• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So recently we had a Big Name AC company service our unit. Firs it was you need a compressor your pressure is too High it’s going to be $3500 for a two year old unit. Then it was yeah you need a reversing valve that’s only going to be $2700. So at this point I let him know we’re done here after he let out so much refrigerant that there was literally a cloud on our property.

All this for the bargain price of $142.00 for a service call an the loss of over two pounds of refrigerant.

Fast forecast I contact another company local mom and pop shop diagnosed it as a broken wire at the thermostat. Had the system up and running about 40 minutes later after recharging the system.

Now we are looking at over $378 to fix Big companies screw up. Long story short after a few very direct emails they are refunding the cost of the Big Service Company service call, wiring repair that they screwed up and refrigerant replacement.

And because they value us as a customer they are going to give us. Complimentary 1 Year Maintenance program. AM I MISSING SOMETHING or is there some reason I should ever let them anywhere near our AC system. Trying to figure out if I should just accept the maintenance program and never use it or let them know how I really feel?

Paging Big Red

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Not all techs are good.
    Some are just sales people. (And really bad at that too)

Mom and pop shops can be just as bad as big name shops. If they know they are there after another company they may actually do the correct work... or they may try to screw you to gain a customer since they are already there.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So recently we had a Big Name AC company service our unit. Firs it was you need a compressor your pressure is too High it’s going to be $3500 for a two year old unit. Then it was yeah you need a reversing valve that’s only going to be $2700. So at this point I let him know we’re done here after he let out so much refrigerant that there was literally a cloud on our property.

All this for the bargain price of $142.00 for a service call an the loss of over two pounds of refrigerant.

Fast forecast I contact another company local mom and pop shop diagnosed it as a broken wire at the thermostat. Had the system up and running about 40 minutes later after recharging the system.

Now we are looking at over $378 to fix Big companies screw up. Long story short after a few very direct emails they are refunding the cost of the Big Service Company service call, wiring repair that they screwed up and refrigerant replacement.

And because they value us as a customer they are going to give us. Complimentary 1 Year Maintenance program. AM I MISSING SOMETHING or is there some reason I should ever let them anywhere near our AC system. Trying to figure out if I should just accept the maintenance program and never use it or let them know how I really feel?

Paging Big Red
    Take the win on them refunding your $$ and paying for the cost of the repair actually done by the other company and let it be. (Assuming they actually pay you back) The maintenance program doesn't have to be used (and I wouldn't)

Then utilize the mom and pop if you need more service and give the mom and pop shop a good review online and word of mouth as well.

There isn't anything more to be gained from the big service company , assuming they actually cover all the costs as they promise.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A co-worker went to a weekend seminar with one of the big franchise AC companies here in central Indiana several years ago. He got up and left after a couple of hours because it was purely to teach technicians how to turn a simple dirty filter or bad blower motor into a full system replacement. There are shady operators in all the trades, unfortunately honest ones are getting harder and harder to find. IT'S THE NEW NORMAL!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Take the win on them refunding your $$ and paying for the cost of the repair actually done by the other company and let it be. (Assuming they actually pay you back) The maintenance program doesn't have to be used (and I wouldn't)

Then utilize the mom and pop if you need more service and give the mom and pop shop a good review online and word of mouth as well.

There isn't anything more to be gained from the big service company , assuming they actually cover all the costs as they promise.
    I am pretty sure they will be making a full restitution. I think I set some pretty clear expectations, and I suspect they will follow through!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Waiting for Big Red to chime in but seriously leaning towards just letting it go provided they make full restitution.
    That’s probably the best idea, It likely wouldn’t do any good to really give it to them, and they are taking care of it so I guess there’s not much more you can ask for. I still wouldn’t let them touch my equipment again!

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Where I worked had a Maintenance Contract on a special HVAC system for the Computer Server room - they came out every few Months to Check and in the summer Powerwash the Outdoor Units

Ask what their Complimentary Plan includes

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Where I worked had a Maintenance Contract on a special HVAC system for the Computer Server room - they came out every few Months to Check and in the summer Powerwash the Outdoor Units

Ask what their Complimentary Plan includes
    The maintenance plan in itself is not a bad thing. The issue is don't think I'd let a company that screwed up so badly have any other chances to mess up again. Sure, it could have been a one off due to bad tech, but why deal with that when he has another option (mom & pop company) that so far has already proven themselves.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The maintenance plan in itself is not a bad thing. The issue is don't think I'd let a company that screwed up so badly have any other chances to mess up again. Sure, it could have been a one off due to bad tech, but why deal with that when he has another option (mom & pop company) that so far has already proven themselves.
    Mom and pop shop goes to the same church as we do. We will sometimes go twice a week and I always sit in the last row by the center door. I guess doing your part to be visible and help ensure safety goes a long way with some people.

Back on topic but once a company demonstrates that they have no interest in providing service only to make a large profit at any cost , I am not letting them any where near our system ever again. I decided to accept their plan and let it go. By that I mean we will not use it or their services ever again, and leave it at that. Who knows perhaps the area manager genuinely thought he was doing something nice, by offering an olive branch?

Regardless nothing really to be gained by being nasty provided they follow through.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In May of 2018, we had to have a total HVAC replacement surgery (kinda like a heart transplant). It was done at a fair price in a reasonable time and continues to perform dependably to this day even in this heat.

The installer?

View attachment 207201
    We wanted to use this same outfit but alas we waited too long and he has more important things to do now. (See photo in his avatar)

Top Bottom