• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My mom, who is 89, enjoys browsing Facebook Marketplace. Her computer and mine are in the same room. Both of us have our location as Crown Point, our search radius for Marketplace items is 5 miles, and local pickup is selected.

When I browse say, women's apparel, I get hundreds/thousands of items in Crown Point and nearby towns. On my mom's computer, browsing the same thing, she gets about 4-5 local items and then it's showing her stuff in Illinois and Michigan. I have played with the settings, rebooted, and cleared her cache, and it's still happening. We wrote to Facebook Help and of course got no response.

Any ideas why two computers with the same settings in the same room could have such different results? The only thing I could think of is that it might be a RAM issue, but she's got 16GB and that should be enough.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Ram has nothing to do with the problem. Ram isn't going to determine how many results you get.

I think the problem is on facebooks end. From my phone since times I'll get lots of results for a search. Then come back later and get very few. I think their interface just sucks and is spotty.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks FMJ. Yeah, I figured, but sometimes if you don't have enough RAM, things don't load right, so it was a remote possibility to me after I already made the changes I did.

Dammit, I hate things that don't make sense. Why does it work on my computer but not hers? Maybe you're right, FMJ, that it's just a random quality issue.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Searching for women's undergarments on Facebook marketplace is inadvisable in the first place. The elastic is always all stretched out or there are holes, not to mention the occasional skidmark.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Since you’re accessing Facebook on the computer I assume you’re using an Internet browser to do so. If this is the case try clearing the entire cash.

In chrome and Firefox <control-shift-delete> (at the same time) should bring up the cache dialogue and you can select what to delete.

You will likely have to re-login and possibly set your location preferences again. By default it probably determines your location via your ip address (geolocation).

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Since you’re accessing Facebook on the computer I assume you’re using an Internet browser to do so. If this is the case try clearing the entire cash.

In chrome and Firefox <control-shift-delete> (at the same time) should bring up the cache dialogue and you can select what to delete.

You will likely have to re-login and possibly set your location preferences again. By default it probably determines your location via your ip address (geolocation).
    I did go in the Firefox settings and clear the cache. Is that the same thing?

I wonder if the same issue would happen in Chrome? Going to try it now.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    yes and yes

facebook places "cookies" into your browser to remember things like who's logged in, location settings and other transient meta-info used to remember your activities.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, I went into Chrome and it was worse. Got two items in Crown Point and then Illinois and Missouri. I think it has something to do with the fact that all of the images are not loading.

1670159952358.png

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    OK, I went into Chrome and it was worse. Got two items in Crown Point and then Illinois and Missouri. I think it has something to do with the fact that all of the images are not loading.

View attachment 240473
    Are there any add-on installed in the browser? i.e. ad-blockers or privacy badger?

If there are extensions installed, temporarily disable them by starting in safe-mode. Open chrome's icon and change like this:
    1670160430495.png

Don't forget to change it back when done testing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Could there be differences in settings within the FB? Also the FB seems to learn from past experience, she could have clicked on links out of state a couple of times and now it supplies more of them.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I disabled the extensions by turning them off. Didn't do the safe mode thing. Is that OK?

Same results with both browsers. Just a few local and then we're in Kentucky and Missouri. Not even towns further away in Indiana.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A lot of those shopping, coupon extensions are very malicious. Proceed with great care. Many are just malware, DO. NOT. TRUST. Especially if they were auto-installed by a site. Don't allow unless you know what your doing.
    We've been using Rakuten for years. I get a check for between $15-30 every month just for having it on when I shop.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Could there be differences in settings within the FB? Also the FB seems to learn from past experience, she could have clicked on links out of state a couple of times and now it supplies more of them.
    I could try clicking on the local ones and see, although then she might only get sweatshirts and designer purses...

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Tried firefox instead of chrome? I personally hate chrome, not secure and controlled by google that harvests everything it can about you and your browsing habits.

Did you clear cache "everything" or just last hour?

I suppose you could try a full reboot, unlikely fix though.

That's all I have. I don't do facebook so I can't go further.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Tried firefox instead of chrome? I personally hate chrome, not secure and controlled by google that harvests everything it can about you and your browsing habits.

Did you clear cache "everything" or just last hour?

I suppose you could try a full reboot, unlikely fix though.

That's all I have. I don't do facebook so I can't go further.
    Trying Firefox and Chrome simultaneously. Cleared all cache. I can try rebooting again now.

Top Bottom