• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yes. That was the most embarrassing regular season loss since the fake-punt game.

Also, it’s just one game. Nobody, including Ballard, thought this was a Super Bowl roster. Not enough pass rush. Not enough weapons on the outside. I’d be absolutely stunned if Reich, Ballard, or Wentz were let go in the off-season.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well back on the Colts season. When the season started I made my predictions, here is my personal report card. Colts finished 9-8, I predicted 6-11. I picked 58% correct before the season began, actually better than many talking heads that are picking game by game. I was right on 10 of 17 games.

The biggest games I missed probably also have the Pats, Cards, and Bills scratching their heads as to how they lost to the Colts…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well back on the Colts season. When the season started I made my predictions, here is my personal report card. Colts finished 9-8, I predicted 6-11. I picked 58% correct before the season began, actually better than many talking heads that are picking game by game. I was right on 10 of 17 games.

The biggest games I missed probably also have the Pats, Cards, and Bills scratching their heads as to how they lost to the Colts…
    Much the same as the Colts are scratching their heads as to how they lost to Jax.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Bills also lost to the Jags. Titans lost to the Texans and Jets. The NFL is just weird sometimes.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I can't say what the problem is, I no longer get to see the games since we moved to PA.

Here are the impressions I gathered from reading the thread on INGO. There were too many games in which they did not play the entire 60 minutes. The play calling was too predictable. The defense was too vanilla. The offensive line couldn't pass block.

I hate to say it, but all of those things are coaching. When you consider that they had more players make the pro bowl than any other team in the league, and they lost the last two games to teams that lost their head coach during the season, with a playoff spot on the line, no less; I think there needs to be a shake up of the coaching staff.

Whether that means Reich, the assistants, or some sort of alteration to the basic philosophy, I don't know. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, sometimes the answer is to stick it out and you make the mistake of starting over just when you were on the cusp of turning the corner. I just think the last two losses were pretty pathetic considering the adversity the opponents encountered this year.

I don't really see what can be done about Wentz. They aren't in a position to be able to move on. There seems to be a difference in opinion regarding him anyway. I just don't get the impression that he is a guy you can depend upon to come through when you need him to.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I hate to say it, but all of those things are coaching. When you consider that they had more players make the pro bowl than any other team in the league, and they lost the last two games to teams that lost their head coach during the season, with a playoff spot on the line, no less; I think there needs to be a shake up of the coaching staff.
    Bingo…

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We need to get back on top of the AFC South. Is Wentz the guy? Is Reich the guy? We need a dominant pass rusher. We need better WR weapons. Lots of questions and concerns going into the off-season. Embrace the suck fellas.
    IMHO the QB position for the Colts has been more along the lines of the next man up mentality since Luck chose to pull the rug out from under everyone. I like Luck, and don't blame him yet didn't like how/when he left (timing of it). I say that because it left the team to rely on their 2nd string Brisset to take the reins. Then they grabbed Rivers to fill the gap and he did that fine. Then when he didn't re-sign, it left the Colts steppin & fetchin to find someone experienced to fill the gap and lead the team and Wentz got that call. I'm sure some of it was because of the working relationship between Reich and Wentz at Philly.
    The O line just hasn't been great at protecting the QB for a long time. They need to find more WR weapons and a serious beast pass rusher for sure. I think they need to be looking for their next franchise QB.
    Again I think Wentz is decent but not as good as many others in the league. Is it just my observation or does he really not seem to be liked by his own teammates on the sidelines? I can't recall seeing him firing the guys up like the better QB's do especially when the chips are down.
    Coaches get the raw deal too often. It's their job to get the team ready. But, watch any dominant team and it's the QB and team leaders that keep the team fired up, motivated and pull each other out of the funk when something goes wrong not the coach. Reich needs to be a little less predictable. Find a way to shake up play calling.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    IMHO the QB position for the Colts has been more along the lines of the next man up mentality since Luck chose to pull the rug out from under everyone. I like Luck, and don't blame him yet didn't like how/when he left (timing of it). I say that because it left the team to rely on their 2nd string Brisset to take the reins. Then they grabbed Rivers to fill the gap and he did that fine. Then when he didn't re-sign, it left the Colts steppin & fetchin to find someone experienced to fill the gap and lead the team and Wentz got that call. I'm sure some of it was because of the working relationship between Reich and Wentz at Philly.
    The O line just hasn't been great at protecting the QB for a long time. They need to find more WR weapons and a serious beast pass rusher for sure. I think they need to be looking for their next franchise QB.
    Again I think Wentz is decent but not as good as many others in the league. Is it just my observation or does he really not seem to be liked by his own teammates on the sidelines? I can't recall seeing him firing the guys up like the better QB's do especially when the chips are down.
    Coaches get the raw deal too often. It's their job to get the team ready. But, watch any dominant team and it's the QB and team leaders that keep the team fired up, motivated and pull each other out of the funk when something goes wrong not the coach. Reich needs to be a little less predictable. Find a way to shake up play calling.

This is all mostly true. On the other hand, there’s maybe three or four teams in the whole league at any given time that have “the guy” at quarterback. It’s so rare. It’s darn near impossible to find. Most of the time it just comes to down to luck, no pun intended. Teams can be stuck in “QB purgatory” for decades. There is no doubt that Andrew Luck royally screwed the franchise when he retired out of nowhere. 100% his decision. 100% hosed the whole city.

Personally I think Wentz is good enough to win in the postseason, and that may have to suffice until the next “the guy” walks in the door.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can't say what the problem is, I no longer get to see the games since we moved to PA.

Here are the impressions I gathered from reading the thread on INGO. There were too many games in which they did not play the entire 60 minutes. The play calling was too predictable. The defense was too vanilla. The offensive line couldn't pass block.

Whether that means Reich, the assistants, or some sort of alteration to the basic philosophy, I don't know. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, sometimes the answer is to stick it out and you make the mistake of starting over just when you were on the cusp of turning the corner. I just think the last two losses were pretty pathetic considering the adversity the opponents encountered this year.

I don't really see what can be done about Wentz. They aren't in a position to be able to move on. There seems to be a difference in opinion regarding him anyway. I just don't get the impression that he is a guy you can depend upon to come through when you need him to.
    I'm not arguing, because you make some good points. But I think the number of Pro Bowl players was because of the push that was made to try to make the playoffs. For a stretch they played like real beasts. That was partly coaching and partly player to player motivation keeping each other in the game.
    I think the players downplayed the Raiders and Jax due to their records and organizational issues. Basically they just didn't take them serious enough and just went through the motions. The coach can talk, scream and jump up & down but if the players don't have their minds right they won't succeed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This seems to cover some of it'
    Who in the hell kept sending a run play right into the entire defense waiting with claws extended? Our line could not or just did not want to push those brutes aside. Far too many dropped balls that should have been caught. A few were on Wentz or maybe our guy just did not get out as far as he should have. Total disarray. Wentz scrambled for a couple of 1sts, but he is not that mobile. His body took a terrible beating out east and today they were up his butt way too much.

The play calling is pretty lame and has been. Especial 4th and goal on the 1. He has not busted the line all day why now.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is all mostly true. On the other hand, there’s maybe three or four teams in the whole league at any given time that have “the guy” at quarterback. It’s so rare. It’s darn near impossible to find. Most of the time it just comes to down to luck, no pun intended. Teams can be stuck in “QB purgatory” for decades. There is no doubt that Andrew Luck royally screwed the franchise when he retired out of nowhere. 100% his decision. 100% hosed the whole city.

Personally I think Wentz is good enough to win in the postseason, and that may have to suffice until the next “the guy” walks in the door.
    I think Wentz can win in the postseason too. But he will absolutely need dang near the best O line to do it well. I certainly could be wrong in my perspective. But, when he has to move out of the pocket or the pocket collapses, it's almost like he gets tunnel vision.
    Look at Brady, Rogers, Mahomes even Big Ben and when they gotta move they keep looking down field for someone open. Wentz seems to just go to whoever he sees first.

QB purgatory sucks

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This seems to cover some of it'
    Who in the hell kept sending a run play right into the entire defense waiting with claws extended? Our line could not or just did not want to push those brutes aside. Far too many dropped balls that should have been caught. A few were on Wentz or maybe our guy just did not get out as far as he should have. Total disarray. Wentz scrambled for a couple of 1sts, but he is not that mobile. His body took a terrible beating out east and today they were up his butt way too much.

The play calling is pretty lame and has been. Especial 4th and goal on the 1. He has not busted the line all day why now.
    On the surface I mostly agree. We all know QBs waive off a call and go to the back up play depending on what they read from the D. How often has that happened or maybe misread the D vs how often was it just plain lame play calling from coach?
    Coaching is a factor but not the only factor in play calling. Reich certainly needs to shake up the playbook and use the whole book though

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Serious question: Who’s fault is it that Wentz suffered a one-in-a-million foot injury that completely derailed training camp and the first 4-6 weeks of the season?
    Well you can't really predict injuries. S*** happens and is a sucky part of the game.
    It's an impossible balancing act to train and practice hard and not have injuries. Being too cautious leads to just going through the motions

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It seems to be the fad thing to bash Wentz. Why? NO quarterback in the NFL can accurately deliver the football when they`re being pulled down before they can even drop back and have time to set their feet and throw. So far, seemingly Indy has resisted the urge to out a running back under center. There`s a huge difference between a scrambling quarterback and a running quearterback. Personally, I have zero interest in a running quarterback. The role of the quarterback position is to delives the football down the field to receivers, if not handing off to the running back. I understand some will have different likes and expectations, but mine are to have a true quarterback, NOT a running back under center.

Although Wentz isn`t likely a franchise quarterback, he still is very serviceable and adequate. Think back to Brissett... yet, still, Wentz has shown flashes of greatness when given time to drop back, set his feet, step up and follow-thru when throwing the football.

The coaching in Indianapolis is suspect, and ultimately answerable for how this team fares. It`s the responsibility of the coaching staff to not only ensure that players are competent in the basics of their position, but as well to motivate, direct, and ensure that their team is ready to play! When the coaches call plays instead of the quarterback, (even though the quarterback can audible out of any called play), again, ultimately, the coaching staff is responsible, and the head coach most of all. The play callling, in my opinion, has been predictable, uninspired, and entirely lacking at the NFL level.

At this point, I would consider whether a change is necessary at the General Manager level as well. This team has the physical talent, but they simply are not playing consistently at the level they are clearly capable of.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom