• ...and so much more!
  • rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Hello INGO,

My wife is a home healthcare worker (ie: she provides services in other people's homes). I'd like to solicit thoughts/feedback from the INGO community around laws/issues with her being able to conceal carry while she's working/entering someone else's dwelling. For now she always keeps a pistol in her car but I recently have heard stories about arguments breaking out between her patients family members where she's felt a bit uncomfortable. I would like to encourage her to carry inside her purse or workbag but wanted to get thoughts from this community first.

Thanks.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    First question: Does she actually want to carry or is this all your suggestion?

If she does, there is nothing illegal about it, but I would guess it's against her company's policy, so she'll have to weigh that aspect of it. Getting outed could get her fired. Deep concealment would be key.

I would strongly recommend against off body carry in a purse or bag. There is too much that could go sideways if she isn't in control of the firearm at all times. Way too much liability or risk.

She shouldn't really be leaving a pistol in the car either while she is inside a patient's home.

An OC spray is probably her best bet for now if she isn't willing to carry on body and bring the gun inside with her. But if she dresses in some type of scrubs it would be really easy to conceal something small on her waistline with a phlster Enigma holster.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    I know nothing about the legal aspects. I’ve carried in peoples homes many times. They never knew. The company she works for would probably frown upon it. On the other hand, in that situation, I’d probably do it anyway. Idk about the handbag tho. Has she ever considered the undershirts or other clothing that offers carry options? This site is one of many

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I've worked in home healthcare / disability services for the past couple years and I would say don't leave it in a purse or workbag if patients/clients have a remote chance of accessing it.

Even if it seems like they don't, does she really want to take her bag into the bathroom/out to the car to grab something every time? It's easy to forget, or get careless because it's late and patients are asleep, etc.

Keep it on your person in a proper holster, and dress to conceal a bit more than one would for a quick trip to the grocery store or gas station.

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    I think the OC spray is a good option, but also agree that the liability for leaving a firearm off-body where a client could find it is pretty off-the-charts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It'd be smart to carry in a holster, if she can find a way that would work. It'd probably tough to find an employer who will allow it, maybe she works for herself?

Of body carry would be a terrible idea. She needs to be in complete control of the firearm 100% of the time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for NO off body carry and OC spray. I think that is the best alternative. And if that happens to fall out of her scrub pocket, nobody is gonna say a word. Its just pepper spray. Not so if they see her gun.

Reactions: LP1

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Another vote against off body carry. I also say only if it's her choice to carry and she feels comfortable, she should definitely have OC spray with her as a minimum. I imagine she wears scrubs, I've really been looking into this. I've seen it mentioned on here a few times, maybe by BBL.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you are looking into spray, I just bought Redd. It is nasty. I had my wife spray me with it. Used the famous Ken Campbell 10 bucket decon then finish up with either Sudecon or baby shamoo mixed with sucrose. Freeze +P is another good product. Both work on dogs but to varying degrees. Plain OC just makes them mad.

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I appreciate all the feedback.

I feel like there's a theme here:
    • Off body carry is generally NOT recommended (purse / work bag)
    • Spray is a good alternative option
    And the winner for making me laugh this morning goes to 'KokomoDave' - "I had my wife spray me with it."

More than likely I'm going to have her carry the nastiest spray I can get my hands on after feedback from the crowd here. However, I will NOT be having her use me as her guinea pig.

We may graduate to on body carry eventually but for now I think we have an immediate plan. Again, the feedback here is appreciated.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I appreciate all the feedback.

I feel like there's a theme here:
    • Off body carry is generally NOT recommended (purse / work bag)
    • Spray is a good alternative option
    And the winner for making me laugh this morning goes to 'KokomoDave' - "I had my wife spray me with it."

More than likely I'm going to have her carry the nastiest spray I can get my hands on after feedback from the crowd here. However, I will NOT be having her use me as her guinea pig.

We may graduate to on body carry eventually but for now I think we have an immediate plan. Again, the feedback here is appreciated.
    I let my wife spray me. It was important. But I'm not a moron like Dave. (j/k) I bought a trainer model thats filled with water.

Its important that she can train with an inert trainer so she knows how it performs. Ideally you want a matched trainer, not a Trainer from Mace and a pepper canister from Sabre. And the trainers arent expensive. I think mine cost 8 bucks.

I also found the flip top units are easier to operate under stress. The tabbed turn and press are awkward and hard to work when calm. I cant imagine trying to get it activated when somebody is charging me.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...but I recently have heard stories about arguments breaking out between her patients family members where she's felt a bit uncomfortable...
    Great advice on weapon choices and carry from MCgrease and others.

Best thing is to avoid situations where she would need a weapon. When a family argument breaks out and your wife is uncomfortable she should simply leave. Tell the patient she will come back when patient care can be the priority and she feels safe. She is there for the patient, not to be referee, mediator, enforcer, etc.

If the family calls to complain to her employer she should tell her employer she felt unsafe and that the employer needs to push back on the patient (and their family). She is there for home healthcare that the family members are incapable of doing (training) or do not want to do (change mom's diaper). Take advantage of today's labor shortage to be treated properly.

Be like Nurse Ratched, don't take any crap from the crazies...

Nurse Ratchet.jpg

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Give POM spray a look. They also sell water (inert) trainers so that you and your wife can practice without a pain penalty.
    POM
    Free shipping on 2 or more live units.
    If you look around on the net, you could probably find a discount code as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Let's look at the other side of this.

You are in reluctant need of home heathcare. The home healthcare company has sent nurses that are not bad, but just OK. The rotating schedule has put a variety of differerent people in your house.

You accidentally discover that your recent brand new nurse has a pistol with them?

:scratch:

Top Bottom