• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, things just moved to a new level of creepy. I asked the computer room Echo this morning what the weather would be, and after Alexa told me the 7-day forecast, she said "By the way, I am trying to respond from the proper place. Is this the one you expected?"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    OK, things just moved to a new level of creepy. I asked the computer room Echo this morning what the weather would be, and after Alexa told me the 7-day forecast, she said "By the way, I am trying to respond from the proper place. Is this the one you expected?"
    Yeah, I'd be yanking those suckers out for sure.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How close are the echo devices?

I've seen a few cases where the devices do ask a question for improvement of service.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been asked that. I don't think it's a big deal. Like Web mentioned, I think it's because my other units are within shouting distance of the main one in the kitchen.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've been asked that. I don't think it's a big deal. Like Web mentioned, I think it's because my other units are within shouting distance of the main one in the kitchen.
    I'm not really that creeped out by it. It's just strange because I've never really had an issue with it before I started talking about it a couple days ago.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Indeed. Don't know about that specific product, but if you opted out before the update the update may have reset that to the default - inadvertently, of course : roll eyes :
    ^^^^
    This.
    It is probably a good idea to check all the settings periodically just in case they want them to be different than you do.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    At least on mine Sidewalk setting was the same post 8-Jun as it was before, which is disabled.
    I jumped to iPhone when my Note 5 got dated, so I've been out of that ecosystem for a while, but I remember I'd have to go in after every android update and restore some settings to the more restrictive options I desired

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I jumped to iPhone when my Note 5 got dated, so I've been out of that ecosystem for a while, but I remember I'd have to go in after every android update and restore some settings to the more restrictive options I desired
    Agreed, definitely worth a review on a periodic basis. Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc aren't exactly known as protecting one's privacy or honoring/preserving settings.

cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    I would start with improved network security. Get yourself a good router with firewall and access-control ability. Be sure to always change all default passwords and usernames if possible. For example, your windows computer has a default admin account named “Administrator” and a good policy is to rename that to something less common. When you don’t have good firewall rules in place that computer could be accessed across the internet.

Now, it doesn’t matter how good your security is if you let untrusted devices in. You wouldn’t invite a robber into your home. So don’t let untrustworthy devices on your network.

And as always, get off facebook. These companies are not your friend.

But hey, what do I know, I’m just a former NSA intel analyst and current cybersecurity engineer speaking here...

Top Bottom