• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is in surrounding states, but just assuming that new Kroger employee union contracts will be coming our way soon also? Maybe they are already in force here?

Not sure how this will affect food costs? Business is business though, correct?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kroger’s wages have been high for years and yet somehow they aren’t much more expensive than meijer.

back in the 2000’s when I worked there we had a coworker that had been there for probably more than 30 years. She was making definitely over 30 and possibly over 35 to scan groceries. It’s been a while but I remember thinking it was crazy

union companies set the standard. Non union companies raise prices to stay just below the union companies but never more than 5-10% lower.

source: I’ve bid union work against non union companies.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Poor government policies make inflation. Printing money with no economic growth cannot be absorbed, the spending of the last 120 days has been obscene. That is where half of the trouble lays, not some store clerk. I would not be surprised if the top Kroger executives already gave themselves a bigger raise than everyone on that contract put together. Krogers CEO has a package well over $14 Million, and he is not the only multimillion salary in the organization

Look at housing, fuel, building materials, anything imported, etc, they are raising even faster than the 4 year streak under jimmy carter. The hedge fund heavyweights are betting on hyper inflation. In the over all scheme of things, a dollar an hour raise per year for the grocery workers will be a drop in the bucket. My standard grocery list is at least 20% higher since Christmas and no one got a raise yet.

We cannot blame the workers who are just above poverty wages for inflation. Take example the UAW workers. Direct labor for cars is about 30-35 hours. If the pay was $100/hour that would be $3500. Materials are the same to maybe double. Yet a new truck is $60,000. We forget all the multi million dollar salaries even down to local plant managers. We forget all the golden parachutes where even if a high level guy gets fired he gets 60 million and another 25 million in options. We forget all the luxury benefits that get charged off. Those same guys that are on the high level thievery LOVE to have us blame a poverty level clerk for our grocery prices. Look at lumber, loggers and rough sawmills are making less per board foot than they did in 1980 once you adjust for inflation. And Weyerhauser posted a 685 million quarterly profit on a business unit where they used to average 9 million. If we had 30 more minutes we could look at the Medical industry.

I am happy for the Kroger workers, and as much a I hate paying more, I don't begrudge them a single nickle.

Last edited:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Poor government policies make inflation. Printing money with no economic growth cannot be absorbed, the spending of the last 120 days has been obscene. That is where half of the trouble lays, not some store clerk. I would not be surprised if the top Kroger executives already gave themselves a bigger raise than everyone on that contract put together. Krogers CEO has a package well over $14 Million, and he is not the only multimillion salary in the organization

Look at housing, fuel, building materials, anything imported, etc, they are raising even faster than the 4 year streak under jimmy carter. The hedge fund heavyweights are betting on hyper inflation. In the over all scheme of things, a dollar an hour raise per year for the grocery workers will be a drop in the bucket. My standard grocery list is at least 20% higher since Christmas and no one got a raise yet.

We cannot blame the workers who are just above poverty wages for inflation. Take example the UAW workers. Direct labor for cars is about 30-35 hours. If the pay was $100/hour that would be $3500. Materials are the same to maybe double. Yet a new truck is $60,000. We forget all the multi million dollar salaries even down to local plant managers. We forget all the golden parachutes where even if a high level guy gets fired he gets 60 million and another 25 million in options. We forget all the luxury benefits that get charged off. Those same guys that are on the high level thievery LOVE to have us blame a poverty level clerk for our grocery prices. Look at lumber, loggers and rough sawmills are making less per board foot than they did in 1980 once you adjust for inflation. And Weyerhauser posted a 685 million quarterly profit on a business unit where they used to average 9 million. If we had 30 more minutes we could look at the Medical industry.

I am happy for the Kroger workers, and as much a I hate paying more, I don't begrudge them a single nickle.
    Wish we still had a rep system. Great points.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Kroger`s wages have been high? Huh? I applied there 3 or 4 years ago for a meat cutter/meat department position and starting pay was $8.50/hr.

Reactions: Leo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Who said we were blaming the workers. No one here did its the way of things. Wages increase and the customers absorb the increases. That is all I am referring to.

I see whats going on and no I do not like it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Thankfully we will not be affected by this. We have Kroger about 35 minutes from us. The store is the most disgusting store I have ever been in. Floors are dirty store is far from anywhere I would ever shop. Employees are rude as all get out. They do have pharmacy which has convinced us to use an authorized mail pharmacy.

Yeah Kroger no thanks we will drive an extra 20 minutes to go to Aldi.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

I don’t begrudge the Kroger workers around here. We vote with our feet and do not shop there period.

your experience may vary

Reactions: Leo

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Kroger pissed me off a few months ago and I haven't been back.
    Cut up my "Payless" card and mailed it back to corporate with a letter explaining the source of my discontent, and a request to be removed from their mailing list.

Been shopping at Walmart since and don't miss Kroger at all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thankfully we will not be affected by this. We have Kroger about 35 minutes from us. The store is the most disgusting store I have ever been in. Floors are dirty store is far from anywhere I would ever shop. Employees are rude as all get out. They do have pharmacy which has convinced us to use an authorized mail pharmacy.

Yeah Kroger no thanks we will drive an extra 20 minutes to go to Aldi.
    This has been the trend here in Btown also. We used to chuckle at how non-customer oriented Walmart was, but Kroger is beginning to make them look good.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    This has been the trend here in Btown also. We used to chuckle at how non-customer oriented Walmart was, but Kroger is beginning to make them look good.
    Our experience was after we first moved here, we went fully anticipating a store similar to the ones in Indiana, not so much. That was 7 years ago.
    I do not know if they are still in business but the closest comparison I could make was Pates in Hebron.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Kroger pissed me off a few months ago and I haven't been back.
    Cut up my "Payless" card and mailed it back to corporate with a letter explaining the source of my discontent, and a request to be removed from their mailing list.

Been shopping at Walmart since and don't miss Kroger at all.
    And I bet you did not even receive a response? Good for you for voicing your discontent prior to shopping elsewhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The suck that is kroger and the teamsters reminds me of a young man I know. He worked there for a couple months before he quit out of frustration.

He needed a part time job because of school. So he was a bagger/stocker and did whatever they told him. But he could only work 10-15 hours a week due to school/sports.

He was forced to join the union, which apparently has no sliding scale for PT employees. Everyone paid the same dues no matter how many hours he worked.

When he got his first paycheck, he thought it was a mistake. It was only $20 or so for 10 hours of labor. So he took it to his manager. They pored over the pay stub. Turns out the poor kid was paying the union and "the man" most of his wages in dues and taxes. He took it to the union rep, and was told "Sorry, thats just how it goes. Nothing we can do. Everybody pays the same, otherwise it wouldnt be fair." LOLWUT??? :facepalm:

He quit after a month. He just couldnt justify working for less than $2/hour net.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess I'll go against the grain and say that I like my Kroger (Southern Plaza here in Indy). It's an older store, but it's kept clean, employees are friendly and polite, and it's one of the few that haven't been turned into the rat maze that all the new ones have become (aisles to nowhere, aisles that run diagonally and cut through other aisles, seemingly unrelated items grouped together, etc.). I've left a cart full of food in some of those stores before, just out of frustration when I couldn't find what I was looking for. I get a lot of our groceries at Aldi, but there are some things that I get only at Kroger.

Edit: Oh, and nobody bats an eye when I have continued to open carry there after corporate "requested" that customers not do so.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I use the Kroger in Avon and have been satisfied with the experience. I know the store layout and can usually maneuver through it to get what I want fairly quickly. I have been annoyed lately since they’ve been remodeling and moved many items around and have installed new refrigerated cases with doors for items like lunch meats, cheese and dairy items. They have also dropped several items that I used to buy, soda being made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup being one of them. When in my teens, many decades ago, I had a friend that worked for Kroger and she was making almost what my buddies were making at International Harvester, Ford and Chevrolet. I do shop for a lot of items at Sam’s since I get my prescriptions there but I’m looking forward to the opening of the Avon Costco.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    We cannot all be "the same" with no systemic anything until we are all equal. It is impossible for everyone to be equally rich, so the obvious choice is to make everybody equally poor.

Fine, maybe everyone will be making $35 an hour but it won't mean squat when everybody is making $35 an hour.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Warren Buffett increases stake in Kroger

...Buffett has doubled his stake in Kroger in the last six months. Berkshire Hathaway added 8.5 million shares of Kroger in the fourth quarter last year, lifting its ownership from 25 million shares at the end of the third quarter to 33.5 million by year-end.

Buffett first took an ownership position in Kroger in the fourth quarter of 2019. His investment firm bought 18.9 million shares during that quarter, according to SEC filings.

Buffett has done well with its Kroger investment. Kroger shares have soared 49% since the end of the third quarter of 2019, just before Buffett’s firm began buying the supermarket company’s stock...

Top Bottom