and revolvers, for example, where the first chamber is snake shot and the second through sixth is ammunition for defense against larger creatures or humans as snakes are by far the more likely threat to not see coming. I wouldn't do the same in a self loader as snake shot will almost certainly not allow the slide to cycle properly, turning the gun into a single shot without further manipulation.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Also called 'candy cane loading' or variations. Sometimes otherwise well informed people confuse it for load selection for a shotgun where slugs and shot are both available to the user and assume there's some reason for ball and hp ammo to be 'selectable' or just send them all down range. With barrier blind HP ammo, there's no advantage to ball in a carry gun for defense against humans.

Now, context can dictate a change. Snake country and revolvers, for example, where the first chamber is snake shot and the second through sixth is ammunition for defense against larger creatures or humans as snakes are by far the more likely threat to not see coming. I wouldn't do the same in a self loader as snake shot will almost certainly not allow the slide to cycle properly, turning the gun into a single shot without further manipulation.
    I remember the mixed slug and buck idea. Sounded and worked great for flat range you know what target is what scenarios. Buy real world not so much. But like a lot of other things (worrying about if a rear sight allows one hand slide manipulation or forward slide serrations or mag wells or etc) people get way too wrapped around the axel on Possibilities over Probabilities!

And as far as revolvers a 148 full wadcutter worked great for snake shot clean hole through the snakes head like a paper punch hit it!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Yeah, I always figured if needed for a snake, copperheads around my pond for example, I would just rotate around. If needed for SD, I could just pull the trigger. Wife and I were discussing that in the last ten years, we counted 8 times someone came to our door that was not invited. We are pretty remote.

It's always a tradeoff for what scenario you are planning for, convenience/probability tradeoff, I just carry around a 5 shot revolver when working in the woods, yard and keep a lever action near tractor/wagon or some such.

If in garage/house there are multiple options :)

When I go out into the big world, Beretta comes along for extra capacity :) Although I moved from the 92FS to PX4s, I have been getting very tempted to update the 92FS with one of the newer 92 based offerings.

I tried carrying a 1911 to try and fit in with the crowd (around the house recently) but decided if I really want a .45, I would just carry my PX4 .45. :)

I did finally try carrying striker fired with an XDm, but I just haven't shot it enough to feel as competent with it as my 30 years with the Berettas and found myself going back to the Berettas.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Went to an auction last weekend and saw a guy walking around open carrying a RIA .45 with a gold Concealed Carry Badge on his belt in front of the weapon...I was going to talk with him to see just how stupid he had to be to do this but decided discretion is the better part of valor....just shook my head and walked away...
    So.. should my badge be behind the gun?.............asking for a friend......

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Great to wear to the mall.
    xl_080000833_2.jpg

Top Bottom