• ...and so much more!
  • rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    Now that my Dillon 550 is on the way i am needing to buy some components
    I will be loading .233, .308, 44mag .357mag, 45 long colt ,and 9mm.
    I know there is allot of brass out there, what brands of brass should i stay away from and is there one powder that will work for all.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    dunno about the brass to look out for too much, but on the powder you might find a few types that work ok for most, but you will only get ideal loads with a few different ones depending on caliber

i would suggest browsing some loading sheets like on hodgdons website or out of a recent book or other website and seeing which powders they are using for your calibers and bullets you will be loading

the ones listed are usually good performing powders for the caliber

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I tend to only reload my spent brass, so I don't no about what to stay away from other than nickel. Nickel finsh is good for keeping cases nice and shiney, but once fired the powder and nickel plating react and make the brass brittle and more likely to crack.

As for powder, you will not find one powder to load all the cartridges you list. There are rifle powders and pistol/shotshell powders. Furture the .45 Colt , .44 Magmun, and .357 magnum can be loaded with a powder with more punch than the 9mm.

Get one or two (maybe three) reloading manuals to go over loads for the cartridges you plan to load.
    :twocents:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Hogdon 335 or 4895 will work in your 2 rifle loads, and I would use Titegroup or HS6 in your pistol loads to start out with. Each has always performed for me. One rule of thumb is pistol = fast powder, rifle = slow powder.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom