Colt 1911 pattern semiauto quality, new production. Are they good to go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I'm looking to pick up another 1911 pattern pistol, this time in 9mm. Missed out on one recently because I was just too busy to spare the time to close the deal. I'm poking around for a Colt (among others), but I know Colt was making some dumb decisions for a while. Seems like they've bounced back though.

I'm specifically looking for a Colt Defender, blue, in 9mm. Anyone here have any input on new production Colts in general, or Defenders specifically? Are they producing quality firearms, or cost cutting for the sake of profitability? How's the fit and finish?

I know I could look up reviews elsewhwere, but I'd prefer to hear from you guys who have actual gun-in-hand opinions, not paid shills for or against.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Last Colt I had was also my first, 1991a1 compact. It was a good gun used for $450. Not sure anything they make is worth the price they’re selling with the competition they have.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    If you want to look at new Colt 1911s Top Gun in Tera Haute has about 15 of them in all flavors. Including a defender. I have never seen as many anywhere else.
    I see they have one on Gunbroker. I checked their website a couple days ago and it said it was out of stock. I checked again today and it's not even on their website, but the gunbroker auction is still up. I'll have to call them tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I see they have one on Gunbroker. I checked their website a couple days ago and it said it was out of stock. I checked again today and it's not even on their website, but the gunbroker auction is still up. I'll have to call them tomorrow.
    There website is crap i know. But I can say with 80% certainty that you will find at least 8 1911s and 8-10 Colt revolvers. If your really wanting a new Colt 1911 it would be worth the trip.
    I would call first though and just for clarification I'm not recommending them I really have no experience there other than a gawking passer by that cant pass a LGS in my travels

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Something to keep in mind is current Colt is utilizing MIM parts in the fire control, as well as some other parts like safeties, etc. This isn't the death of the pistol as some would allude, but those parts simply won't last as long as a good billet machine part IMO.

Dan Wesson (who like another member mentioned owns Colt) are fully machined parts for a rather affordable bump in price.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Something to keep in mind is current Colt is utilizing MIM parts in the fire control, as well as some other parts like safeties, etc. This isn't the death of the pistol as some would allude, but those parts simply won't last as long as a good billet machine part IMO.

Dan Wesson (who like another member mentioned owns Colt) are fully machined parts for a rather affordable bump in price.
    Awhile back when ChurchMouse was with us we as in INGO had a debate so to speak.
    IIRC It really came down to the quality of the mim parts. As some are high quality, and some are not.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    I have heard good things since Colt was acquired by CZ but have not handled one. Prior to that theres better for the money. But CZ/Dan Wesson makes really fine 1911s and Colt being under that umbrella I'd imagine it's worth the money.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

There are only 3 small MIM parts in current Colts. (Sear, disconnector and Mag Catch) not parts that will wear like others!) Most mortal gun users won’t wear them out. Now if one is a professional student or shoots IDPA/USPSA the. No matter if MIM or Steel those would be normal wear maintenance items anyway would they not? Just if you want 10,000 rounds or 20,000 rounds

I have Springfield 1911’s with almost all MIM internals with way more rounds than that so I’d say the MIM concern is overrated

As far as Colts Quality is up there the past several years. Picked up a competition in 45 in 2017 and have used it a few seasons in matches with no issues.

1911’s will/can require a little more attention than a sticker Polymer gun not a big deal though

I’m pondering a 9mm Combat Commander as my next toy.

Last edited:

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Didn't mean to start a fire with the machined vs MIM debate.

I agree there are differences in quality with all components, and certainly there are good and bad parts manufactured both ways.

The unavoidable truth is due to the nature of MIM construction, it  is possible though  unlikely for a part to contain a void, irregular grain, excess binder, etc. These flaws are not visible to the eye as they are internal to the part. However, they can lead to spontaneous part failure with little to no warning. Sometimes at high round counts. Sometimes at low round counts.

Before moving out here to IN I worked for a weapons manufacturer in PA that used an large amount of MIM parts. I would say the vast majority were perfectly fine. Dimensional inconsistency was very rare. Complete part failure during normal circumstances wasn't unheard of. With machined parts almost the exact opposite is true.

The "issue" (if you want to call it that, it's a matter of taste) I take with the use of MIM in the 1911 is certain parts, like the sear, that lead to a completely inoperable or unsafe weapon in the case of part failure. Things like grip safeties, to a degree thumb safeties, and other parts that done directly control when the gun goes off I have much less issues with.

All done derailing the thread now. Carry on!

Top Bottom