• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    So, I drive commercially, local here in central Indiana. I've been trying to find some black and white on this to no avail. The I.C. Code doesn't really cover it and a state trooper friend of mine didn't really have an answer either. (now the fact he didn't know that is a diff conversation all together). Anyhow, outside of the standard "check your employer rules and regs", anyone have knowledge on this topic?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The I.C. doesn't prohibit carry while in a commercial vehicle, other than a commercial or chartered aircraft; so pursuant to any other applicable Code (i.e. LTCH) I would guess that you are good to go from the perspective of the State. This doesn't mean your employer can't fire you however, if they prohibit employees from arming themselves while using company vehicles. Of course this is only my opinion, and...(drumroll)...IANAL. I carry while in our commercial vehicles though.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You won't find any law that says you can. Laws aren't written that way.
    Since nobody can ever find a law which says you can't... it is, by default, legal.

When crossing states which don't allow vehicle carry, you must transport unloaded in a secure container and out of reach of the driver per Federal Safe Passage law.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    No, but I should have been more straightforward in my answer. I have part ownership of a business aside from my full-time job. We own several delivery vehicles, and most of us carry when we are in them.

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    I heard this question brought up to a federal d.o.t. officer durring a call in talk show and here is what the caller was told. He (d.o.t. officer) said that he has never seen anything forbidding carry in a commercial vehicle, so the best he could tell, state carry laws would apply. So basicly it would be no different than in your personal vehicle, just follow the law of the land!;)

maniox74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Franklin, In.
    ive been told by a handful of dot officers that as of now there are no laws prohibiting it as long as your ltch permit is valid in that state. but another question to ask is "is there any type of permit or license that is available to allow carry in all the lower 48 states and canada?"

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    ive been told by a handful of dot officers that as of now there are no laws prohibiting it as long as your ltch permit is valid in that state.

That is true carrying is no different just because we are in a commercial vehicle. Carry just as you would in your POV.

but another question to ask is "is there any type of permit or license that is available to allow carry in all the lower 48 states and canada?"

I wish there was, but the answer is sadly no. Can't ever take guns into Canada with any type of permit that I'm aware of. Their firearm laws up there are disgusting.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    "is there any type of permit or license that is available to allow carry in all the lower 48 states and canada?"

Handguns in Canada??? Theoretically it is possible to transport a handgun in Canada (although if you start filling out the paperwork now, your great-great grandson may possibly be issued the proper documentation), but to CARRY a handgun in Canada, well, that's just preposterous. You might as well try carrying a backpack nuke. Unless you're a criminal, of course. They seem to just ignore the laws, for some reason.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    "is there any type of permit or license that is available to allow carry in all the lower 48 states and canada?"
    NO to bringing ANY gun into Canaduh without the proper permits (nearly impossible to get even for a Canuck). Also, there is NO permit that will allow you to carry in the lower 48. I am an owner operator and these sites are fantastic places for reference OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    and
    Handgunlaw.us

As previously stated, the safe passage law allows you to have a gun even in Chicago or NYC provided it is secured and stored properly. OOIDAs legal team has advised me on this issue as well....Additionally, once you are parked for your 10hr break, your truck is no longer a vehicle but rather a domicile......hope this helps.

Top Bottom