• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So I started a runaway thread on a pocket carry question and in there someone posted about a Minotaur holster. It looks nice and I realized that it might work for my 400 lb frame(I have the body of a god...unfortunately its Buddha)

Anyway, I like the looks of the MTAC and I think it may work. I just am a little concerned about spending 90 bucks on it just to 'try out' that location for carrying.

It seems like if its comfortable in this area something like this is where I'd end up.

Is there a cheaper way to 'try out' a 4 o'clock inside waistband location? I like the leather against the flab with the 'plastic' to protect the gun and give it its space. The swap-ability for different guns is very appealing as well as I think I may move away from my current carry gun to something different in the future.

Thoughts...should I just dive in? I'm thinking 'yes' as if I spend 40 bucks on something similar...I'm already halfway there...so I may as well dive in.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In my opinion, none of the others are even close to CompTac in terms of quality. That in combination with the interchangeable Kydex shells of the MTAC and its a no brainer.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Galco king tuk is like $50-60 I think. It is well made and similar to the mtac in design, but definitely not as nice

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    In my opinion, none of the others are even close to CompTac in terms of quality. That in combination with the interchangeable Kydex shells of the MTAC and its a no brainer.
    This^^. Every CompTac product I own has been great. Excellent customer service and fast delivery. All of mine have shipped in a week or less.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    I bought a similar style holster from SHTF Gear called the ACE-1 for my full frame XDM .40 with a 3.8" barrel. The kydex isn't interchangeable, but it is held on with kevlar stitches and a few screws to prevent it from stretching out and losing retention. I ordered the holster directly from their website for $65 with upgraded clips and I couldn't be any happier with it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have the Spartan model by Comp-Tac. Does not look as nice but a few dollars cheaper. It is very comfortable and secure. Highly recommended.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Galco king tuk is like $50-60 I think. It is well made and similar to the mtac in design, but definitely not as nice

I use a King Tuk and like it alot. They are about $50 online. Great holster and you can also find them at some shops locally to try out.

On the other hand, if you decide to go Crossbreed, they have a 2 week trial policy:

"LIFETIME WARRANTY: Once you receive your holster you have two weeks to try it out, if it doesn't work for you, simply give us a ring and we will buy it back. Even after your two-week-try-it-free period is over, the holster still carries a lifetime warranty and we will repair or replace it as long as you own it if it fails you in any way under normal use."

Crossbreed also has a seconds site: Crossbreed Holsters - Second Hand Holsters where you can get them cheaper, but they don't do the trial policy on items purchased from there.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm 5'7 and closer to 300 pounds than I should be.

I carry my Glock 19 in the Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC and LOVE IT! I love the comfort the most, but a close second is changing out the shells, as I also have shells for the M&P9 and M&P Shield.

I also have a Comp-tac Kydex reinforced belt, which is VERY high quality and sturdy. I actually wear this belt to work every day, even when not carrying.

Like everyone else, I bought countless holsters and "thick" belts to try, but nothing has worked better for me than this setup.

I also have a Comp-tac dual mag pouches, very high quality stuff.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I almost ordered one up yesterday but decided to hold off until I just try a cheap suade<sp?> holster my brother gave me. I realize it won't be near as good but figure at least it will help me 'feel' what it may be like hanging there.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought a heavy belt at the 1500 last summer. It has held up very well. Thick, solid Leather. Best belt I've had in years. Never even thought it was CC or OC when I bought it. I just needed a new belt lol.

I had the Galco IWB suede holster on my belt when I mowed tonight. Only issue with it was the muzzle dug in hard...but overall I think it could work well in that location.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I got an Mtac a few weeks ago and I also picked up a piece of the Moleskin they sell. I carried it for a few days w/o putting on the Moleskin just to break it in a little. After putting on the Moleskin back I almost forget I'm wearing a holster.

The only complaint I have is that the holster body itself is so large it makes it difficult to get my wallet out of my back pocket. Other than that I love it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I got an Mtac a few weeks ago and I also picked up a piece of the Moleskin they sell. I carried it for a few days w/o putting on the Moleskin just to break it in a little. After putting on the Moleskin back I almost forget I'm wearing a holster.

The only complaint I have is that the holster body itself is so large it makes it difficult to get my wallet out of my back pocket. Other than that I love it.

I switched to carrying my wallet in my front pocket. Not only dies it accommodate a pistol at the 4 o'clock position, you also don't sit on it. Or you can just put the wallet in the pocket on the left side. Feels weird for a while. I am a creature of habit myself.

I like the moleskin idea. Might have to try that. Although leather against my skin is not that bad. I often times wear an undershirt.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am a creature of habit myself.

I like the moleskin idea. Might have to try that. Although leather against my skin is not that bad. I often times wear an undershirt.

That is my problem. I'm so used to having my wallet in my right rear pocket I don't want to change its location. Even when I do I end up reaching for it in the pocket I'm used to.

I usually wear an undershirt too but somtimes its to hot to wear two shirts. The moleskin makes it a little more comfortable against bare skin.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    That is my problem. I'm so used to having my wallet in my right rear pocket I don't want to change its location. Even when I do I end up reaching for it in the pocket I'm used to.

I usually wear an undershirt too but somtimes its to hot to wear two shirts. The moleskin makes it a little more comfortable against bare skin.

I have put my wallet somewhere besides my Right Rear pocket before. My heart ALWAYS skips a beat when I reach for it and its not htere until it clicks where I have it...lol

Top Bottom