• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I checked history. The first entry for today was me telling Alexa to quit (after she kept asking me "Who would you like me to send it to?"). That happened at 2am and there is nothing in history indicating what caused her to ask that.
    I would be curious about what it wants to send too. Check any money sending accounts like paypal.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    OK, things just moved to a new level of creepy. I asked the computer room Echo this morning what the weather would be, and after Alexa told me the 7-day forecast, she said "By the way, I am trying to respond from the proper place. Is this the one you expected?"
    Alexa right now…
    2000DEB6-8A63-4578-816B-A5581CCA562B.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would start with improved network security. Get yourself a good router with firewall and access-control ability. Be sure to always change all default passwords and usernames if possible. For example, your windows computer has a default admin account named “Administrator” and a good policy is to rename that to something less common. When you don’t have good firewall rules in place that computer could be accessed across the internet.

Now, it doesn’t matter how good your security is if you let untrusted devices in. You wouldn’t invite a robber into your home. So don’t let untrustworthy devices on your network.

And as always, get off facebook. These companies are not your friend.

But hey, what do I know, I’m just a former NSA intel analyst and current cybersecurity engineer speaking here...
    Thanks for the advice!

Any further on simple network configuration and settings? Should a consideration be a newer router (than 3-4 years old)?

What about the VPN's that we are hearing advertised more and more?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    For security, you should upgrade every few years. Protocols are always changing, and the older hardware will eventually not be able to support the most current security.

Another thing I cannot recommend enough is a password vault. Bitwarden, LastPass, something like that. They allow you to use long unique passwords for everything you log into. An important thing today, since so many username/password combinations have been compromised. Browsers usually have it built into them, but they are not really secure. If one browser can copy your password database from another, then a bad actor can too.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh, VPNs are a mixed lot. If you get(and pay) for a good one, you could have more privacy than you would otherwise. If you don't, you could just be giving your information to yet another party.

cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    Thanks for the advice!

Any further on simple network configuration and settings? Should a consideration be a newer router (than 3-4 years old)?

What about the VPN's that we are hearing advertised more and more?

A VPN is smart but it won’t help the rest of your devices. You should always make sure your router is still supported by the manufacturer to support the latest security protocols. The number one thing you can always do is strong passwords though

Top Bottom