• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Side stepping here a little and I don't know why I am going here but maybe someone can explain it to me.

Here is what I don't get, the internet loves Colt is full of dislike for Kimber, but when I take a Kimber apart their machining and barrel fit up is top notch. Tooling marks are almost non existent and everyone of them I have had or shot have been accurate.

I am missing what happened to make people dislike them so much. My only real complaint is the internals are lower quality then I would expect for the money. But I think the cost is in the fitting

There are many others I like more then Kimber and I am not trying to hype them up it is just something that I don't understand when I see the two side by side. but If I want a good shooter I would take Kimber over "most" Colts any day. But for resale value, you will always get your money back out of a Colt.

Having said all of that I am not a Kimber fan boy I haven't had one forever. actually, I guess I do have one and it is a great gun. Their manufacturing is very good and the frame and slide material is of good quality.
    Most I here badmouthing them always just fall back to MIM parts. My brother had one that was a really good build, I bought mine right after and it wasn't that good or that bad I guess, just never grew on me and I sold it. My BIL had a Taurus and I would say it was better built than my Kimber was, but not by a lot. Just little things I noticed.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My first 1911 was a Colt. 1991A1 Compact. Bought it at a 1500 in 98. Carried it abs put close to 2k rds through it and like an idiot traded it for a full size 1911 in 2016. Wish I’d kept it

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Oh, you mean all the internet Kimber Haters are wrong? I’m glad I have the Kimbers I own. I’ve never had one issues out of any of them and they all shoot great. Still love my Colts too. My current favorites are the Dan Wessons. Anyway, appreciate your work and wealth of knowledge!

:bowdown:
    I’ve owned two Kimbers (super carry and aegis), both of which were purchased from Ingo members, and ran into one issue with each. A grip bushing on the super carry stripped the threads on the frame, which I believe Allen fixed for me. It was pretty strange considering I had never touched the screws and the individual who sold it to me knows better than to overtighten/cross thread them.

The aegis rarely locked back on an empty magazine and wouldn’t accept the Wilson 9mm mags (never found out why). I swapped the magazine springs to no avail. I eventually picked up some MecGar mags and it corrected the issue for the most part.

Aside from that, they were great guns and weren’t even remotely close to the money pits the Springfield and Colt have been. Some may groan at the mention of Sig 1911s, but I’ve yet to have any issues with them at all.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve owned two Kimbers (super carry and aegis), both of which were purchased from Ingo members, and ran into one issue with each. A grip bushing on the super carry stripped the threads on the frame, which I believe Allen fixed for me. It was pretty strange considering I had never touched the screws and the individual who sold it to me knows better than to overtighten/cross thread them.

The aegis rarely locked back on an empty magazine and wouldn’t accept the Wilson 9mm mags (never found out why). I swapped the magazine springs to no avail. I eventually picked up some MecGar mags and it corrected the issue for the most part.

Aside from that, they were great guns and weren’t even remotely close to the money pits the Springfield and Colt have been. Some may groan at the mention of Sig 1911s, but I’ve yet to have any issues with them at all.
    I can’t keep up with all the different names Kimber calls their pistols but I’ve had a half dozen or so over the years. I remember a Super Carry, a couple of Pro somethings and Ultras. I currently own a CDP Pro that I’ve had 14 years and a Stainless Target II in 38 Super. Didn’t care for the Ultras because I just don’t like any 1911 under Commander size anymore. The Super Carry was a beautiful pistol and I never had any issues. I thought it was a bit expensive just to sit around so I traded it for something that I’d use more. The CDP Pro has been a great pistol. Carried it for a long time and it worked great. The Target II is a very fine target pistol. I use Wilson mags in it and they seem to work fine. I’d buy Kimber again.
    Dan Wesson’s are just great pistols in my opinion and as high up the 1911 chain I’d ever need to go. Love mine.
    After saying all that though Colt is my true love in 1911. I have more Colts than any of the rest and they all seem to work fine. Everything from an ACE up to a Delta Gold Cup. The Light Weight Commander is my favorite model. Hopefully I can get an older one in 38 Super.
    Sorry for clogging up your thread Allen.
    Allen has worked on several of my guns and the work has always been exceptional. :thumbsup:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I am curious what this cost overall. I’d love to leave Allen my ATI that has been super reliable for sone upgrades but I’m scared I’d have to give up racing for a couple years!

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I am curious what this cost overall. I’d love to leave Allen my ATI that has been super reliable for sone upgrades but I’m scared I’d have to give up racing for a couple years!
    I don’t feel it’s my place to discuss his pricing but if you’re talking about the cost of this particular project, I have no problem with him telling you via PM.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Is there any specific coating any of y’all would recommend for a daily carry piece? I have acidic sweat so most wear off it get rusty pretty quick.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah yeah, rub it in. My better half has decided we need a new bedroom set, entertainment center, TV, and bunk beds for the kids before I buy any more guns. But hey, at least I know yours will be finished by the time I’m ready to ask lol.
    Well, having a gun you already own, modified is not buying more guns...

Yeah, I'm helping.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    When Kimber first started selling 1911's II bought one that was sent back 4 times and never would run a full 7 rounds with out something wrong. FTF,FTE, Slide Stop not working,, hammer falling to half cock etc. Got my money back from Shoes Gun Shop and bought a Glock gen 2 Model 19 that my son carries today. I could never shot a Glock. Today if someone gave me a Kimber I would take it as they seem to work but would not buy one!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Side stepping here a little and I don't know why I am going here but maybe someone can explain it to me.

Here is what I don't get, the internet loves Colt is full of dislike for Kimber, but when I take a Kimber apart their machining and barrel fit up is top notch. Tooling marks are almost non existent and everyone of them I have had or shot have been accurate.

I am missing what happened to make people dislike them so much. My only real complaint is the internals are lower quality then I would expect for the money. But I think the cost is in the fitting

There are many others I like more then Kimber and I am not trying to hype them up it is just something that I don't understand when I see the two side by side. but If I want a good shooter I would take Kimber over "most" Colts any day. But for resale value, you will always get your money back out of a Colt.

Having said all of that I am not a Kimber fan boy I haven't had one forever. actually, I guess I do have one and it is a great gun. Their manufacturing is very good and the frame and slide material is of good quality.
    I have owned/own many Kimbers and have loved them all. Narry a problem for me And the price point for the more basic models is quie fair.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Most I here badmouthing them always just fall back to MIM parts. My brother had one that was a really good build, I bought mine right after and it wasn't that good or that bad I guess, just never grew on me and I sold it. My BIL had a Taurus and I would say it was better built than my Kimber was, but not by a lot. Just little things I noticed.
    The internet loves the Ruger Ronin. It has a plastic trigger. Im not so sure the MIM Parts thing is that big of a deal used on the right parts in the right places. Its the you get what you pay for thing. If you want a $800 1911 you're going to have to make sacrifices. Nighthawk will be happy to sell someone a all steel pistol fit to perfectionist standards. You will need at least $3500 though.....I think Kimbers are pretty good for the money

Top Bottom