• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The NFL is fearful the viewers will stop watching in that scenario…
    I'm not sure I understand being concerned about losing a viewer who has already been watching a game with a tied score and going to OT. If that's their concern, they should really be reevaluating the start time of the late games as one has to wonder how many viewers stop watching because they have to get up the next morning. Also, maybe that should be a considering factor in moving the Super Bowl to Saturday night rather than Sunday?? I think viewers are less likely to stop watching a close game as opposed to a blow out anyway. Just my .02 cents

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If that's their concern, they should really be reevaluating the start time of the late games as one has to wonder how many viewers stop watching because they have to get up the next morning.
    Amen to this! I also agree that Saturday would make more sense for the Super Bowls too, especially for early risers like me.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I saw an interesting proposal for OT. A kind of penalty shot set up. Both teams have their offenses and defenses on the field at opposite ends. Team A tries a two point conversion, 40 seconds later team B gets to try and match or win, and it would alternate ended until a winner…
    Anything would be an improvement over the stupid way it is now.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I like the college format.

Each offense gets it around the 25 or 30 yd line. Each team gets a chance to possess it. If the first team gets a FG and the second team gets a TD, game over. If it’s still tied, do it again.

It is not only fairer, it is more exciting and takes less time since it doesn't involve going the length of the field. IIRC, it also switches to simply doing 2-point conversions if there isn't a winner after the first two possessions in order to limit the potential length of OT.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Amen to this! I also agree that Saturday would make more sense for the Super Bowls too, especially for early risers like me.
    I haven't watched a SB in many, many years. I suppose it works great for getting viewers on the West coast, but it sucks for us.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    At this point, seeing the free agent qb list, draft qb list, and the trade assets that the Colts have, I’ll go on record and say that I think Wentz will be the starter next year. Honestly I’ll be more surprised if he isn’t.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not sure I understand being concerned about losing a viewer who has already been watching a game with a tied score and going to OT. If that's their concern, they should really be reevaluating the start time of the late games as one has to wonder how many viewers stop watching because they have to get up the next morning. Also, maybe that should be a considering factor in moving the Super Bowl to Saturday night rather than Sunday?? I think viewers are less likely to stop watching a close game as opposed to a blow out anyway. Just my .02 cents
    What time pacific time should the evening games start?

As it is the Sunday games start at 1pm east coast, 10am west coast, how would you change these?

Late Sunday games start at about 4pm east coast, 1pm west coast, how would you change these?

Sunday night games start at 8pm east coast. 5pm west coast, how would you change these?

Monday, and Thursday night games start at 8pm east coast. 5pm west coast, how would you change these?

Seems to me the NFL has split the time about as well as can be. Any earlier on the evening games and they will begin before the end of the 8-5 workday.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Also, maybe that should be a considering factor in moving the Super Bowl to Saturday night rather than Sunday??
    While the SB is a TV event for most of us it is long weekend event at the site, culminating in the actual game late Sunday. They certainly have no problem getting viewers with the current schedule.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

As it is the Sunday games start at 1pm east coast, 10am west coast, how would you change these?

Late Sunday games start at about 4pm east coast, 1pm west coast, how would you change these?

Sunday night games start at 8pm east coast. 5pm west coast, how would you change these?

Monday, and Thursday night games start at 8pm east coast. 5pm west coast, how would you change these?

Seems to me the NFL has split the time about as well as can be. Any earlier on the evening games and they will begin before the end of the 8-5 workday.
    West coast? Eh, screw those guys. :p

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Ok first off I wasn't complaining about the times. I was just responding to a statement that was made regarding a concern that viewers maybe lost if OT was any longer.
    However, I do think overall the game times are split about as well as they can be.
    I don't think start time really makes all that much difference in terms of time zones. They could move the Sunday 8pm games to 7pm and wouldn't see any drop in viewers. If the 8pm game starts at 5pm on the west coast, probably the majority of viewers are either missing the start or taking time off work to watch anyway. Look at other huge events such as the Indy 500 or Daytona 500. What time do those start? Somewhere around noon eastern right? So what 9am west coast. People still find a way to tune in for those events.
    As for the Super Bowl, I understand it's an all weekend event for those attending. And, longer for those who live where it's being held. But, given there are no other games that day they could easily move the start time up to 4 or 5pm. Now, I don't think they will change a thing and that's fine. Just saying they could without effecting viewers

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    He would be a great option anyway

Edit- but, I still don't think Reich is the problem. There are players that would make a more significant difference. That's where it really needs to happen
    His teams were not prepared to play the final two games. Play calling is not creative, it is predictable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom