Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Positives from today:

Taylor is still awesome (161yds, 1TD)
    Pittman is still awesome (121yds, 1TD)
    Really good to see Kwity Paye get involved (2 sacks)
    No injuries
    Technically still undefeated :dunno:

Negatives from today:
    Special teams was bad
    O-line was not good
    Really no offensive options outside of Taylor/Pittman
    Matt Ryan was meh
    Defense got no pressure on the QB for most of the game

After some time away, I think Matt Ryan did fine. Yeah the INT wasn’t great. Also, he threw for over 350yds, should’ve had 3 TD passes, and put them in position to win the game in OT.

Have to get the o-line figured out. After the Nelson deal, it’s one of the most expenses o-lines in football and the product on the field does not match the paychecks.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    It has always been one extra period and if no score in that period the game ended in a tie. The exception is playoffs where a winner must be determined, then they play extra periods until a team wins as explained below.

As long as I remember the first score wins OT until a few years ago they changed it to if the first team to possess the ball gets a TD they win, they get a FG then the other team gets a chance to tie with FG, next team to score wins, or a TD to win…

No, I distinctly remember watching games in the 60s and 70s that went for multiple OT quarters, and there were no ties.

Back when the Raiders and Cowboys were good.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    No, I distinctly remember watching games in the 60s and 70s that went for multiple OT quarters, and there were no ties.

Back when the Raiders and Cowboys were good.
    I don’t even talk to people about football that don’t know or like Tom Landry, even if you aren’t a cowboys fan, (I’m not). But respect, that’s a different discussion.

The computer generation needs to watch some u-tubes of the Black and Blue division in the 60’s. That’s football. JMO.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Negatives from today:
    Special teams was bad
    O-line was not good
    Really no offensive options outside of Taylor/Pittman
    Matt Ryan was meh
    Defense got no pressure on the QB for most of the game
    I think Matt Ryan was fine. He had, what, 4 TD passes dropped by receivers?

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Post #1,721

He was good enough. The red zone struggles weren’t his fault. TD drops and whatever that wildcat call was killed us.
    Which one? I saw two the wildcat and the unsportsmanlike. Ya it’s a rule I know but a 15 yard rule. If I was going to find fault (and I’m not) it’s the punting mistakes and the field goal mistake. JMO.

Go Bears.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Which one? I saw two the wildcat and the unsportsmanlike. Ya it’s a rule I know but a 15 yard rule. If I was going to find fault (and I’m not) it’s the punting mistakes and the field goal mistake. JMO.

Go Bears.
    I assume you mean the kickoff mistakes? And if so: yes, absolutely inexcusable. Kicking OB twice in a row when the other team only needs a FG is just unfathomable.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I assume you mean the kickoff mistakes? And if so: yes, absolutely inexcusable. Kicking OB twice in a row when the other team only needs a FG is just unfathomable.
    Yep, twice. Almost inexcusable.

Thinking there may be some repercussions, but depending on the coaches opinion he may just get a lot more coaching or could be the alternative outcome. I know what I think but I’m not the coach.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yep, twice. Almost inexcusable.

Thinking there may be some repercussions, but depending on the coaches opinion he may just get a lot more coaching or could be the alternative outcome. I know what I think but I’m not the coach.

Our punter (who normally has kickoff duties) being out for the season is a big deal.

On Blankenship - they did bring in another kicker to compete against him in training camp and Rodrigo won the job. Not real sure what else they can so. There’s maybe two or three guys in the league that are just aliens (Justin Tucker), otherwise everybody else is just a fallible human kicker. Maybe they bring back Badgley. I don’t really know what else they can do.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Our punter (who normally has kickoff duties) being out for the season is a big deal.

On Blankenship - they did bring in another kicker to compete against him in training camp and Rodrigo won the job. Not real sure what else they can so. There’s maybe two or three guys in the league that are just aliens (Justin Tucker), otherwise everybody else is just a fallible human kicker. Maybe they bring back Badgley. I don’t really know what else they can do.
    Like you say, he won the job. So it appears the ability is there. Maybe just a matter of coaching him up. But I’m not a good judge of those things, I wrestled.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    During Reich’s media availability today, he didn’t exactly give a ringing endorsement of Blankenship. Reich said that he would discuss it with Ballard during their roster evaluation this evening.

Reactions: Mij

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

There's one primary thing the place kicker has to do on kickoffs: not kick the ball out of bounds. Especially when trying to keep the other team from getting into field goal range.

But on top of that, IIRC, he has missed average-distance game-winning FG tries in each of his past two games (prior game, 2021, missed 47-yd attempt vs Baltimore, sending the game into OT, and resulting in a Colts loss). He also missed a 33-yd attempt in the 3-point playoff loss to Buffalo in 2020.

Kickers miss. They're human. But kickers who routinely miss big/important kicks don't tend to stick around very long.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    There's one primary thing the place kicker has to do on kickoffs: not kick the ball out of bounds. Especially when trying to keep the other team from getting into field goal range.

But on top of that, IIRC, he has missed average-distance game-winning FG tries in each of his past two games (prior game, 2021, missed 47-yd attempt vs Baltimore, sending the game into OT, and resulting in a Colts loss). He also missed a 33-yd attempt in the 3-point playoff loss to Buffalo in 2020.

Kickers miss. They're human. But kickers who routinely miss big/important kicks don't tend to stick around very long.

Agreed. I don’t think he’s long for this roster.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom